Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
SevenEleven

MTA Bus Exams 7300 & 9309

+Young+

The application period for Exam 9309 has been extended until Friday, June 14th, 2019.

For more information, click here to view the Notice of Examination and click here to apply online.

Good luck and don't forget to check those mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds!!

Message added by +Young+

Recommended Posts

Just now, Raj said:

How you make that happen, that one is actually better than this one.

I simply missed the deadline to apply for #7105 MSBSTOA. It was June 27 I believe, but as long as I get a shot, I am good. 

Why is MSBSTOA better than MTA Bus??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it the city , mta bus is not and they all have different pension  agreements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read an article where they are opening 21 news bus lines, queens will be benefiting  the most . I guess they will be calling very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OA and MTA Bus while under the MTA umbrella, are not considered to be civil servant positions with the City of New York. (read: city job) I believe that they both have private pensions managed by the MTA, the one for OA being better. The contracts are a bit different between the two. For example, MTA Bus just got the ability to "bank" holidays, something that OA and TA always had. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can appreciate both perspectives on whether or not my score of an 86.66667 may or may not be enough to get me over the hump. I am still waiting to hear on the MTA BOSS exam #7300 that I just took as well. So, if I do not get called via the T/O #7604 list, maybe if I can get in thru being a B/O, that may work too.

What concerns me is the amount of people who have scored above me. It is not just the people that have aced it and scored 100% on the exam. It is the extra points as well that some will get for various reasons why. So, there will probably be scored of up to say 110% or 115%, with the add ons. The veteran preference and so forth. With that being said, that is about a 30 point spread + or - BEFORE they would even get to me.

It's too early to stress about it, but one does have to be curious about the actual realistic score that will get one called eventually. I am thinking that in my case, it might be 50/50 actually. Hey, I did the best that I possibly could on the exam, and if by some chance that was not good enough, we'll at least I gave it a shot. I can sleep well at night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JV,

 

I would  take that score because 70 is the passing grade, ( how long after you received that results ?).

I wont worry that much because 1/2 of those people will fail the back ground check and another half would fail the 6 week course, so don't worry about it.

I also heard it about 3/4 year wait time, so just continue what ever you're doing and just keep checking your mailbox.

 

 

thanks.

Raj.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the BOSS Test for the first time on Thursday.  The key for me was reading every question once and selecting the correct answer that the MTA wants.

What I will say is that the 75 questions are essential and to see how you will react to certain situations. Once I finished my test, I spoke to the test proctor and was told that the results for this test won't come out for some time. One would assume somewhere in 2018 or early 2019 when these results will come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years almost done. Next year I should be able to take my boss test. I recently got a job as bus driver and it is pretty stressful. I encourage everyone to get some experience in a big bus/vehicle prior to training. It is a good learning experience yo.

Edited by kazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2017 at 4:13 PM, kazz said:

Years almost done. Next year I should be able to take my boss test. I recently got a job as bus driver and it is pretty stressful. I encourage everyone to get some experience in a big bus/vehicle prior to training. It is a good learning experience yo.

I hear what you saying but i kind disagree i’ve spoken to a few instructors at transit and they all say they rather new drivers  opposed to a driver who’s been driving for a while they claim to many bad habits to break. The only thing i say is go get your CDL first that way you won’t have to stress yourself with basically another test after you make it thru training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 11:21 PM, DrewMania said:

I hear what you saying but i kind disagree i’ve spoken to a few instructors at transit and they all say they rather new drivers  opposed to a driver who’s been driving for a while they claim to many bad habits to break. The only thing i say is go get your CDL first that way you won’t have to stress yourself with basically another test after you make it thru training.

From going through the 10-day training session and failing it close to 4 years ago (give/take couple of months), and from driving school buses for about 2 years now (give/take a couple of months), this is what I have to say:

I definitely agree on getting the CDL. If and when you do, make sure you get the School Bus "S" endorsement as well so you don't have to take two road tests in a bus!!

As far as experience, I would recommend to get some in a big vehicle with air brakes (I would not recommend Access-A-Ride). You don't need a lot, just a little bit to get familiar with the vehicle. My former employer is actually looking for people for the Queens College Shuttle, in which they require no experience. More information on that can be found here.

When the time finally comes for you to go into the 10-day training, which is nicely summarized in this post, be open to what they want you to do and don't be hesitant - you already took the road test and passed it, now you just need to learn how to operate the vehicle the MTA way.

During my 10-day training session close to 4 years ago out of the Flatbush Depot, my instructor let us borrow some "booklets" or "handouts" which are below which contain not only valuable, but helpful information as well, including the pre-trip checkoff list for both the interior & exterior!!

That's my two cents. Good luck and remember, mirrors, mirrors, mirrors!! Even with the flat-nose school bus I currently drive, I can't say how many times those mirrors saved me from getting into an accident...

 

 

t6uzgg.jpg

155jxh1.jpg

1234fsw.jpg

10ye2b4.jpg

x28lg2.jpg

2dtzlgj.jpg

2vn4zk4.jpg

2m7dgxv.jpg

28lfcr7.jpg

23u8ks7.jpg

244wgtc.jpg

sl70ie.jpg

2dt3sw0.jpg

svt6cp.jpg

30bfuq8.jpg

o02c0z.jpg

 

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

From going through the 10-day training session and failing it close to 4 years ago (give/take couple of months), and from driving school buses for about 2 years now (give/take a couple of months), this is what I have to say:

I definitely agree on getting the CDL. If and when you do, make sure you get the School Bus "S" endorsement as well so you don't have to take two road tests in a bus!!

As far as experience, I would recommend to get some in a big vehicle with air brakes (I would not recommend Access-A-Ride). You don't need a lot, just a little bit to get familiar with the vehicle. My former employer is actually looking for people for the Queens College Shuttle, in which they require no experience. More information on that can be found here.

When the time finally comes for you to go into the 10-day training, which is nicely summarized in this post, be open to what they want you to do and don't be hesitant - you already took the road test and passed it, now you just need to learn how to operate the vehicle the MTA way.

During my 10-day training session close to 4 years ago out of the Flatbush Depot, my instructor let us borrow some "booklets" or "handouts" which are below which contain not only valuable, but helpful information as well.

That's my two cents. Good luck and remember, mirrors, mirrors, mirrors!! Even with the flat-nose school bus I currently drive, I can't say how many times those mirrors saved me from getting into an accident...

  Reveal hidden contents

 

t6uzgg.jpg

155jxh1.jpg

1234fsw.jpg

10ye2b4.jpg

x28lg2.jpg

2dtzlgj.jpg

2vn4zk4.jpg

2m7dgxv.jpg

28lfcr7.jpg

23u8ks7.jpg

244wgtc.jpg

sl70ie.jpg

2dt3sw0.jpg

svt6cp.jpg

30bfuq8.jpg

o02c0z.jpg

 

Hello brother. Question about the college shuttle bus driver. Not familiar with queens college tbh. Do shuttle bus drivers just circle around the school all day? How is the pay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kazz said:

Hello brother. Question about the college shuttle bus driver. Not familiar with queens college tbh. Do shuttle bus drivers just circle around the school all day? How is the pay?

Pay starts at around $14 to $15 an hour (not 100% sure). There are two shifts, AM, which is about 6 AM to 2/3 PM, and the PM from 2/3 PM to 11 PM (ish). We 'sort-of' circle around the school. If you check out this link, we actually go back and forth between Jamaica and Flushing.

So you'll start your route in Jamaica. From there you go to the college, followed by Flushing. After Flushing, you go back to the college, followed by Jamaica. (over & over again, until the run is complete)

In an effort to stay on-topic, if you have any more questions, please refer to this thread. I fixed my original post in the other thread to include the relevant information you folks need for the Queens College Shuttle Driver position.

Edited by +Young+
Editing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sb1914 said:

Any updates on this exam? Has anyone been called?

Nope, still have not heard if I passed that BOSS exam that I took on 10/23. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JV620 said:

Nope, still have not heard if I passed that BOSS exam that I took on 10/23. 

Oh wow. Yeah all I heard from them was the letter that I had pass the BOSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sb1914 said:

Oh wow. Yeah all I heard from them was the letter that I had pass the BOSS

Wow. Lucky you. I guess then we wait and see what happens next then. Hopefully, I passed but if I recall correctly the proctor that was in my classroom said that we would get called as openings arise, so... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I got the letter for the boss exam for 7300 to take at the end of this month, I took the boss exam for 7105 last year in December.   Does it matter if you take the boss twice ? What happens if you pass one and fail one ? or pass both/fail both ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moody said:

 I got the letter for the boss exam for 7300 to take at the end of this month, I took the boss exam for 7105 last year in December.   Does it matter if you take the boss twice ? What happens if you pass one and fail one ? or pass both/fail both ?  

That's the same question I have myself! I've applied to multiple Bus Operator exams, such as B/O Exam #7105, #7300, #7304, and #7612 — successfully passing the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) administered on July 11th, 2017 for B/O Exam #7304. I'm not certain if the results of an individual's BOSS are valid for 1 year after it was taken. I was sent a letter indicating that I was scheduled to take the BOSS for B/O Exam #7612, but I successfully passed the BOSS less than 1 year before the date I was told to report. If one were to pass the BOSS for an exam, but fail it for another, I'm not sure if you'd be disqualified for that job title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lornaevo said:

I got my letter today to take the exam in 03.14

 

Congrats, I guess will have to take another boss exam for this test too. Buts its alright. I am a low number list on the other exam that I took in december. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2018 at 11:43 PM, Moody said:

 

Congrats, I guess will have to take another boss exam for this test too. Buts its alright. I am a low number list on the other exam that I took in december. 

If you've already taken the BOSS, I would make sure to contact the Exams Unit before taking it again, because if you retake the BOSS and unfortunately fail it, you may ruin your chances of getting your foot in the door. Be careful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Raj said:

anyone knows how I could obtain my results for the recent bus operator # 7300 test?

Raj, you still have not heard either? Man, what is taking so long for us to find out. It was either pass/fail. I took mine on 10/23/17, and not a peep as to whether or not I passed. Odd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.