MTA Bus Exams 7300 & 9309

SevenEleven
Message added by +Young+

Here is the latest Notice of Examination for the part-time position for informational purposes.

Good luck and don't forget to check those mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds!

On 2/12/2018 at 6:30 PM, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

If you've already taken the BOSS, I would make sure to contact the Exams Unit before taking it again, because if you retake the BOSS and unfortunately fail it, you may ruin your chances of getting your foot in the door. Be careful.

Yes, I just emailed the exams unit. Once I get an answer on having to take more than 1 boss exam, ill let you guys know. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, so im going to start studying for the CDL and take the the written test.   All I know is that they require a cdl-b, is there anything else I need or would be a plus to have anyway. Theres alot of oppurtunity in cdls besides the MTA ? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2018 at 12:49 AM, JV620 said:

Anyone have any updates on if they passed their BOSS exam yet? No word here, mine was 10/23..

From my experience, including failing the BOSS the very first time I took it for MTA Bus B/O Exam 2301, if you fail it, you would have received a letter from the Examinations Department by now stating that you did not pass.

If you passed, then you will not hear back from the Examinations Department - rather, when the time comes, you will receive a letter in the mail from HR of when to report to 180 Livingston Street for employment processing.

Edited by +Young+
Typographical correction

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 1:19 PM, Moody said:

Alright, so im going to start studying for the CDL and take the the written test.   All I know is that they require a cdl-b, is there anything else I need or would be a plus to have anyway. Theres alot of oppurtunity in cdls besides the MTA ? Thanks in advance.

You don't need anything else. you don't even need the cdl. Just the permit with the endorsements is good enough. tho knowing how to drive is good.

I guess fed ex is one option for employment. School Bus driver another, tho driving a school bus is annoying.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, +Young+ said:

From my experience, including failing the BOOS the very first time I took it for MTA Bus B/O Exam 2301, if you fail it, you would have received a letter from the Examinations Department by now stating that you did not pass.

If you passed, then you will not hear back from the Examinations Department - rather, when the time comes, you will receive a letter in the mail from HR of when to report to 180 Livingston Street for employment processing.

In that case i hope i don't hear anything for a while.  I took my test a few weeks back. That BOSS test was so annoying. sometimes there are no "correct" answers to choose from. 

I wonder when people will start to be called. Its almost been a year since the test was announced. I quit my 1st and only bus driver job after a few months, so I hope i don't become rusty. lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an e-mail or number to call to inquire as to whether or not one passed? I would like to think, based on what was stated above, that I passed but until I actually see it, or read it, or hear it...😄. It's been a long time since 10/23/2017 🤨..

• 1 month later...

Took the BOSS back in 10/2017 and still nothing. Thought I'd check here since the post office never delivers/loses some of my snail mail. Don't understand why they don't update via email, text message or some other 21st century method, which in the end would be a lot more efficient and cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

I failed one and passed the other. I got my letter for #7300, I did that on April 18 2018 I passed :) The one in October 2017 #7304 I failed that boss. They sent the letter real quick too. List number is 3***.

Well, I finally also got my letter in the mail and I passed the BOSS-exam from 10/23/2017 😊😊😊.. my list number is very low actually being 88..

It says that as positions become available, then based upon your random list number, you will then be called in for pre-employment processing further. 

If anyone can speak to with my list number being as low as it is, how long it might be, feel free to enlighten me. I am just so relieved to finally find out that
I did indeed pass the BOSS. 

6 hours ago, JV620 said:

Well, I finally also got my letter in the mail and I passed the BOSS-exam from 10/23/2017 😊😊😊.. my list number is very low actually being 88..

It says that as positions become available, then based upon your random list number, you will then be called in for pre-employment processing further. 

If anyone can speak to with my list number being as low as it is, how long it might be, feel free to enlighten me. I am just so relieved to finally find out that
I did indeed pass the BOSS. 

Are you saying a list number of 8000 is low?

I just received my letter for exam 7300 stating that I passed the boss test. I took the test in April 2018. Does anyone know if they started the hiring process for anyone on the list yet???

I just got the pre-employment letter to come in for this on Friday June 15 7:30am. My list number is 4xx.

Also on another note, i got a second congratulations letter for passing the boss for 7300 in a second envelope. I already had known I passed months ago but they sent me another one.

So I'm guessing that if you got your congratulations letter for this recent and you had a low list #, you should be getting a letter calling you to come in soon. Don't know why but I happened to get both letters same day. Keep checking your mailboxes.

Anyone else going on June 15 7:00am?

So excited 😁

Edited by Mr NewFlyer

3 hours ago, Starr said:

I just received my letter for exam 7300 stating that I passed the boss test. I took the test in April 2018. Does anyone know if they started the hiring process for anyone on the list yet???

I have received my letter in the mail today to come in for pre-employment processing for Bus Operator from list #7300 on June 14 at 7:30A. So, yes to answer your question, they have started the hiring process for people who have passed the BOSS-exam from this list. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, Mr NewFlyer said:

I just got the pre-employment letter to come in for this on Friday June 15 7:30am. My list number is 4xx.

Also on another note, i got a second congratulations letter for passing the boss for 7300 in a second envelope. I already had known I passed months ago but they sent me another one.

So I'm guessing that if you got your congratulations letter for this recent and you had a low list #, you should be getting a letter calling you to come in soon. Don't know why but I happened to get both letters same day. Keep checking your mailboxes.

Anyone else going on June 15 7:00am?

So excited 😁

Congrats Mr. New Flyer Sir. I am the day before you on the 14th at 7:30A.

Best of luck in the employment process! 

12 hours ago, Starr said:

Awesome guys! please let us know how many people show up for the process.  I have a list number of 3xxx.  I'd like to know if its possible to get called before the summer finishes

Starr, I also received a letter that I passed...list #25**. MTA has a habit/pattern of calling the first 1000 quickly from every exam. I don't think they will reach 3000 by the end of the summer. However, they are starting early for this exam... so you never know. 

For the p/t bus operator exam# 7304, they started calling around the same time last year and I don't think they hit 3000 yet. But correct me if I'm wrong...

On 6/9/2018 at 7:13 PM, JV620 said:

Congrats Mr. New Flyer Sir. I am the day before you on the 14th at 7:30A.

Best of luck in the employment process! 

Thanks man, And congrats to you too.
Let us know how it all goes down on Thursday, Wish you the best.

Hey guys was wondering, Does anyone know if there's paid parking in that area close to the mta building?

Also for anyone that went through the process, Will they tell us in advance the days they will need us to come in for the 10 day training?
Like how quick does it take for them to get back to us with the results from the medical/drug test?

I'm trying to find that out so I can figure out when to take my vacation from my current job

1 hour ago, Mr NewFlyer said:

Thanks man, And congrats to you too.
Let us know how it all goes down on Thursday, Wish you the best.

Hey guys was wondering, Does anyone know if there's paid parking in that area close to the mta building?

Also for anyone that went through the process, Will they tell us in advance the days they will need us to come in for the 10 day training?
Like how quick does it take for them to get back to us with the results from the medical/drug test?

I'm trying to find that out so I can figure out when to take my vacation from my current job

Yes, there is parking. It is located on Livingston St...on the same side as the transit building...on the corner. It is a weird looking outdoor parking lot with car lifts. I don't know the rates...I usually take public transportation to get there because it's a hot mess on Livingston St. There are other parking garages, but it is so congested in that area I couldn't tell you.

The whole employment process depends on you. For example a friend of mine who is at Springcreek line training was hire by MTA Bus in one week. The day of his pre-employment he already had his CDL and all necessary documents, so he took his drug test the same day. They emailed him three days later for medical and he went the next day. He took the medical and passed the same day and he was fingerprinted and went to training two weeks later. The process is smooth if you have it together...Good Luck!

MsMcmillan thanks for the info!  Just found out that a coworker of mine has a list # of 4 and is going in on Thursday the 14th to start the process.  I think your right that they called in the first 1000.  However, many have been eliminated by the BOSS exam already so I think its safe to say our current numbers are not technically the same.  They must have just started the hiring process for everyone for 7300 this month.  Sending both letters out at once could mean they are behind schedule or need to hire quickly. Its all good just happy I passed and will be called eventually!!  Does anyone know anything about the benefits other than the salary?  I heard this exam is covering for Bronx, Eastchester, and Yonkers anyone heard something different?

On 6/12/2018 at 9:44 AM, Starr said:

MsMcmillan thanks for the info!  Just found out that a coworker of mine has a list # of 4 and is going in on Thursday the 14th to start the process.  I think your right that they called in the first 1000.  However, many have been eliminated by the BOSS exam already so I think its safe to say our current numbers are not technically the same.  They must have just started the hiring process for everyone for 7300 this month.  Sending both letters out at once could mean they are behind schedule or need to hire quickly. Its all good just happy I passed and will be called eventually!!  Does anyone know anything about the benefits other than the salary?  I heard this exam is covering for Bronx, Eastchester, and Yonkers anyone heard something different?

Starr,

Good luck to you and your co-worker at #4 who is going in tomorrow. I am number #88 so I can only imagine that down at 180 Livingston Street, it will be packed. I read somewhere else that this could actually take all day long. On top of that, I actually live in SE Massachusetts so I am still undecided about leaving my house at 2:00A in order to try and get there by 7:30A,but then again, where I have already had my CDL for quite some time now and have experience with coach bus driving and line runs, etc, etc, I have always wanted to move to NYC, and work for the MTA. I believe that you are correct though that they probably have just started to hire off of #7300 this month. Beyond the pay itself, which, after the 4 years of service when they bump you up to the $29.9550, that actually pays more than some federal service jobs top out at (i.e., Post Office), I am unfamiliar with any of the other benefits offered by the MTA Bus Company. If that is true about this #7300 exam mainly hiring for the depots in Yonkers, Eastchester and the Bronx, well that suits me just dandy! Actually though, to be quite honest, I would have a preference for the Yonkers depot myself. But beggars cannot be choosers, but it would be nice. I believe that is where a lot of the x-press routes are out of IIRC.