MTA Bus Exams 7300 & 9309

SevenEleven
Message added by +Young+

Here is the latest Notice of Examination for the part-time position for informational purposes.

Good luck and don't forget to check those mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds!

2 hours ago, snooby said:

So from what I'm understanding, this isn't going to be like a test and then you get a list number. You will just get a random list number around October, and they will call off of that to take the BOSS exam? (Is this easy, sounds like it's just simple questions?)

That's correct. That's why the fourth page of the Notice of Examination states that if you successfully took the BOSS for another examination, you don't have to take it again for this examination, since it's the same exam. As far as some sample questions, click here. Keep in mind, that, just like during the 10-day training session, tell them what they want to hear.

Also I didn't know there were difference between MTA Bus Company and other tests. 9309 seems to be MTA Bus Company. I live in Staten Island right now. Would I be able to get into a Staten Island depot possibly with this one? I could probably stick it out for a couple years if I can't get into Staten Island right away, but obviously being closer to home would be best

As @msmcmillan said in the prior post, you won't be able to. If you click here and here, you'll be able to view what's MTA Bus Company, which is what you applied for, and what is NYCTA.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the replies guys. Sucks this one has no Staten Island places, but I'll see what random list number I get and go from there. I think I just missed the NYCTA test a couple months ago? Does anybody know when the next test for that will be coming up? Is that one that I would find on DCAS? I check that pretty often but haven't seen it coming up

Thanks for the replies guys. Sucks this one has no Staten Island places, but I'll see what random list number I get and go from there. I think I just missed the NYCTA test a couple months ago? Does anybody know when the next test for that will be coming up? Is that one that I would find on DCAS? I check that pretty often but haven't seen it coming up

Yeah, the NYCTA exam is going to be administered in a couple of weeks. As far as when the next one, it's probably not going to be for a while. You would find all of the information on this page. However, the trick is to get in. Once you're in, the transfer from MTA Bus to NYCTA is not that hard.

Good luck!!

12 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Yeah, the NYCTA exam is going to be administered in a couple of weeks. As far as when the next one, it's probably not going to be for a while. You would find all of the information on this page. However, the trick is to get in. Once you're in, the transfer from MTA Bus to NYCTA is not that hard.

Good luck!!

Yeah makes sense. So if I get a good list number for MTA Bus I'll probably take it and deal with having to go to brooklyn or wherever and stick it out, and try to get to NYCTA whenever I can.

Does it take long to get a CDL permit? Like should I be doing that stuff now? Or waiting until I see if I'll even get called for this

8 hours ago, snooby said:

Does it take long to get a CDL permit? Like should I be doing that stuff now? Or waiting until I see if I'll even get called for this

It doesn't take that long, you just have to go to DMV and take a some multiple choice exams for General Knowledge, Passenger and Air Brake. It would be recommended to take the School Bus exam as well. This way, later on in your life, if you want to drive a school bus, you don't have to take a second road test in the same vehicle just for another endorsement. If you need help studying, click here and look for the "practice tests" on the top left of the page.

As far as whether you want to do it now - that's up to you. Some people have managed to qualify on Day 7 with a Learner's Permit followed by passing the road test afterwards. Other folks, like me, already have the CDL and are not only currently employed as a Bus Driver/Operator in some capacity, but are also getting invaluable experience. Click here for a 'few' job opportunities.

Just note that once you get the permit, it's good for 6 months. For more information for New York State residents, click here.

Therefore, it's up to you...

Edited by +Young+

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for 9309 and have a few questions for "+Young+", if you can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. I currently live in Seattle, WA, and that's the address I put on the application. I know it says "New York City residency is not required for this position" but do you think this will be a problem during the hiring process? Will they still send me an Admission Letter with the random list #?

2. On the application page, I didn't see anywhere to attach a resume, is this normal?

3. Will I need to be present in person for the driving record review, and criminal and work record review?

4. Is there an interview?

I'm currently a Bus Operator in Seattle, so I wouldn't want to quit until I know 100% I will be appointed. Do you think this is possible? Any and all info is welcome.

Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, GoneForTheWinter said:

I applied for 9309 and have a few questions for "+Young+", if you can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. I currently live in Seattle, WA, and that's the address I put on the application. I know it says "New York City residency is not required for this position" but do you think this will be a problem during the hiring process? Will they still send me an Admission Letter with the random list #?

2. On the application page, I didn't see anywhere to attach a resume, is this normal?

3. Will I need to be present in person for the driving record review, and criminal and work record review?

4. Is there an interview?

I'm currently a Bus Operator in Seattle, so I wouldn't want to quit until I know 100% I will be appointed. Do you think this is possible? Any and all info is welcome.

Thank you very much.

First of all, welcome from Seattle!! As far as your questions are concerned:

#1) The fact that you live in Seattle will and will not be a problem. As far as receiving your admission letter and eventually sending you a random list number, that will not be a problem. However, once you report to 180 Livingston Street for employment processing, they only accept a CDL from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania - therefore, in order to be successful, you're going to have to switch your CDL over at some point or another. In addition, if you switch your CDL over to New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, they're going to need an abstract which is less than 30 days old from both Washington and whatever other state. If you switch your CDL over to New York, then they'll just need the abstract from Washington.

#2) The fact that you didn't attach a resume is normal since there are no formal education or experience requirements for Bus Operator.

#3) Yes, you will need to be present for the driving record, work record and criminal record review, if you have one. Otherwise, the four words the HR Department wants to hear are "None and Nothing Pending."

#4) There really is "not" an interview - instead, once you get through Human Resources, you will undergo a 10-day training session (click here for more information on that). If you do not qualify on Days 7, 9 or 10, which happened to me a little over 5 years ago, not only will you be terminated, but you won't be able to try again for 5 years. Therefore, like they say in Final Processing, once you get there, it is recommended if you can take a leave of absence, or a vacation, or something to that nature from your current job in the event you do not make it.

In addition, I would encourage you to watch this 3-minute YouTube video titled "Bus Operator Safety Training":

Hopefully all of this helps. Again, welcome from Seattle!!

Edited by +Young+

6 hours ago, +Young+ said:

First of all, welcome from Seattle!! As far as your questions are concerned:

#1) The fact that you live in Seattle will and will not be a problem. As far as receiving your admission letter and eventually sending you a random list number, that will not be a problem. However, once you report to 180 Livingston Street for employment processing, they only accept a CDL from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania - therefore, in order to be successful, you're going to have to switch your CDL over at some point or another. In addition, if you switch your CDL over to New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, they're going to need an abstract which is less than 30 days old from both Washington and whatever other state. If you switch your CDL over to New York, then they'll just need the abstract from Washington.

#2) The fact that you didn't attach a resume is normal since there are no formal education or experience requirements for Bus Operator.

#3) Yes, you will need to be present for the driving record, work record and criminal record review, if you have one. Otherwise, the four words the HR Department wants to hear are "None and Nothing Pending."

#4) There really is "not" an interview - instead, once you get through Human Resources, you will undergo a 10-day training session (click here for more information on that). If you do not qualify on Days 7, 9 or 10, which happened to me a little over 5 years ago, not only will you be terminated, but you won't be able to try again for 5 years. Therefore, like they say in Final Processing, once you get there, it is recommended if you can take a leave of absence, or a vacation, or something to that nature from your current job in the event you do not make it.

In addition, I would encourage you to watch this 3-minute YouTube video titled "Bus Operator Safety Training":

Hopefully all of this helps. Again, welcome from Seattle!!

That info definitely helped a lot and thanks for the quick response!! Glad these forums exist.

Just to follow up...

1) You said "once you report to 180 Livingston Street for employment processing". What exact point would this be? I assume this is after training since you said they don't recommend quitting your current job in the case you don't make it through training.

2) Ok good.

3) I have clean records all around so I guess I shouldn't have to be present for this...  

4) Do you remember how long it took to get from the drug test, records' reviews stage to being in training class? Weeks? Months?

And the million dollar question, I know it depends on the # your given....but any idea how long its taking on average these days to get your # called? Is it still years, possibly?

Thanks again.

@GoneForTheWinter: 

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't mean to be rude but why would you wanna leave Seattle, Washington for NYC,NY ? 

NYC is overrated, overpriced, congested and polluted. I'm still asking myself the question as to why haven't I just grabbed my bags and moved to say Colorado (Colorado is beautiful.. if you haven't been there then I strongly suggest visiting). 

I'm on the job for two and a half months and I'm contemplating if I should go any further. 

First the pay is a joke, $23.xx at start that's like 50k annually and even if you manage to survive to the beginning of the sixth year and you start making $34.xx that's only like 71k annually. (Keep in mind just to live comfortably here in NYC as a renter you gotta be making about $39.xx so that's about 80k annually. You can forget about buy a piece of property by yourself on 80k)

I was completely heartbroken when I realized how poorly MTA treats B/O's. You can end up working a 13hr shift and only getting paid 12hrs for it IN STANDARD PAY RATE..  So many questions came up and the only answer i got was "well that's how it is here, you don't like it then leave". 

Apparently B/O's here in NYC MTA only get OVERTIME PAY RATE if they work on their day off, work on their swing time (aka break/meal time between 1st half of their shift and 2nd half of their shift) or you come back late after your clear time aka the time you were supposed come back to the Depot but you were late due to traffic or whatever the case was, but coming late after clear time will probably be only like 15min, 20min or maybe 30min. On top of that the Dispatcher might screw you just because and never process your late slip aka overtime slip like they did to me on Sunday.

Now I gotta go see the union office  on my day off and file a report. F**king BS.. Sorry for going off but truth has to be heard. Wish I knew what I know now before I started. 

Edited by +Young+

15 hours ago, GoneForTheWinter said:

That info definitely helped a lot and thanks for the quick response!! Glad these forums exist.

Just to follow up...

1) You said "once you report to 180 Livingston Street for employment processing". What exact point would this be? I assume this is after training since you said they don't recommend quitting your current job in the case you don't make it through training.

2) Ok good.

3) I have clean records all around so I guess I shouldn't have to be present for this...  

4) Do you remember how long it took to get from the drug test, records' reviews stage to being in training class? Weeks? Months?

And the million dollar question, I know it depends on the # your given....but any idea how long its taking on average these days to get your # called? Is it still years, possibly?

Thanks again.

As far as #1 is concerned, this would be before training and, as far as when, you just have to take an "educated" guess and go with it. Keep in mind that posting on this site is voluntary and the Human Resources Office does not hold vacancies. I know a lot of people, including myself, are known for calling out 'sick' for a day, even if that includes waiting at least 4+ hours to take a drug test for whatever reason.

In regards to #4 and the "million dollar question," again it all depends on your number and on their hiring needs. It could take a year or two if you have a high number, however once you submit to the first drug test, it could be a couple of weeks, it could be a couple of months...it all depends on their hiring needs.

6 hours ago, MaxFever said:

@+Young +: 

I'm on the job two and a half months now and for my group we had to be perfect on day 6 AND 7 to be qualified on day 7. They are getting more strict.

I hear ya, however it all comes down to the Superintendent. From talking to @Mr NewFlyer, his Day 6 was perfect, and, although he made a very small error on Day 7, he still qualified and moved on to line training. And he qualified approximately 8 months ago.

5 hours ago, MaxFever said:

...I'm on the job for two and a half months and I'm contemplating if I should go any further. 

First the pay is a joke, $23.xx at start that's like 50k annually and even if you manage to survive to the beginning of the sixth year and you start making $34.xx that's only like 71k annually. (Keep in mind just to live comfortably here in NYC as a renter you gotta be making about $39.xx so that's about 80k annually. You can forget about buy a piece of property by yourself on 80k)

I was completely heartbroken when I realized how poorly MTA treats B/O's. You can end up working a 13hr shift and only getting paid 12hrs for it IN STANDARD PAY RATE..  So many questions came up and the only answer i got was "well that's how it is here, you don't like it then leave". 

Apparently B/O's here in NYC MTA only get OVERTIME PAY RATE if they work on their day off, work on their swing time (aka break/meal time between 1st half of their shift and 2nd half of their shift) or you come back late after your clear time aka the time you were supposed come back to the Depot but you were late due to traffic or whatever the case was, but coming late after clear time will probably be only like 15min, 20min or maybe 30min. On top of that the Dispatcher might screw you just because and never process your late slip aka overtime slip like they did to me on Sunday.

Now I gotta go see the union office  on my day off and file a report. F**king BS.. Sorry for going off but truth has to be heard. Wish I knew what I know now before I started. 

First, please watch the cursing. What you did was unacceptable.

Second, @MaxFever, you're with MTA Bus Company, correct? Have you thought about taking the civil service exam for TA and switching over? Have you considered taking a promotional exam for MTA Bus Company?

Yes, it is hard at first, however, just like with any other company, as time progresses, you gain seniority and things get better.

Edited by +Young+

@+Young +:  With all due respect and  For the record I took a screenshot of my post prior to you editing my censored foul word, please don’t edit my censored word and make it SO OBVIOUS. I wrote it a certain way .. at this point you might as well delete it since you have such high authority on this site to edit other members words. 

@+Young +:  

Its not about being fed up, it’s about how most of us gave up careers with decades of experience to server the City and nobody out there was brave enough to say exactly how it is.

An honest down to earth B/O will tell you off the bat that being an Operator is no longer a great position. Maintenance workers get treated much better.. if they work 12hrs then it’s 8hrs standard rate pay and 4hr overtime rate pay. 

Haven't been on here in awhile lol.

@GoneForTheWinter I'm 8 months in and got 4 more to go before I finish with probation. And one thing I want to point out to you since your thinking about moving to NY to work for the MTA, Remember you also have to go through ONE year on probation. Which means you only really got the job AFTER you complete the one year of probation.

During your time on probation Union doesn't really have your back 100% as they do for the people that already past probation. But they're happily taking your union dues . So if something happens during probation they can extend your probation or terminate you.

I personally know 2 people that were on probation that kind of got screwed over. Just last week one of my friends got forced to either resign or get fired. He choose to resign, so now he has to wait 5 years to come back. And the reason, someone fell on his bus and "claimed" an injury, that person told him "yea screw you, I'm going to get some money now". So he's now out of a job. 2nd person same thing happened but different situation. Was driving the bus and a small kid ran out into the street in front of his bus (late at night). So to not run over the kid, he hit the brakes. Didn't hit the kid and no one was hurt. But someone on his bus called and reported that he hit the brakes to hard. And even though no one was injured, they forced him to resign.

It's very difficult to keep this job, even if your by the book. A lot of things can happen/go wrong that can screw you over.

I'm only in it because I really love to drive and I love buses. Ever since a kid I wanted to be an operator. So I'm just following my dreams.
I'm single with no kids so I can put away / invest even with what they pay to start. So in my 6th year I'll be set. Plus also it's good to know that once I retire, I'll have a pension check coming in. And if I ever have a family and something happens to me, they will be covered.

This job isn't for everyone, if you really only just want a check. Just get a different job. But if you love to drive. This job is one of the sweetest most easiest jobs I ever had. Like it was mentioned there is a lot of BS you gotta deal with. Not even going to sugarcoat it. But like with anything in life. Everything good has its bads too.

Also want to point this out: when you start, you will start at the bottom and be on the "extra list" which for me was great. Made a lot of money while on it. But If you have a family, it can be difficult. Reporting every day different times and clearing different times can be difficult for some. Also depending what depot you pick into, you might be on the list awhile if it's a high seniority depot. So just remember when you start the schedule might be crazy and you gotta be flexible to work the schedules no one else wants.

This operators job is to get your foot in the door of the MTA. Once your in you have to move around. Take the dispatchers test and move up. I'm thinking of taking the test for the train conductors when it goes up. Don't just stay a bus operator. You can make more money you just gotta be patient and smart.

@Mr NewFlyer 

That's my intention, get my foot in the door then move up. Been a B/O for years so I know about all of the challenges in the beginning. Its not easy and def don't want to do it all over again but, NY is home. Left 6 yrs ago and miss it.

You mentioned train conductor, that's where I see myself too. 

@MaxFever @+Young+

Glad you mentioned you don't get OT after 8 hrs. That's kind of a big deal and makes a huge difference. Young said about switching to TA, so do they get OT after 8hrs? I'm gonna look into TA more, but MTA bus is the only one taking applications right now.

54 minutes ago, GoneForTheWinter said:

@+Young+

Glad you mentioned you don't get OT after 8 hrs. That's kind of a big deal and makes a huge difference. Young said about switching to TA, so do they get OT after 8hrs? I'm gonna look into TA more, but MTA bus is the only one taking applications right now.

Ever since the MTA took over the seven private bus companies (click here for more information), both companies work the same way.  The main advantage with TA (NYCTA) is that it is civil service, while OA (MaBSTOA) & BC (Bus Company) are not civil service. Although there are other differences, which I would encourage somebody else to list, since I'm not 100% familiar with this, I believe this is the biggest difference.

Edited by +Young+

19 hours ago, GoneForTheWinter said:

@Mr NewFlyer 

That's my intention, get my foot in the door then move up. Been a B/O for years so I know about all of the challenges in the beginning. Its not easy and def don't want to do it all over again but, NY is home. Left 6 yrs ago and miss it.

You mentioned train conductor, that's where I see myself too. 

@MaxFever @+Young+

Just a little brief information in regards to the different agency division within department of buses. You can find more information all over the Transit Forum that has been explained the difference between TA, OA, and MTA Bus Co.

If you look at under the umbrella of MTA is broken up into different agency division departments for example:

Rail: Subways, Long Island Rail Road, Metro North, Staten Island Rails

Surface Transportation:  MTA New York City Transit Authority (TA),  MaBSTOA- Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (OA)  , MTA Bus Co and Access A Ride which is contracted to private paratransit companies

Security and Treasury:  MTA Police, MTA Security , Bridge and Tunnels

*The list goes on and on but that can be shared within another thread......

Department of Buses:

TA: Solely operates bus routes within the Borough of Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. TA is civil service which falls under the plan of NYCER Pension plan. 

OA: Solely operates bus routes within the borough of Manhattan and The Bronx. OA pension is monitored by NYCER and is solely TA other half of the operation. In other words if this was a family base tree, OA would be TA Sister or brother within the family.

MTA Bus Co:  Private bus companies that use to operate within the facility portion of Brooklyn, Queens, East and West Chester County. Companies that were taken over by MTA were as the following; "Triboro Coach, Green Line, Jamaica Buses, Commando, Liberty Line, Queens Surface.

MTA Long Island Bus: Use to operate by MTA until they sold the routes to another company that are now operating the regional of Long Island called "NICE"

When we compared apples to apples, both TA and OA are the same except for TA is protected by the civil service law where OA is not. Both these agency has the same pay same contract everything. Remember they are like brother and sisters. When it comes to operators picking consolidating, Both TA and OA can pick within each other depot as the following.

TA operators can pick within an OA depots operation "Manhattan and Bronx" , Any depot in Brooklyn. In order to work in a Queens (Queens Villiage, Casey Stengel, Jamaica Depot) or Staten Island depot as an TA operator, you have to request a transfer within the depot management and union officer. The transfer will be based on seniority listing only and if a vacant within the depot you want to transfer within the two borough is available you will be offered but with a condition that if you accept the transfer you will be stuck over there for the rest of your remaining career unless you get promoted into a higher position such as "Surface Dispatcher or Superintendent"

*Promotion to become Surface Dispatcher as an TA you will be supervising within the division of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island TA division.

*Promotion to become a Train Operator only available for TA operators.

*Promotion to other department or position within the TA division

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OA Operators are only allowed to pick within the depot of Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn (TA) depots. 

*Promotion to become Surface Dispatcher you will be supervising within Manhattan and The Bronx OA Division.

*Promotion to other department or position within the OA division.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MTA Bus Co operators will only allowed to work out of the depots within the MTA Bus division such as JFK , Basley Park, College Point, LaGuardia, Far Rockaway, East Chester, Yonkers Depot

**Spring Creek Depot hires only Part-timers operators and later on offer full time position as positions becomes vacant.

*Promotion to become Surface Dispatcher you will be supervising MTA Bus Co divisions

* Promotion to other department or position within the MTA BUs Co division

***MTA Bus operators are now starting have  the same rules, contract, privilege and pays as TA and OA operators. But overall IMHO its better to apply for TA or OA position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****** Promoted  as a Superintendent position within any of the 3 division title you will become UNIVERSAL and be classified as management level to Transit dept of buses. Just to better classified the rank compared to NYPD, Surface Dispatcher are like  Sergeants level, and Superintendents are like Lieutenants and the ranks goes up higher and higher.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Ranks Promotions order within dept of buses

- Surface Dispatchers/Gen Surface Dispatcher - ((Road Controls , Post,  Command Center, Depot Supervisors,  19A safety and Trainer))

- Superintendent- ((Different departments and area such as Safety and Training, Road Operations, Depot operations, Command Center))

- Assist Gen Superintendent - ((Same as above))

- Gen Superintendent - ((Same as Above))

- Deputy Supt "Don't exists anymore within dept of buses"

((Captain levels))

- Assist General Manager  - (( Same as above previous department))

- General Manager  - ((Same as above))

- Regional Division Manager - Various department controlling by boroughs

Anything higher is possible and for an example the President MTA Bus and NYCT Darryl C. Irick started as a Bus operator out of Kingsbridge depot (OA). 

**All training for bus operators are conducted by the same management team and locations.  Zerega is a training Facility, and Spring Creek Depot is a training facility for Yearly 19A Re-certification.

Edited by Flatbush SBS Duece
extra adds on

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I took Exam 7300 and received a list notice if 18XX.  I recently called to inquire where the list stands and was told they are  currently at list number 2000 and I should call HR.  I called HR and was told onetime this just happens and that all was well and I was still active.  Does anyone have any info about why this would happen? Or is it the operator didn’t have correct info. 

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Kenstyles said:

I applied for bus operator exam 9309 and paid the exam fee on May 3rd...and have not heard back any info on when the test is....

Has anyone got anything since then?

Since the BOSS exam is scheduled for the second weekend of October, as per the Notice of Examination, from prior experience, you should receive something in the mail approximately 2 to 3 weeks before the test date. Don't be concerned if you don't hear back from them prior to this.

Like someone said to me when I was either on the 4th or 5th floors of 180 Livingston Street in Downtown Brooklyn, they "don't work too hard." Obviously this is the case, especially since I'm still waiting to take a drug test after this incident took place, plus this newspaper article which is self-explanatory, especially with the last two words of the title.

Edited by +Young+
Typographical correction

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me the difference between  NYC Transit, MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company...because i'm still confused. I live in the North Bronx and there is a bus terminal in Co-Op city near I95 and the buses say MTA BUS.

I have never seen a bus with NYCT on it.

Whats the difference? Pension benefits? 

1 hour ago, Kenstyles said:

Can someone tell me the difference between  NYC Transit, MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company...because i'm still confused. I live in the North Bronx and there is a bus terminal in Co-Op city near I95 and the buses say MTA BUS.

I have never seen a bus with NYCT on it.

Whats the difference? Pension benefits? 

(MTA) Bus was formed from all of the former private bus companies. Everything else is under NYCT if not (MTA) Bus. I'm not getting into the whole union thing. Someone else can answer that. The only buses in Co-Op City that are under (MTA) Bus is the Bx23, Q50 and BxM7. The Bx26, Bx28, Bx30, Bx29 and Bx30 all are under NYCT, so you should definitely see some buses under NYCT up there.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, mtax said:

I took the TA exam 9618 which included the BOSS. I also applied to 9309. Can I be exempted from retaking even the BOSS even though I don’t have an official score yet?

As per the top of the fourth page of the Notice of Examination you should be able to...I would send them an e-mail and see what happens.