MTA Workers Under Attack By Farebeaters

Via Garibaldi 8

I'm posting this as an example, but I've been reading about a lot of these incidents of late and it's alarming.

See below...

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/teen-girl-attacks-subway-worker-refused-skip-fare-article-1.3051286

Subway worker attacked, sprayed with pepper spray after refusing to let woman skip fare

train.jpg
A subway worker on the Lower East Side was punched in the face and doused with pepper spray by a woman who was trying to skip paying a fare.  (HERMANN, MARC A.)
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, April 13, 2017, 9:01 AM

A subway worker on the Lower East Side was punched in the face and doused with pepper spray after refusing to let a young woman enter the station without paying her fare, police sources said Thursday.

The MTA employee, a 46-year-old woman, was cleaning a MetroCard reader at the East Broadway station when a woman in her 20s asked if she could go through the gate to enter the F train platform about 3:40 p.m. Wednesday, sources said.

When the 14-year MTA veteran said she didn’t see the commuter use her MetroCard, the suspect went berserk, officials said.

“I don’t have time for this...I have somewhere to go,” the woman fumed. “B---h, do your job!”

She then attacked the worker, punching her in the face before spraying her with pepper spray and running off.

No arrests have been made.

First responders took the subway cleaner to Lower Manhattan Hospital, where she was treated for bruises and burning eyes, officials said. 

Wait, so what happened. Did the MTA employee let her through the gate? This article was poorly written.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The article is obviously written from the account of the (MTA) worker, and clearly she didn't let her through the gate, otherwise she wouldn't have been attacked.  It says as follows: 

The MTA employee, a 46-year-old woman, was cleaning a MetroCard reader at the East Broadway station when a woman in her 20s asked if she could go through the gate to enter the F train platform about 3:40 p.m. Wednesday, sources said.

When the 14-year MTA veteran said she didn’t see the commuter use her MetroCard, the suspect went berserk, officials said.

The person wanted to go through the gate but didn't pay in advance.  You can swipe your card at a turnstile and then ask to be buzzed through the gate (I've done so when carrying large items), but since this person didn't do that, the (MTA) worker refused her request.

Wait, how would that subway cleaner let this... person, through the closed gate anyway....

Getting 'sprayed & punched for this silliness wasn't warranted either way, but something tells me this isn't the full story though - judging by the quote from miss in-a-rush-to-get-nowhere-fast....

Smh... Why are New Yorkers looking for a fight everywhere they go nowadays....

Dosent every single employee of the (MTA) have full unlimited metrocards that they sometimes use to let someone through a gate?

Not all gates have MetroCard slots. Only accessible stations have those and IINM East Broadway (F) isn't wheelchair accessible.

Dosent every single employee of the (MTA) have full unlimited metrocards that they sometimes use to let someone through a gate?

That's not the purpose of those MetroCards (and I'm sure they wouldn't want to explain to their supervisor why their MetroCard was used while on-the-clock), and I think if anything, they would just try to get the attention of the station agent to press whatever button opens the gate or lets them through the turnstile. 

I never understood how so many folks travel somewhere in this city without return fare on the MetroCard.

Is Farebeater a pun in this case?

But seriously, why do people feel entitled to free rides?

It's very simple. If you create a culture of entitlement, that's what you get, and once it starts forget it. Just like we have people advocating for reduced fare Metrocards for the poor... I'd be willing to bet that they won't want to pay the other half. Hell you should see how many elderly people get on and drop "whatever" into the fare box. I'm sure they think, hey I'm an elderly person. Why should I even have to pay half fare? Aside from that, I've never seen an elderly person confronted about not paying the correct amount. The sense of entitlement starts with students who think they should NEVER pay, even when they're not in school. Students are supposed to get free fares 24/7. *Sarcasm* lol That carries on...

Because people are just that stupid thinking they hard and tough and then trying to get away with it. You even got some grown ass men and woman in their 20s or above acting like kids and teenagers, it's so sad really.

People will get mad over anything that's not even worth getting their panties in a bunch over.

That's not the purpose of those MetroCards (and I'm sure they wouldn't want to explain to their supervisor why their MetroCard was used while on-the-clock), and I think if anything, they would just try to get the attention of the station agent to press whatever button opens the gate or lets them through the turnstile. 

Seriously??? MTA passes are for employees only. Why the hell should anyone risk their job aiding someone in committing theft of service by using their personal MetroCard in violation of company rules, in stations that frequently have cameras on them, just because some bum who probably has a smart phone and a tablet can't rub enough EBT cards together to find 2.75???

If the employee had let that farebeater in they would have allowed a remorseless violent individual into the system thus endangering other passengers.

Not all gates have MetroCard slots. Only accessible stations have those and IINM East Broadway (F) isn't wheelchair accessible.

Because people are just that stupid thinking they hard and tough and then trying to get away with it. You even got some grown ass men and woman in their 20s or above acting like kids and teenagers, it's so sad really.

People will get mad over anything that's not even worth getting their panties in a bunch over.

This is not really new, this is more people paying attention. We are very far from the 'bad old days'.

things get more obvious when they're posted on social media and whatnot

Thats terms for termination! We are not allowed to let anybody else use our card other than ourselves! In transit eyes its stealing from them!

Archived