Enhanced Station Initiative

On 1/16/2019 at 8:41 PM, Lawrence St said:

Can someone tell me who's smart idea it was to put a pole right in front of a turnstile at 28th St?

That pole has been there for 114 years. If anything they shouldn't have put a turnstile behind an existing pole.

Edited by Around the Horn

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/16/2019 at 2:32 AM, LTA1992 said:

Beebe Avenue was the original name of 39th. The only reason those names are still around, and this includes the Flushing Line, was because people in the neighborhoods wanted the names preserved. The MTA has tried to get rid of them.

But it's 2018 and many of those people are surely cadaverriffic by now. So I'm sure it matters much less at this date.

Rawson, Lowery, and Bliss will never be removed because of the dual street signs outside of those stations.  Instead of removing outdated names, another option is to have the City restore them, then they will become current.  A few other once non existing station names are guaranteed to be preserved in the future because the City has already taken action to rename or co name areas near the subway stations

6 Av (L),

110 St stations (1), (2)(3), (B)(C),

E 143 St (6).

Restored in the future

E 177 St (6) (would be the 4th time MTA had to completely restore a station name they previously removed)

Honorable mention:

Continental Av (no longer on the subway map, but still in the station.)

The old names on the (A) were preserved recently (though will likely be removed from the stations in the far future). At one point MTA stopped removing historic names due to complaints. Lincoln and Fisk on the (7) are in danger of being removed next since they weren't recently renovated. Unless they want to restore Lincoln and Fisk via the City Council.

https://nypost.com/2012/10/07/subway-stations-retain-signs-listing-places-and-streets-that-no-longer-exist/

Edited by GreatOne2k

18 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

The old names on the (A) were preserved recently (though will likely be removed from the stations in the far future). At one point MTA stopped removing historic names due to complaints. 

Yes, though not all on the (A) were preserved, Beach 67 - Gaston got its name changed to Arverne By The Sea, that won’t be going away anytime soon.

18 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Rawson, Lowery, and Bliss will never be removed because of the dual street signs outside of those stations.  Instead of removing outdated names, another option is to have the City restore them, then they will become current.  A few other once non existing station names are guaranteed to be preserved in the future because the City has already taken action to rename or co name areas near the subway stations

6 Av (L),

110 St stations (1), (2)(3), (B)(C),

E 143 St (6).

Restored in the future

E 177 St (6) (would be the 4th time MTA had to completely restore a station name they previously removed)

Honorable mention:

Continental Av (no longer on the subway map, but still in the station.)

The old names on the (A) were preserved recently (though will likely be removed from the stations in the far future). At one point MTA stopped removing historic names due to complaints. Lincoln and Fisk on the (7) are in danger of being removed next since they weren't recently renovated. Unless they want to restore Lincoln and Fisk via the City Council.

https://nypost.com/2012/10/07/subway-stations-retain-signs-listing-places-and-streets-that-no-longer-exist/

What's the estimated cost of renaming a station? 

On 1/25/2019 at 11:02 PM, GreatOne2k said:

The only (A) Rockaway stations whose second names still make sense are Far Rockaway, 25th- Wavecrest, 67th-Arverne, and Rockaway Park (Edgemere kind of makes sense). 

1 hour ago, Italianstallion said:

Opened today.

That concludes the Enhanced Station Initiative if you really think about it, since the QB and Fulton packages were removed when ESI was cancelled. 

Now that I think of it, should this thread basically become a Station Rehabilitation Discussion Thread

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

Just now, Eagle Railfanning said:

Not exactly, theres still the two 34th Streets in manhattan (7th and 8th avenues)— and theres more ESI as part of the 2020-2024 capital program.

Now that you bring that up, I wonder if (MTA) is still going through with that. (For 34th Street-Penn Station for both the (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E)) Also, I hope you’re not mixing up ESI with overall Station Rehabilitations. 

Just now, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Now that you bring that up, I wonder if (MTA) is still going through with that. (For 34th Street-Penn Station for both the (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E)) Also, I hope you’re not mixing up ESI with overall Station Rehabilitations. 

No, I’m not mixing it up. Both 34th Streets are definitely part of ESI package 4. And yes they are going through with it, the renovations are currently happening as the stations remain open.