Manhattanville Rts Photos and videos

MHV184

So I'm going back like 20 years to my first trip here after I moved away in '84, but was there a time when NYCTA RTS' had the side destination marquee at the bottom of the window? Also, I remember seeing some RTS' with something like "Leased by Port Authority to NYCTA" next to the (MTA) or NYCTA logo. Anyone else remember this and why PA buses were used?

So I'm going back like 20 years to my first trip here after I moved away in '84, but was there a time when NYCTA RTS' had the side destination marquee at the bottom of the window? Also, I remember seeing some RTS' with something like "Leased by Port Authority to NYCTA" next to the (MTA) or NYCTA logo. Anyone else remember this and why PA buses were used?

Lots of RTSes came in with those side destinations on the lower end--think only a few of the 1996s have kept them since (8809, 8913 come to mind) and none of the later buses save for the 4900s. I definitely remember sitting up front and hearing the flipdots switch over right by the rap seat when the sign changed. And yessir, definitely a number of the first order were the PAxxx numbered buses--had something to do with the PA paying for part of the order. Not sure why exactly that happened, but all the buses with PA money were labeled for years.

Can't argue with that because it's true but it's rare to see RTS's at Manhattanville the last Rts I remember was 9442 and 9495.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Those were the most recent buses with 5064, rare few to actually get stickers. 8907 was another long term summer loan a year or two ago but never got stickers, and 126th used to do put-ins in the afternoon with 1997 buses for a year or two. Those buses were usually on the M1, and if you got lucky one of the 1996s (8989-8990, 9122, 9216, 9221) would pull out. That was around 2011-2013 I'd say. You also had Quill doing put-ins on the M5 below 42nd in the summer a couple years back with the occasional RTS. 9477 and a few others were assigned at some point, and there were some interesting brief loans over the past couple years. Before that there was the 8881, 8896, and 5017 group of loans in late 2010, which is around when (and why) I joined these forums. Nobody knew why those buses had turned up, and they all ran for a week or so--5017 stayed the longest. [4407 and a couple NGs had also come.] The real final fleet of assigned RTSes in the summer of 2010 was 9211, 9213, 9216, 9218, 9220-9221, 9223. 9223 was a whiteback, only one in the group. 9216 and 9221 went to 126th after that, and the rest of the buses got scrapped. 9208 had been there shortly before but it went to Quill. 9218 was the last MHV RTS I rode in service in June 2010, which is where my handle comes from. 2010 is the year the RTS fleet really went away. The TMCs had been retiring from 2009 and on, and the MHV fleet of the 903x and 904x buses slowly went away as the year went on, with only the 92xx buses staying. I remember 9041 still racing in the winter of 2009-2010, but that was gone not long after. It's been a real shame watching the fleet come to a close, but the M55 is a nice return to RTS buses on 5th Avenue and below on the old M5/M1 routes. 

Those were the most recent buses with 5064, rare few to actually get stickers. 8907 was another long term summer loan a year or two ago but never got stickers, and 126th used to do put-ins in the afternoon with 1997 buses for a year or two. Those buses were usually on the M1, and if you got lucky one of the 1996s (8989-8990, 9122, 9216, 9221) would pull out. That was around 2011-2013 I'd say. You also had Quill doing put-ins on the M5 below 42nd in the summer a couple years back with the occasional RTS. 9477 and a few others were assigned at some point, and there were some interesting brief loans over the past couple years. Before that there was the 8881, 8896, and 5017 group of loans in late 2010, which is around when (and why) I joined these forums. Nobody knew why those buses had turned up, and they all ran for a week or so--5017 stayed the longest. [4407 and a couple NGs had also come.] The real final fleet of assigned RTSes in the summer of 2010 was 9211, 9213, 9216, 9218, 9220-9221, 9223. 9223 was a whiteback, only one in the group. 9216 and 9221 went to 126th after that, and the rest of the buses got scrapped. 9208 had been there shortly before but it went to Quill. 9218 was the last MHV RTS I rode in service in June 2010, which is where my handle comes from. 2010 is the year the RTS fleet really went away. The TMCs had been retiring from 2009 and on, and the MHV fleet of the 903x and 904x buses slowly went away as the year went on, with only the 92xx buses staying. I remember 9041 still racing in the winter of 2009-2010, but that was gone not long after. It's been a real shame watching the fleet come to a close, but the M55 is a nice return to RTS buses on 5th Avenue and below on the old M5/M1 routes.

Well all we could hope for is maybe Manhattanville getting RTS's back like the ones WF is currently giving out which is 4973-4974, and 4976.

Well all we could hope for is maybe Manhattanville getting RTS's back like the ones WF is currently giving out which is 4973-4974, and 4976.

Don't bet on it. Those buses may come home to East New York or possibly Grand Avenue. (GA) could use a few more RTS. Just too bad that the 5031-5034 group didn't make it back to Brooklyn.

Only this time we do know

Oh well.. then lol

Don't bet on it. Those buses may come home to East New York or possibly Grand Avenue. (GA) could use a few more RTS. Just too bad that the 5031-5034 group didn't make it back to Brooklyn.

I agree with you on that and well in my opinion some of MJQ's RTS's should go back to Brooklyn as you said to GA or even Fresh Pond just to add it in there.

Why do so many of you particularly obsess over RTS's at Manhattanville? All these years on the forums and I still don't get it...

I also do not get the obsession with high-floor buses. The last thing I wanted to do as a outer-borough commuter, after all the walking transfers I did, was to walk up more steps to get on a damn bus. Even worse if there was an old person, a person with a stroller, etc. struggling to get on, or if the steps were particularly treacherous after a rainy or slushy day.

Why do so many of you particularly obsess over RTS's at Manhattanville? All these years on the forums and I still don't get it...

I mean yeah, there's Quill, THE RTS depot next to ENY. Not like Manhattan RTS are rare anyways.

At least when WF and ECH got RTS back it made sense because the Bronx did not have RTS for a few years. Also, I don't see anyone doing major hunts at QV and FP when they got back RTS. What makes MHV so different from the others?

I also do not get the obsession with high-floor buses. The last thing I wanted to do as a outer-borough commuter, after all the walking transfers I did, was to walk up more steps to get on a damn bus. Even worse if there was an old person, a person with a stroller, etc. struggling to get on, or if the steps were particularly treacherous after a rainy or slushy day.

The reason High Floor buses like the RTS, Orion V, D60HF etc are "Obsessed over" is because most fans grew up riding them.. If you're busfan you're gonna hold the bus you grew up riding in high regard, there are probably kids who hold the Hybrids in high regard and will probably hate the bus fleet that ends up replacing them. 

Maybe they are young and don't remember when MTV actually had RTS's, and would like to see them there again, seems MTV has been 100% hybrid for years now.

The reason High Floor buses like the RTS, Orion V, D60HF etc are "Obsessed over" is because most fans grew up riding them.. If you're busfan you're gonna hold the bus you grew up riding in high regard, there are probably kids who hold the Hybrids in high regard and will probably hate the bus fleet that ends up replacing them.

Maybe they are young and don't remember when MTV actually had RTS's, and would like to see them there again, seems MTV has been 100% hybrid for years now.

You are exactly right I myself am one of those I remember when I was 6 riding an RTS on the M3 and it was such great memories and well ever since I became a bus fan I have always wanted to see and ride again an Rts coming from Manhattanville.

Lots of RTSes came in with those side destinations on the lower end--think only a few of the 1996s have kept them since (8809, 8913 come to mind) and none of the later buses save for the 4900s. I definitely remember sitting up front and hearing the flipdots switch over right by the rap seat when the sign changed. And yessir, definitely a number of the first order were the PAxxx numbered buses--had something to do with the PA paying for part of the order. Not sure why exactly that happened, but all the buses with PA money were labeled for years.

All GMC RTS buses in the 1000s, 2000s, low 3000s an the first 30 4300s were under the Port Authority Contract. So was 1/2 of the Grumman Flxible fleet. The TA at that time was looking to replace the 1950-1960s Fishbowls which was down to their last luck, so they had a meeting at the WTC complex and PA agreed. 1200-1658 and 2201-2579 was ordered. The rest followed, except 3400-3799 & 3800-4218 was bought solely under the TA.

You are exactly right I myself am one of those I remember when I was 6 riding an RTS on the M3 and it was such great memories and well ever since I became a bus fan I have always wanted to see and ride again an Rts coming from Manhattanville.

I guess that makes sense. The only RTS I ever rode from MHV was on the M2 in summer 2015, on 9411.

Archived