Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also rebuilt the side platforms and Van Cortlandt Park, for at least 3 months the walls on the side platforms were missing.

I guess the MTA thought that, "These are never going to be used again, but if it makes the platforms on each side of the track look symmetrical, then so be it." Then wasted a lot of money renovating unused platforms.

The Concourse line is going to be hectic when two or its stations close. 174-175th Streets and 167th Street are stations that have a ton of commuter traffic, whether that be on the weekends, rush hour, or midday. That's more time removed from people's schedules because there's a long distance from every station on the line.

Not to mention that 174-175 St is built across a gorge with access from both below and above the station. From the looks of it, the climb from 174th Street to the Concourse is a very long detour without having to go through the station mezzanine. Closing the station will cut off that shortcut.

I hope that after the renovation, they reopen the 175th Street exit. Another potential shortcut for riders in the area.

Not to mention that 174-175 St is built across a gorge with access from both below and above the station. From the looks of it, the climb from 174th Street to the Concourse is a very long detour without having to go through the station mezzanine. Closing the station will cut off that shortcut.

I hope that after the renovation, they reopen the 175th Street exit. Another potential shortcut for riders in the area.

I've always wondered about that area and how the Grand Concourse looks so high up passing through on the BxM4 bus.  So how exactly do people access that station if they're below the Concourse on say 174th street since there looks like the Cross Bronx Expressway literally cuts under the Concourse? Staircase somewhere leading to the Concourse?

I've always wondered about that area and how the Grand Concourse looks so high up passing through on the BxM4 bus.  So how exactly do people access that station if they're below the Concourse on say 174th street since there looks like the Cross Bronx Expressway literally cuts under the Concourse? Staircase somewhere leading to the Concourse?

I believe you walk up stairs there like an elevated station.

It's significantly cheaper and easier to extend two platforms and build a passageway, than it is to demolish two stations and build a brand new one.

Both stations look equidistant from Union Ave. Imagine of they were both connected, maybe Hewes "southbound" and Lorimer "Northbound"

Edited by N6 Limited

After South Ferry is shut down, 145th Street will be the only remaining 5 car station in the system that's still in operation.

If that's the case for the foreseeable future, that stop should have been closed a long time ago sometime after Lenox Terminal opened in 1968. In my opinion, I would have seen Intervale Avenue on the 2/5 trains be part of this initiative rather than 145th Street.

4 via Mosholu.

I believe you walk up stairs there like an elevated station.

Yeah, the subway is above 174th Street. The entrance is on the side of the tunnel under the Grand Concourse and the IND Concourse Line. Then you walk upstairs to the platforms after going through the fare control.

(Edit; fixed typos)

Edited by agar io

That's the better-looking one. The closed entrance is even "lovelier". It's even decorated with graffiti over an ugly corrugated gate!

Wow... Outside of 161st street, I'd say the stations along the Concourse are disgusting.  I've had the "pleasure" of using the one at Fordham Road when I missed my BxM4 bus and it was pitiful.  

Finally Central Park West stations get some attention. 72nd and 86th Street are incredibly disgusting. They need an elevator or escalator at those stations too. Those stairs are a B.

Plenty of rats racing about [emoji193]

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

IRT isn't getting any love? Wow.

If I recall, a few of the stations on that division were re-tiled, got new benches, and perforated staircases.

I clearly remember:

103rd Street got rehabilitated

Astor Pl got rehabilitated (unrelated, the cube was also reinstated topside)

Are they planning to "re-open" the 163rd St Station? The north half is closed essentially

You're talking about the locked staircases under Amsterdam Ave?

I also created a thread on this. Moderators, could that thread be merged in here?

That is one of the most disgusting stations on the subway system. It smells like an uncleaned bathroom.

A lot of them do, and that's mainly because they HAVE uncleaned bathrooms.

When you swipe in strangers, they become a liability to the public restrooms and station aesthetic.

The mta is dismal in its upkeep but swiping it forward for ungrateful hobos makes it far more intolerant.

LMAO@refrigerator tiles.

They're bathroom tiles, to build on @Union_Tpke's momentum.

Not as bad as, say, BMT Chambers Street, but it's not exactly appealing either.

That place looks like a DUNGEON

• 2 months later...

A little bit of an update on the ESI front. Fellow forum user "j express" was at the Bergen Street Sign Shop tour where they had a (prototype?) strip map for 53rd Street on display.

20597403_1452165731539629_80187166535617

There's just a few errors on the map, but the design isn't too bad.

Why strip maps? Are they a) redoing R46s to have Strip Maps and/or b) are the R179s not going to have FIND?

It needed everything it got. Did they put in new MVM machines? There's like two credit card only machines and two of the big ones, and usually only one of them works. I got so sick of walking all the way down the hill and not knowing if I can refill my Metrocard, that I just stopped altogether. I either do it in Manhattan or walk to Metro-North in Riverdale and refill once I get to Grand Central.

It is posible to refill your card from the agent, LOL. There's never a line for him/her.

If that's the case for the foreseeable future, that stop should have been closed a long time ago sometime after Lenox Terminal opened in 1968. In my opinion, I would have seen Intervale Avenue on the 2/5 trains be part of this initiative rather than 145th Street.

4 via Mosholu.

Unlike 148th St -- which is really at 149th St. -- 145th connects with crosstown buses. It's also on a different avenue.

It is posible to refill your card from the agent, LOL. There's never a line for him/her.

I don't know why you're laughing as if you're so brilliant for using them instead of the MVMs. They don't take credit cards or debit cards, and they don't issue receipts, which I need because I can write off some of my transportation expenses, so I would never use them for that reason alone. Additionally, if you lose your Metrocard and get it from the booth, you're pretty much out of luck, as the (MTA) will NOT refund you when you pay in cash. I always pay with a debit or credit card, this way I can be refunded if the card is lost or misplaced. Years ago I was cleaning out my wallet and mistook an active Metrocard as one that was no longer in use and cut it up. One phone call to Amex and my account was issued a credit for the amount of the Metrocard.

Wouldn't that require the construction of new power stations or vent buildings?

Yeah, you'd need to modify the current stations pretty significantly for HVAC.

In fact, the current reason the heat is so bad in the subway is because the trains are air conditioned; they dump their heat externally into the stations and tunnels.

I don't know why you're laughing as if you're so brilliant for using them instead of the MVMs. They don't take credit cards or debit cards, and they don't issue receipts, which I need because I can write off some of my transportation expenses, so I would never use them for that reason alone. Additionally, if you lose your Metrocard and get it from the booth, you're pretty much out of luck, as the (MTA) will NOT refund you when you pay in cash. I always pay with a debit or credit card, this way I can be refunded if the card is lost or misplaced. Years ago I was cleaning out my wallet and mistook an active Metrocard as one that was no longer in use and cut it up. One phone call to Amex and my account was issued a credit for the amount of the Metrocard.

All true, but as someone who uses CASH often, there is something good about handing the guy my Metrocard and a $20 Bill and say fill it up. 

Not only is it pleasant to speak to somebody, he or she is typically so much faster than the MVM’s, where one has to press 8 buttons.