Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/28/2018 at 5:40 PM, Italianstallion said:

It's way past due to remove the Beebe name - that was officially changed to 39th Ave. a hundred years ago, for God's sake! But Dutch Kills? Does anyone around there call it that? It must be a hipster thing.

There’s a hipster-y bar out there called Dutch Kills. Went there with co-workers once. So yes, pretty hipster-y LOL

19 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey @Union Tpke. Do you know the exact date of when 39th and Broadway are scheduled to reopen? I know they’re supposed to reopen in February though I kinda doubt that. 

I have no idea. I only get what I know by scouring the MTA website on a regular basis.

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

I wonder what the history there is. I've always known Dutch Kills to be this body of water, which, for reference, is south of Sunnyside yards. 

I did some research on this area. The original Dutch Kills creek, a tributary of Newtown Creek, extended through what is now Sunnyside Yards and ended at 38th Ave. and Northern Blvd. - so, very close to the 39th Ave. station. (The creek was covered over by the yards and then canalized so that it now ends south of Queens Blvd.) There was a village of Dutch Kills near the current Dutch Kills Playground at Crescent St. and 36th Ave. The village became incorporated into Long Island City. In 2008, the area, largely industrial for over 100 years, was rezoned to encourage residential use. This seems to have had the desired effect, and some gentrification has occurred. Having grown up in Astoria, I can say that no one ever used the term Dutch Kills. It was always Long Island City, or in its northern areas, Ravenswood. 

11 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

I did some research on this area. The original Dutch Kills creek, a tributary of Newtown Creek, extended through what is now Sunnyside Yards and ended at 38th Ave. and Northern Blvd. - so, very close to the 39th Ave. station. (The creek was covered over by the yards and then canalized so that it now ends south of Queens Blvd.) There was a village of Dutch Kills near the current Dutch Kills Playground at Crescent St. and 36th Ave. The village became incorporated into Long Island City. In 2008, the area, largely industrial for over 100 years, was rezoned to encourage residential use. This seems to have had the desired effect, and some gentrification has occurred. Having grown up in Astoria, I can say that no one ever used the term Dutch Kills. It was always Long Island City, or in its northern areas, Ravenswood. 

Wow! Excellent historical research. I pulled up HistoricAerials to get an old topo (this is from 1900):

a6lBPdH.png

Edited by RR503

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

Wow! Excellent historical research. I pulled up HistoricAerials to get an old topo (this is from 1900):

a6lBPdH.png

You can see how the Kills ends under the S or T of HISTORIC, by the tracks. A western branch ends in a swampy area by the capital L. I believe those blocks in between the two are the village of Dutch Kills.