MTA Bus Exams 7300 & 9309

SevenEleven
Message added by +Young+

Here is the latest Notice of Examination for the part-time position for informational purposes.

Good luck and don't forget to check those mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds!

2 hours ago, JV620 said:

Well, I just received my letter today for the BOSS exam scheduled for Monday October 23, 2017 at 11:00A on Livingston St. in Brooklyn. 

Hopefully some of you will also get your letters shortly as well. Best of luck to all of you. Maybe I will see some of you there. :)

Good luck .

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very strange thing just happened. Received my random list number for 7300 back in August which is in the low 700's. Got a letter today that basically states that since I passed the BOSS for #7304 p/t I don't need to retake the BOSS survey for exam #7300 and that my name will be added to #7300 when the list is established. Anyone else get the same letter?

37 minutes ago, MTA MAC said:

Very strange thing just happened. Received my random list number for 7300 back in August which is in the low 700's. Got a letter today that basically states that since I passed the BOSS for #7304 p/t I don't need to retake the BOSS survey for exam #7300 and that my name will be added to #7300 when the list is established. Anyone else get the same letter?

Me too, I just got it in the mail today, but my list number for 7304 is 10** and for this one is 27**

Edited by Sb1914
Typo

2 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

Me three! My list number for this exam is 24**.

30 minutes ago, Raj said:

Could you shed some lights what the test is about ?

Long story short, it's a personality exam. They're going to ask you questions, as if you're in an interview, and you have to respond with the answers they want to hear. Don't worry if you are not telling the truth, that's the purpose of the exam to begin with.

Some sample questions are as follows (answers are in bold):

1) What do you do when you are not sure about the proper procedure to follow on a rush job?

a) Check a manual

b) Ask my co-worker

c) Ask my supervisor

d) Go ahead with what I think is right.

(Keep in mind that, just like in the past, you will be starting out as a "rookie" employee.)

2) How comfortable are you speaking one-on-one with a co-worker?

a) Very uncomfortable

b) Somewhat uncomfortable

c) Fairly comfortable

d) Comfortable

e) Very comfortable

(Looking for people who will get along with others.)

3) The charge of a ticket is too high.

a) Strongly agree

b) Agree

c) Neutral

d) Disagree

e) Strongly disagree

(You're telling them that you do not get any tickets whatsoever.)

4) Stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle on a two-lane highway, you are driven by frustration to try to overtake in risky circumstances.

a) Nearly all the time

b) Frequently

c) Occasionally

d) Hardly never

e) Never

(Safe driving habits, regardless of whether you're in a car, box truck, bus, etc.)

5) Try to overtake without first checking your mirror, and then get honked at by the car behind which has already begun it's overtaking maneuver.

a) All the time

b) Frequently

c) Occasionally

d) Hardly Never

e) Never

(Safe driving habits...)

6) When someone asks me for directions:

a) I can easily direct them to their destination

b) I often have difficulty explaining the directions

c) I find someone else to do it

d) I do not talk to strangers whatsoever

(Shows how well you can get along with the passengers in your bus...)

Edited by +Young+
More sample questions...

1 hour ago, Raj said:

anyone knows how long after the test ,  the list takes to   established ?

Unlike the civil service exams, such as for NYC Transit B/O 7612, the list is already established, with the list # that is probably your admission notice. Now, it's just a matter of taking this exam, passing it, and waiting till you get called!! Nice, right?

6 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

I also received that same letter. And If you ask me It's a blessing.  Which ever one calls me first i'm in there... SIGN ME UP SCOTTIE...  I know one thing MTA better allow me to have another job if I end up getting the PT position first until something FT available opens up lmao.

Edited by DrewMania

On 10/2/2017 at 6:57 PM, SHINABEE65 said:

Good luck .

Thanks, I will need it. I took one of these same types of test for Amtrak for a Passenger Engineer Trainee or Assistant Passenger Conductor position online and failed it. These tests IMO are actually HARDER, believe it or not, than the actual civil service exams themselves. To me, they are designed to trip you up. 

On 10/4/2017 at 5:34 PM, +Young+ said:

Me three! My list number for this exam is 24**.

Long story short, it's a personality exam. They're going to ask you questions, as if you're in an interview, and you have to respond with the answers they want to hear. Don't worry if you are not telling the truth, that's the purpose of the exam to begin with.

Some sample questions are as follows (answers are in bold):

1) What do you do when you are not sure about the proper procedure to follow on a rush job?

a) Check a manual

b) Ask my co-worker

c) Ask my supervisor

d) Go ahead with what I think is right.

(Keep in mind that, just like in the past, you will be starting out as a "rookie" employee.)

a) Very uncomfortable

c) Fairly comfortable

d) Comfortable

e) Very comfortable

(Looking for people who will get along with others.)

3) The charge of a ticket is too high.

a) Strongly agree

b) Agree

c) Neutral

d) Disagree

e) Strongly disagree

(You're telling them that you do not get any tickets whatsoever.)

4) Stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle on a two-lane highway, you are driven by frustration to try to overtake in risky circumstances.

a) Nearly all the time

b) Frequently

c) Occasionally

d) Hardly never

e) Never

(Safe driving habits, regardless of whether you're in a car, box truck, bus, etc.)

5) Try to overtake without first checking your mirror, and then get honked at by the car behind which has already begun it's overtaking maneuver.

a) All the time

b) Frequently

c) Occasionally

d) Hardly Never

e) Never

(Safe driving habits...)

6) When someone asks me for directions:

a) I can easily direct them to their destination

b) I often have difficulty explaining the directions

c) I find someone else to do it

d) I do not talk to strangers whatsoever

(Shows how well you can get along with the passengers in your bus...)

+Young+,

No kidding. I am going to put these ones on flashcards and memorize them :lol:... Here is what drives me personally crazy about the BOSS versus the civil's like T/O and B/O. Generally speaking, you can, sort of "study" some kind of material to prep for those kinds of tests, I.e., the NYPD study guide that you provided previously. But with these personality exams, there is really no studying. Example: I received some advice from a colleague  who stated to me "...you need to be true and honest. Think. If you were an employer, what would you want your workers to value?". So, you said up above in your post not to worry about being honest or telling the truth. But I totally understand what you mean by telling them what they want to hear. 

One other note: Take one of the questions up above. 

a) Very uncomfortable

c) Fairly comfortable

d) Comfortable

e) Very comfortable

They are looking to see how well we would get along with others. What I have trouble grasping is if we were to select E as an answer, it would be wrong? But why would that be wrong? I suppose they could look at it that if a worker was 'very comfortable' talking to a co-worker, he could be a gossip or a talker, but I don't know - you REALLY need to watch these questions and like any test, watch and think about what you are about to bubble in for an answer. I swear, these are the worst! Lol :o

10 hours ago, JV620 said:

They are looking to see how well we would get along with others. What I have trouble grasping is if we were to select E as an answer, it would be wrong? But why would that be wrong? I suppose they could look at it that if a worker was 'very comfortable' talking to a co-worker, he could be a gossip or a talker, but I don't know - you REALLY need to watch these questions and like any test, watch and think about what you are about to bubble in for an answer. I swear, these are the worst! Lol :o

I was told to stay away from the extremes which are "very comfortable" and "very uncomfortable" as a test-taking strategy, however it's up to you in the long run...

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Got my notice. 11/2 @ 11 AM. Downtown Brooklyn. Chance 1 of 4 with the BOSS exam. 

Chance 1 of 4? Are you taking the BOSS for MSBSTOA as well? I forgot to sign up for that one back in June and now I am kicking myself for forgetting in case I fail this MTA BOSS that I am taking on the 23rd..

11 hours ago, JV620 said:

Chance 1 of 4? Are you taking the BOSS for MSBSTOA as well? I forgot to sign up for that one back in June and now I am kicking myself for forgetting in case I fail this MTA BOSS that I am taking on the 23rd..

Yep. Taking the BOSS for MABSTOA. Haven't gotten my list # yet for MABSTOA. 

Sign up for Track Operator. I already have a Class B Commerical with Pass Endorsement and airbrakes. However, I want the driving jobs as a track op. 

In an earlier post of mine I stated that I received a letter stating that since I took and passed the boss survey for #7304 I would not have to retake the exam for #7300. Question? Is this normal that they would automatically and my name to the list for #7300, or could this possibly be some kind of error? I know someone else received the same letter. Does anyone know of this ever happening? I know the survey for 7300 is coming up soon just wanna be certain that I don't miss out. Thanks....

M,

Since you did the boss test before and pass, could you say what its about without revealing too much ? its it common sense questions , easy hard ?

I saw many people saying they were upgraded to 7300 so I'm thinking its not a mistake.  

thanks.

Raj.