Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
SevenEleven

MTA Bus Exams 7300 & 9309

2 hours ago, snooby said:

So from what I'm understanding, this isn't going to be like a test and then you get a list number. You will just get a random list number around October, and they will call off of that to take the BOSS exam? (Is this easy, sounds like it's just simple questions?)

That's correct. That's why the fourth page of the Notice of Examination states that if you successfully took the BOSS for another examination, you don't have to take it again for this examination, since it's the same exam. As far as some sample questions, click here. Keep in mind, that, just like during the 10-day training session, tell them what they want to hear.

Also I didn't know there were difference between MTA Bus Company and other tests. 9309 seems to be MTA Bus Company. I live in Staten Island right now. Would I be able to get into a Staten Island depot possibly with this one? I could probably stick it out for a couple years if I can't get into Staten Island right away, but obviously being closer to home would be best

As @msmcmillan said in the prior post, you won't be able to. If you click here and here, you'll be able to view what's MTA Bus Company, which is what you applied for, and what is NYCTA.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sucks this one has no Staten Island places, but I'll see what random list number I get and go from there. I think I just missed the NYCTA test a couple months ago? Does anybody know when the next test for that will be coming up? Is that one that I would find on DCAS? I check that pretty often but haven't seen it coming up

Thanks for the replies guys. Sucks this one has no Staten Island places, but I'll see what random list number I get and go from there. I think I just missed the NYCTA test a couple months ago? Does anybody know when the next test for that will be coming up? Is that one that I would find on DCAS? I check that pretty often but haven't seen it coming up

Yeah, the NYCTA exam is going to be administered in a couple of weeks. As far as when the next one, it's probably not going to be for a while. You would find all of the information on this page. However, the trick is to get in. Once you're in, the transfer from MTA Bus to NYCTA is not that hard.

Good luck!!

12 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Yeah, the NYCTA exam is going to be administered in a couple of weeks. As far as when the next one, it's probably not going to be for a while. You would find all of the information on this page. However, the trick is to get in. Once you're in, the transfer from MTA Bus to NYCTA is not that hard.

Good luck!!

Yeah makes sense. So if I get a good list number for MTA Bus I'll probably take it and deal with having to go to brooklyn or wherever and stick it out, and try to get to NYCTA whenever I can.

Does it take long to get a CDL permit? Like should I be doing that stuff now? Or waiting until I see if I'll even get called for this

8 hours ago, snooby said:

Does it take long to get a CDL permit? Like should I be doing that stuff now? Or waiting until I see if I'll even get called for this

It doesn't take that long, you just have to go to DMV and take a some multiple choice exams for General Knowledge, Passenger and Air Brake. It would be recommended to take the School Bus exam as well. This way, later on in your life, if you want to drive a school bus, you don't have to take a second road test in the same vehicle just for another endorsement. If you need help studying, click here and look for the "practice tests" on the top left of the page.

As far as whether you want to do it now - that's up to you. Some people have managed to qualify on Day 7 with a Learner's Permit followed by passing the road test afterwards. Other folks, like me, already have the CDL and are not only currently employed as a Bus Driver/Operator in some capacity, but are also getting invaluable experience. Click here for a 'few' job opportunities.

Just note that once you get the permit, it's good for 6 months. For more information for New York State residents, click here.

Therefore, it's up to you...

Edited by +Young+