Manhattanville Rts Photos and videos

MHV184

What were the numbers tho? Do you have like a list?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Somewhat:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/49458-mta-bus-operations-depot-roster-archives/

This is a list of all fleet rosters. I would check for MHV between 1999 and 2010 (2004 is when the 4900's-5200's are last seen).

Why do so many of you particularly obsess over RTS's at Manhattanville? All these years on the forums and I still don't get it...

I mean yeah, there's Quill, THE RTS depot next to ENY. Not like Manhattan RTS are rare anyways.

At least when WF and ECH got RTS back it made sense because the Bronx did not have RTS for a few years. Also, I don't see anyone doing major hunts at QV and FP when they got back RTS. What makes MHV so different from the others?

MHV runs some of the most iconic lines in the city and the depot was an RTS only stronghold for decades. Amsterdam/MCH would take on O5s over the years, but MHV was only RTSes. Lots of those routes that go through city traffic are incredible with a skilled op, and RTSes would lean in and out going down 5th for years. Much nimbler than the OGs and NGs that replaced. And for a lot of us, it's nostalgia. I remember as a kid watching the GMCs kick up these huge plumes of black smoke pulling off, and I can still recognize a 6v92 from anywhere because of that. I'm not old enough to really remember Fishbowls, so those RTSes are all I've known, and MHV ran the routes I commuted on. 

Besides, it's been just less long since MHV lost RTSes as WF--there were lots of 1996s up in the Bronx for some time, but the MHV fleet was gone by spring-summer 2010. That's 7 years now, which is some time.

MHV runs some of the most iconic lines in the city and the depot was an RTS only stronghold for decades. Amsterdam/MCH would take on O5s over the years, but MHV was only RTSes. Lots of those routes that go through city traffic are incredible with a skilled op, and RTSes would lean in and out going down 5th for years. Much nimbler than the OGs and NGs that replaced. And for a lot of us, it's nostalgia. I remember as a kid watching the GMCs kick up these huge plumes of black smoke pulling off, and I can still recognize a 6v92 from anywhere because of that. I'm not old enough to really remember Fishbowls, so those RTSes are all I've known, and MHV ran the routes I commuted on.

Besides, it's been just less long since MHV lost RTSes as WF--there were lots of 1996s up in the Bronx for some time, but the MHV fleet was gone by spring-summer 2010. That's 7 years now, which is some time.

I mean Manhattanville can get RTS's back if the MTA allows that to happen because we have Quill with lots of RTS's they can always take half of those and Manhattanville can give them OG.

All GMC RTS buses in the 1000s, 2000s, low 3000s an the first 30 4300s were under the Port Authority Contract. So was 1/2 of the Grumman Flxible fleet. The TA at that time was looking to replace the 1950-1960s Fishbowls which was down to their last luck, so they had a meeting at the WTC complex and PA agreed. 1200-1658 and 2201-2579 was ordered. The rest followed, except 3400-3799 & 3800-4218 was bought solely under the TA.

Were these PA-purchased RTS' the same ones sent to Atlanta to help MARTA during the Olympics?

Were these PA-purchased RTS' the same ones sent to Atlanta to help MARTA during the Olympics?

Those were the 8900s and 9000s from 1996 that went directly to Atlanta first. Port Authority didn't pitch in with that order

Why do so many of you particularly obsess over RTS's at Manhattanville? All these years on the forums and I still don't get it...

I also do not get the obsession with high-floor buses. The last thing I wanted to do as a outer-borough commuter, after all the walking transfers I did, was to walk up more steps to get on a damn bus. Even worse if there was an old person, a person with a stroller, etc. struggling to get on, or if the steps were particularly treacherous after a rainy or slushy day.

I didn't realize there was an obsession/fascination from others on here of a particular bus type over another....

Then again, I gloss over any discussions/side-discussions involving bus moves & what not..... It's not a part of the hobby I ever cared for.... I mean, I find it quite odd (not in a negative way per se, just... odd... Lol...) that some ppl. on here can remember certain characteristics of a specific bus...

I happen to like the RTS', but I don't obsess over them in the slightest.... I do happen to have a soft spot for the fishbowls (same as the redbirds... but that display of one along QB in Kew Gardens I think is rather tacky), as they were a part of my youth.... But again, obsession? I just, can't..... And this is coming from someone that's always favored buses over trains; it's just not that deep AFAIC.....

I didn't realize there was an obsession/fascination from others on here of a particular bus type over another....

Then again, I gloss over any discussions/side-discussions involving bus moves & what not..... It's not a part of the hobby I ever cared for.... I mean, I find it quite odd (not in a negative way per se, just... odd... Lol...) that some ppl. on here can remember certain characteristics of a specific bus...

I always thought it funny, not in a derogatory or insulting way, that posters here would get animated over what depot has which buses and RTS' still running and why Orion V and VII are lemons or not.

But then I saw my cousin and a random dude go on for half an hour about how beautiful they thought Transit Museum's GM's fishbowl bus was and how they'd sit in certain places on the bus depending on the weather and I understood that attachment - memories of buses and good times and seeing "beauty" in something most people loathe.

Took me back to childhood when my father would buy bus passes at an RTD center in LA and I'd grab every bus schedule in stock that day because I love looking at maps and wanted to make sure I knew how to get back to Inglewood from Disneyland (Line 460 to Firestone then Line 115 to Crenshaw and walk home)...

But then the only bus I was ever excited to see back then were the RTD AM Generals - they were rare back in the 80s since RTS' and Flxible and Neoplans were replacing them and New Looks...

http://www.rapidtransit-press.com/rtd8121.jpg

Archived