Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are they renovating Pelham Parkway? Unless they're going to make it into a terminal so Dyre isn't completely shut down during weekends, I don't see a need.

Why not?  Those stations while not decrepit aren't exactly appealing. They should add some lighting in the area while they're at it.  I hate taking the subway up there. The last time I did was only because our express bus broke down and I didn't feel like waiting an hour for the next one.

Why are they renovating Pelham Parkway? Unless they're going to make it into a terminal so Dyre isn't completely shut down during weekends, I don't see a need.

Pelham Parkway on the Dyre line is pretty crummy and dingy looking. Setting up the center two tracks as a pair of terminal tracks would probably be nice too, as a just-in-case thing like you mentioned, but it really doesn't look great down there. Not as bad as, say, BMT Chambers Street, but it's not exactly appealing either.

What would happen to the Squire Vickers/Heins & LaFarge station tiles and mosaics of the BMT and IRT if ESI ever reaches them? Would they be restored & preserved, recreated with a different​ material, or replaced entirely?

According to initial press releases, historic tiles will remain. I presume they will get a good cleaning.

I'm unsure if the stations with "newer" designs will receive ones more in line with the rest of the route (for example, 57th Street on the (F) getting IND style tiles similar to PABT and Columbus Circle). We'll see with the 4th Avenue stations...

According to initial press releases, historic tiles will remain. I presume they will get a good cleaning.

I'm unsure if the stations with "newer" designs will receive ones more in line with the rest of the route (for example, 57th Street on the (F) getting IND style tiles similar to PABT and Columbus Circle). We'll see with the 4th Avenue stations...

I'd prefer for 57th Street / 6th Avenue to get SAS tiles, actually. That would give it a whole new look.

Edited by P3F

But does it have to remain vintage-esque - having custom tiles created to match the weight of the originals instead of the less expensive stuff available now? That's just extra expense at a time of rising fares and falling service levels.

And it's not like LACMTA's, MARTA's or WMATA's grooved concrete walls are visually unappealing.

But does it have to remain vintage-esque - having custom tiles created to match the weight of the originals instead of the less expensive stuff available now? That's just extra expense at a time of rising fares and falling service levels.

And it's not like LACMTA's, MARTA's or WMATA's grooved concrete walls are visually unappealing.

Yes. Many sections of the subway are in the National Register of Historic Places, plus the NYCT renovation guidelines are preservation based, with modern elements required to resemble preexisting historical elements.

To me, they are. I was never a fan of Brutalist designs.

Edited by LTA1992

Shuttle buses are a must. The Q102 can't even handle 10% of the ridership, and the (MTA) can't in good conscience expect to have people wait 30 minutes for a Q102 or walk to the Q100 to the west or Q101 to the east.

I doubt they'll close all the El stations at the same time though.

at least they have 31st street for shuttle buses possibly, however the traffic is already high, and the supports for the subway makes things even more difficult.

I hope so, but the way they are handling BMT 4th Avenue is not promising...

It's a little but different on BMT 4th. the closures are more spaced out, and there are closer and more frequent buses than available for the package two closures.

To me, they are. I was never a fan of Brutalist designs.

Same here. Its done tastefully on Second Avenue where the only exposed concrete is the roof.

The track-wall tiles are a little bland though. I personally like the original IND color coding better.

Will this also be the case for the Astoria Line stations (since they are all local stations)?

Never mind, looks like the Q102 will provide alt service anyway.

On the other hand, now it's going to be a much less crowded transfer from the (7) at Queensboro... unless everyone walks to Astoria Blvd...

----

A few more ideas for renovation (based solely on personal observation, also kind of a wishlist):

15 St-Prospect Park (F)(G)

23 St (C)(E)

52 St (7)

69 St (7)

Chambers St (J)(Z)

East Broadway (F)

Grand Ave (M)(R)

Edited by agar io

A few more ideas for renovation (based solely on personal observation, also kind of a wishlist):

15 St-Prospect Park (F)(G)

23 St (C)(E)

52 St (7)

69 St (7)

Chambers St (J)(Z)

East Broadway (F)

Grand Ave (M)(R)

The problem is that most of these are very well-used stations (excepting the Prospect Park one). They've shied away from doing transfer stations, so Chambers is unfeasible (and that'd take a hell of a lot more than 6 months...) I assume most of these will be in "Phase Two" or whatever - they can only get so much done at once

Here's the plan from what I can decipher from the (MTA) procurement page:

In no particular order (as of now)

30th Avenue and 36th Avenue will close together, one platform at a time.

Broadway and 39th Avenue will close together, one platform at a time.

From what I can see, the four stations will not all close at the same time (at least not in the same direction.)

The Queens bound platforms will need temporary staircases at some point during the project, but the Manhattan bound platforms do not require such arrangement.

Package 3 (the 8 Av/CPW stations) will involve full station closures, and package 4 (except Penn Station) will also.

Here's the plan from what I can decipher from the (MTA) procurement page:

In no particular order (as of now)

30th Avenue and 36th Avenue will close together, one platform at a time.

Broadway and 39th Avenue will close together, one platform at a time.

From what I can see, the four stations will not all close at the same time (at least not in the same direction.)

The Queens bound platforms will need temporary staircases at some point during the project, but the Manhattan bound platforms do not require such arrangement.

Package 3 (the 8 Av/CPW stations) will involve full station closures, and package 4 (except Penn Station) will also.

Here are some screenshots of that presentation (great find!) and some new renderings:

18119046_306435813123226_866115772386053

18058182_306435833123224_776096993214430

18157494_306435839789890_917306721197131

18194968_306435846456556_886755185374191

17992189_306435853123222_705541443446693

I see they brought back those line maps from Lhota's (?) tenure. That's cool. I do wish they'd do something about those refrigerator tiles though. Oh well...

Also, it is nice to get some clarity on the station closures, especially those in Queens.

It would be good if they could close 1 half of the (N)(W) stations of the astoria line. Like one station would be closed in astoria direction and the following stop closed in manhattan direction. So passengers wouldn't have to walk that far for the next stop.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Just look at the image for Packages 5-8.

Since this is a document intended for contractors bidding on Packages 1-4, there is no image for 5-8 other than that general map.

Do we know which stations are in phases 5-8?

Package 5:

-Classon Av (G)

-Clinton-Washington (C)

-Flushing Av (G)

-Nostrand Av (A)(C)

-Van Siclen Av (C)

Package 6:

-3 Av-138 St (6)

-E149 Street (6)

-Brook Av (6)

-Pelham Parkway (5)

-Westchester Sq (6)

Package 7:

-Northern Blvd (M)(R)

-67 Av (M)(R)

-Parsons Blvd (F)

Package 8:

-145 St (3)

-167 St (B)(D)

-174-175 Sts (B)(D)

Package 8+:

Richmond Valley SIR

Since this is a document intended for contractors bidding on Packages 1-4, there is no image for 5-8 other than that general map.

Package 5:

-Classon Av (G)

-Clinton-Washington (C)

-Flushing Av (G)

-Nostrand Av (A)(C)

-Van Siclen Av (C)

Package 6:

-3 Av-138 St (6)

-E149 Street (6)

-Brook Av (6)

-Pelham Parkway (5)

-Westchester Sq (6)

Package 7:

-Northern Blvd (M)(R)

-67 Av (M)(R)

-Parsons Blvd (F)

Package 8:

-145 St (3)

-167 St (B)(D)

-174-175 Sts (B)(D)

Package 8+:

Richmond Valley SIR

The reason why I pointed to the map was because the stations can be clearly seen from there.