Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Dutch Kills sounds like a station on SIR. I don't know why it sounds so familiar...could I be confusing it with Arthur Kill?

In any event, they are both Dutch names.  Plenty of Dutch influence on Staten Island and all around the City given that the Dutch settled NYC.   Staten Island is from the Dutch word "Staaten Eylandt" (literally 'States Island'), that the English anglicized to Staten Island.  Plenty of other examples as well... All of the words on Staten Island that end with "Kill" are Dutch words... "Great Kills" is another one...

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Dutch Kills sounds like a station on SIR. I don't know why it sounds so familiar...could I be confusing it with Arthur Kill?

Unless you are familiar with the various branches of Newtown Creek. That's where the name comes from.

Edited by LTA1992

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes. It took me a few moments to realize that 39th Avenue in Long Island City also got a new name appended to it. 

35 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Wasnt this station co-named with Beebe Ave?

Yes it was. I’m not really sure why they needed to drop it entirely.

5 hours ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

Does anyone know the status of both 34th St/7th Avenue and 34th St/8th Avenue ESI? Since the stations are getting ESI while open, so its not exactly measurable. Are either stations done?

Bits and pieces. None of them are done but the direct entrances from Penn Station to each station have some of the ESI things installed already.

10 minutes ago, m7zanr160s said:

167 St on the (D) train is now open. Funny thing is, it wasn't when I was going northbound around 7:15 pm, so they just just opened it.

Stopped there around 8:50 pm, southbound. 

I past by there last week, and it did not look close to opening. More work to be done after its opening.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:08 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yes. It took me a few moments to realize that 39th Avenue in Long Island City also got a new name appended to it. 

They needed to drop Beebe Avenue because the official name change from Beebe Ave. to 39th Ave, occurred approximately 100 years ago. I think that's enough time to keep the obsolete name!

10 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Rawson, Lowery and Bliss streets and Lincoln Avenue still appear on (7) line stations in Sunnyside and Woodside. Those names are probably just as “obsolete” as Beebe Avenue.

They were added back after those names were added back on street signs

From the Bliss Street wikipedia page

46th Street was originally named simply Bliss Street after early ferry operator and industrialist Neziah Bliss, whose other namesakes include the nearby neighborhood of Blissville. His name was dropped from the street in the 1920s. The subway station retained the name until 1998, during which time the station name was the inspiration for the electronic band 46bliss. In 1998, the MTA removed it from maps and signage, but by 2003, neighborhood activist Pat Dorfman collected 1,900 signatures, successfully lobbying the MTA and the City Council to restore the old street and station names. The MTA did so in 2004, and the Council added the ceremonial name; street intersection signs near the station now feature a secondary Bliss St plaque.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:08 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Beebe Avenue was the original name of 39th. The only reason those names are still around, and this includes the Flushing Line, was because people in the neighborhoods wanted the names preserved. The MTA has tried to get rid of them.

But it's 2018 and many of those people are surely cadaverriffic by now. So I'm sure it matters much less at this date.

Edited by LTA1992