MTA Cites On-Time Bus Service... From Just 42 High-Volume Routes Across Five Boroughs

Via Garibaldi 8

We need competition. Uber has deep pockets and offers other incentives that drivers don't receive at other places, so it isn't all about the money. The reality is they've forced the competition to step up their game, buses included.

I.....would have to disagree with you on that partially.

They used to offer extra benefits for drivers, such as discounts on phone plans, discounts on maintenance at various locations, even an Uber charge card that discounts the gas prices for drivers. But it appears that some, if not all of that has been taken away. They used to offer a wide variety of benefits and discounts to drivers, but that's been slowly going away. Some drivers are not happy with that, others don't really care.

As for the part mentioning that it isn't all about money....that's not all too true either. On the partner app, they advertise the most busiest places, along with venues that Uber demand will skyrocket(such as sporting events, baseball games, ect), and drivers will become pretty competitive when it comes to getting requests at a timely manner. Surge pricing also comes into play, as it becomes more competitive. But the problem with that is with more drivers, comes less work for everyone.

It's becoming to get to a point where drivers are beginning to partner with other third-party providers to get certain amenities, including dash cameras and such, especially after the recent fiasco of some chick trying to get an Uber driver in trouble by way of falsifying abuse and rape allegations. Uber's overall support for couriers, drivers and such has been on a decline, and other partners like Lyft, Postmates and the like have seen an increase of new drivers and couriers.

I.....would have to disagree with you on that partially.

They used to offer extra benefits for drivers, such as discounts on phone plans, discounts on maintenance at various locations, even an Uber charge card that discounts the gas prices for drivers. But it appears that some, if not all of that has been taken away. They used to offer a wide variety of benefits and discounts to drivers, but that's been slowly going away. Some drivers are not happy with that, others don't really care.

As for the part mentioning that it isn't all about money....that's not all too true either. On the partner app, they advertise the most busiest places, along with venues that Uber demand will skyrocket(such as sporting events, baseball games, ect), and drivers will become pretty competitive when it comes to getting requests at a timely manner. Surge pricing also comes into play, as it becomes more competitive. But the problem with that is with more drivers, comes less work for everyone.

It's becoming to get to a point where drivers are beginning to partner with other third-party providers to get certain amenities, including dash cameras and such, especially after the recent fiasco of some chick trying to get an Uber driver in trouble by way of falsifying abuse and rape allegations. Uber's overall support for couriers, drivers and such has been on a decline, and other partners like Lyft, Postmates and the like have seen an increase of new drivers and couriers.

My point was that they were offering more incentives than the Yellow taxis, which is why drivers moved over in the first place. Those incentives while not appreciated by all were/are certainly used by some. In the end it's a cycle. If they become less lucrative for drivers to stay, they'll go elsewhere.

It's no secret that Uber bleeds money like there's no tomorrow. I'm sure that if the MTA were allowed to bleed a billion dollars a quarter, that service would be fantastic and the fares cheap.

Well they're still pretty popular and continue to grow. The (MTA) isn't exactly a for profit agency so there's really no comparison, but Uber is definitely taking a bite out of fare revenue for them, and that's not good, especially from a congestion standpoint.

My point was that they were offering more incentives than the Yellow taxis, which is why drivers moved over in the first place. Those incentives while not appreciated by all were/are certainly used by some. In the end it's a cycle. If they become less lucrative for drivers to stay, they'll go elsewhere.

Well they're still pretty popular and continue to grow. The (MTA) isn't exactly a for profit agency so there's really no comparison, but Uber is definitely taking a bite out of fare revenue for them, and that's not good, especially from a congestion standpoint.

The main reason drivers switched over is for the ability to work whenever they want, with rates that were said to be guaranteed, but wasn't.

They didn't start offering incentives till waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay later, as soon as 2014-2015.

The main reason drivers switched over is for the ability to work whenever they want, with rates that were said to be guaranteed, but wasn't.

They didn't start offering incentives till waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay later, as soon as 2014-2015.

Interesting... I'd say there were other factors besides those, but in any event, those guys are independent contractors and thus rates can be a tricky thing.  There is a good and a bad side to that.  I too have my own side business.  The beauty is you don't have to take on assignments or accept pay that doesn't go with your bottom line, so these guys can move on as they have been.  Uber will likely go public soon, so I'm not too surprised by their moves.  Their onus will be to their share holders, who are only interested in profits and the longevity of the company. Despite the turmoil, I think they're still one of the top leaders at the moment and the biggest threat to the (MTA).  I see them more than any of the other services in Manhattan and in my area. I've noticed fewer yellow taxis, where as just a few years ago seeing them in the area was a regular occurrence. 

Archived