Enhanced Station Initiative

So they took down the walls at 174-175 and as per usual, it looks like no work has been done. They plastered some random areas and I think they redid the staircase but tiling still looks about the same with random plastering everywhere. Only saw 1 guy walking throughout the entire station. I thought Concourse was gonna be good too...

Edited by danielhg121

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

So they took down the walls at 174-175 and as per usual, it looks like no work has been done. They plastered some random areas and I think they redid the staircase but tiling still looks about the same with random plastering everywhere. Only saw 1 guy walking throughout the entire station. I thought Concourse was gonna be good too...

I hope the contractors at least repaint the walls to give it one uniform color, not a mix of dirty yellow and white like on the IND Eighth Avenue stations.

Every ESI station has reopened towards the end of the month they are scheduled to open. 23 Street is the only exception, so based on that, it's safe to assume a late December opening for 28 Street, 57 Street and 174-175 Streets.

In regards to the "upgrades" made at 23 Street and 145 Street, based on what we can see, I think we can safely assume that it is not in fact due to the contractors in question. With one contractor, a poor job done on the four stations under their purview would be contractor fault. However, if this is the case among several contractors across several projects, it becomes much more likely that this was the intended result based on what the MTA ordered. It would after all go hand in hand with their latest "cost-saving" efforts that have made the rounds here on the forum.

With the results of the latest two parts of the ESI program complete, we can now see a distinct difference from the first underground phase, which I believe was intentional. The 4th Avenue stations were the showcase to illustrate the effectiveness of the program, so it made sense to go all-out in their station rehabs. Same thing with the Astoria renovations since they were the first aboveground stations. Had the ESI program continued with the original slate of elevated stations, we probably would've seen the same lack of improvements at Westchester Square and the like.

It's very troubling that this is what they're trying to save a buck on. Whether it's painting over water-damaged walls and tiles or ignoring the underlying structural defects in favor of stringing up new lights and adding those new ad monitors (both of which are not bad in themselves), they are only deferring the problem to a later point where it's both more expensive and more disruptive to commuters than it would've been to address the problem in the first place.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Every ESI station has reopened towards the end of the month they are scheduled to open. 23 Street is the only exception, so based on that, it's safe to assume a late December opening for 28 Street, 57 Street and 174-175 Streets.

In regards to the "upgrades" made at 23 Street and 145 Street, based on what we can see, I think we can safely assume that it is not in fact due to the contractors in question. With one contractor, a poor job done on the four stations under their purview would be contractor fault. However, if this is the case among several contractors across several projects, it becomes much more likely that this was the intended result based on what the MTA ordered. It would after all go hand in hand with their latest "cost-saving" efforts that have made the rounds here on the forum.

With the results of the latest two parts of the ESI program complete, we can now see a distinct difference from the first underground phase, which I believe was intentional. The 4th Avenue stations were the showcase to illustrate the effectiveness of the program, so it made sense to go all-out in their station rehabs. Same thing with the Astoria renovations since they were the first aboveground stations. Had the ESI program continued with the original slate of elevated stations, we probably would've seen the same lack of improvements at Westchester Square and the like.

It's very troubling that this is what they're trying to save a buck on. Whether it's painting over water-damaged walls and tiles or ignoring the underlying structural defects in favor of stringing up new lights and adding those new ad monitors (both of which are not bad in themselves), they are only deferring the problem to a later point where it's both more expensive and more disruptive to commuters than it would've been to address the problem in the first place.

Yep. Pay now, save later; save now, pay later. They need to abide by this, it would really help them. 

Whether it's through the fares or the city and state taxes, we pay regardless. For our "investment" here, we shouldn't have to keep paying for the same things time and again simply because the work wasn't done right the first time.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:22 AM, danielhg121 said:

I saw the walls go down that same weekend, but this week, I seen people actually working. The gates that covered the staircase and abandoned lower level are now replaced with a brick wall.

33 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

Saw a glimpse of 174th Street today and it already looks much better than CPW renovations. The tiles actually look clean, and the new walls that cover the abandoned 175th Street entrance actually fit in nicely. Can't wait to see 167th.

In comparison 57th street looks like a joke. Are they really going to keep those stained/water damaged tiles?  They took down the blue plywood or whatever they had up before, and I was passing by on an (F) train today. The rest of the station looks decent, but those walls... At least clean them and replace the water damaged ones...

28th might be delayed:

All times until Winter 2018-19
4 service is skipping 28 St in both directions because of station enhancements
Use nearby 6 stations along Park Av South at 33 St or 23 St. Or, use the nearby 28 St R/W station on Broadway.
Local buses are also available along Lexington Av and Madison Av. 

12/12/18 4:10 PM
NYC

5 minutes ago, m7zanr160s said:

Passed by 174-175 Streets earlier and I have to say, it's looking nice...! From what I can see most of the tiles look clean and/or new.

I agree. With this station being the first station to reopen in the Bronx, it looks very satisfying, even though it's not open yet. My question is, how will the entrances look, especially under the Grand Concourse on the 174 St Underpass?

1 hour ago, AJ of JGD said:

I agree. With this station being the first station to reopen in the Bronx, it looks very satisfying, even though it's not open yet. My question is, how will the entrances look, especially under the Grand Concourse on the 174 St Underpass?

The brown tiles they use for the entrances will probably be replaced by those blue rectangular tiles you see at the entrances of ESI stations.

14 hours ago, AJ of JGD said:

I really hope they added anti-pigeon spikes or something to that entrance, it was absolutely filthy before it closed.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, Cabanamaner said:

I really hope they added anti-pigeon spikes or something to that entrance, it was absolutely filthy before it closed.

It really was in bad condition, especially because of the fact that it was under Grand Concourse. The only other 2 stations to have that entrance under the Concourse is Bedford Park Boulevard and Kingsbridge Road.

18 hours ago, Derrick Tan said:

I'm still waiting for post-ESI 57th Street videos to come out. Hopefully it looks good since it's been closed longer than 145th Street and 23rd Street.

STATION ENHANCEMENTS
Until Thurday, Dec 20
57 St (F)   Station is temporarily closed

trains skip 57 St in both directions.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

STATION ENHANCEMENTS
Until Thurday, Dec 20
57 St (F)   Station is temporarily closed

trains skip 57 St in both directions.

I hope 57th Street would be much better looking because it's a newer station like the 4th Avenue stations and took longer to renovate.