Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to avoid flooding everytime it rains 

They do it for a lot of the redone station entrances, but I feel like they don’t go far enough sometimes. The Canal Street station, for example, has stairs that lead directly to the (6) platform, but they are not covered meaning heavy rain and snow will make these stairs very slippery. A roof over the stairs would be a nice addition.

Are they going to look like the recently renovated stations on the IRT Livonia and BMT Culver lines, or are these stations getting an entirely new design?

I do not know if there is going to be a completely different design to elevated platforms. From the 1980's to the early 90's, the initial design was based on the corrugated iron sheet treatment. One apparent addition was the orange band that existed before the yellow safety edge. Then there was the late 1999 to early 2000's design which stipulated that all elevated and open cut stops share a common color. This first began to be the case for the Franklin (S) when it was completely reconstructed. Beginning around 2004 and 05, it evolved into the design that you spoke of. The early design of the 2004-05 era was initially of a rectangular profile (perfect example is at Jackson Avenue for the (2) / (5) trains) before moving on to the squared profile (like Allerton Avenue on the (2) train) with a modified layout that had been in use for recent renovations since between 2006 and 2007. The designs have adapted to the type of terrain that they run through. Based on all of this, I know that the mezzanine level is going to be of a different design. But for the platforms themselves, I don't really know which design they are going to pick.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

The two most remarkable things I saw at 53rd Street is, they sandblasted the concrete ceiling and left it bare. No more painting of concrete for the MTA. I think that is a good choice since in 25 years it will be all peeling and snowing paint chips on passengers. They also probably did "lead abatement" but there were a couple spots near the staircases near the wall near a wire trough that the sandblast gun didnt reach and the beige flaking paint chips are still seen. Also on plat level near the south end plat to mez stairs some of the plastic wrap used for sand blasting/painting is still there wrapped around conduit.

DC Metro meanwhile is painting their concrete ceilings as a new policy.

https://twitter.com/Tracktwentynine/status/846872851969953793

https://dc.curbed.com/2017/3/31/15122600/metro-wmata-union-station-paint-brutalism

Also either MTA installed optical infrared fire detectors, or people counters on the ceilings. I can't tell. They sort of look like camera lenses but they aren't. Never seen them before.

There is also a black ribbed, "towards exit" tile band in the platform. Like an airplane floor emg evac floor light, but just ceramic tile. Not sure if it is ADA or fire code.

How is maintaining these things not going to be a nightmare? The lighting on the canopy, and in the handrails, and behind the exit signs? I cannot imagine any of this looking good in 10 years. 

LEDs, so they don't have to change the light as frequently as using fluorescent tubes.

It looks like 30 Avenue and 36 Avenue on the Astoria line will be the first elevated stations to undergo the ESI program. Starting Oct. 23rd, both stations will close for approximately eight months.

I was under the assumption it was one platform at a time, but I guess that plan is scrapped??

It isn’t mentioned on any of the articles that are covering the closures.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170914/astoria/nw-subway-station-closures-30th-avenue-36th-avenue-oct-23-mta-renovations

Edited by R42N

I was under the assumption it was one platform at a time, but I guess that plan is scrapped??

It isn’t mentioned on any of the articles that are covering the closures.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170914/astoria/nw-subway-station-closures-30th-avenue-36th-avenue-oct-23-mta-renovations

It looks like 30 Avenue and 36 Avenue on the Astoria line will be the first elevated stations to undergo the ESI program. Starting Oct. 23rd, both stations will close for approximately eight months.

Apparently, the MTA has declared that no elevators will be installed at any of these stations. Just wait until the politicians catch wind of it and force the MTA to install elevators at 30 Av, Broadway 36 Av, and 39 Av, and not just at Astoria Blvd (planned for future elevator installation). Note: Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, being the end of the route, should also be equipped with elevators, especially at the end of the EL near Ditmars Blvd at the TD bank (or even a handicapped-accessible pedestrian ramp with new fare control at Ditmars Blvd).

And yes, the original plan would have had a similar operation to what is seen on the current Manhattan-bound (F) and Coney Island-bound (N) in Brooklyn, with in the first phase, Manhattan-bound trains running express from Astoria Blvd to Queensboro Plaza (which could have had the benefits of rehabilitating Astoria Blvd at the same time) and the second phase having the service pattern reversed (Astoria-bound trains are express). However, there were several operational issues with this plan;

1. The Astoria Line would have been reduced to 2 tracks for the entire stretch of the route and any problem along the line warrants an immediate suspension of the (N)(W) between Queensboro Plaza or Times Square and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. We have seen the lack of flexibility and the consequences of such an idea with the (F) line's Culver Rehabilitation (any hiccup shuts down service south of Church Av and sends all (F) trains trapped in Brooklyn through the West End/4 Av Express route. 

2. The ridership at the four stations cannot all be accommodated at Astoria Blvd to transfer between the local and the express trains.

3. I am not even sure if the track capacity of the express track (at least Manhattan-bound) can accommodate the 14-15 TPH of the (N)(W) during rush hours. That would lead to definitely a reduction to the (N)(W) service and people being left on platforms waiting for multiple trains to pass before being able to board a train.

4. Due to the lack of track capacity and the necessity to make track inspections/repairs during the project, Astoria might as well say goodbye to the (W) train outside rush hours and adios to the (N) train outside of weekdays from 5:30AM to 11:30PM.

With the current proposal, the ridership from 30 Av needs to be distributed between Astoria Blvd and Broadway, and 36 Av's ridership dispersed between 39 Av, Steinway St (M)(R), and Broadway, leading to serious overcrowding. 

Edited by darkstar8983

Apparently, the MTA has declared that no elevators will be installed at any of these stations. Just wait until the politicians catch wind of it and force the MTA to install elevators at 30 Av, Broadway 36 Av, and 39 Av, and not just at Astoria Blvd (planned for future elevator installation). Note: Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, being the end of the route, should also be equipped with elevators, especially at the end of the EL near Ditmars Blvd at the TD bank (or even a handicapped-accessible pedestrian ramp with new fare control at Ditmars Blvd).

They should be sued and forced to install elevators. It's a disgrace that they repeatedly try to get away with this crap in 2017. When do they think people with disabilities are supposed to be able to use the subway? I would go one further and use that get the QM22 express bus back for Astoria.

They should be sued and forced to install elevators. It's a disgrace that they repeatedly try to get away with this crap in 2017. When do they think people with disabilities are supposed to be able to use the subway? I would go one further and use that get the QM22 express bus back for Astoria.

So agree. It's an elevated route so litttle digging required. This in 2017 is shameful.

So agree. It's an elevated route so litttle digging required. This in 2017 is shameful.

I can't recall where I heard about this at, but I think it was a guy who was able-bodied before who hurt his leg or ankle or something temporarily, but he said the whole thing really opened his eyes as to how bad disabled people have it that need to use the subway.  It's really an obstacle course. You have to figure out which stations have elevators, then hope that they actually work. My neighborhood has a lot of elderly and disabled people, and I think out of three stations that are nearest to me, only one of them has an elevator and it's incredibly slow.  All of those stations there in Astoria are high up and require quite a trek to get to the platform.

And yes, the original plan would have had a similar operation to what is seen on the current Manhattan-bound (F) and Coney Island-bound (N) in Brooklyn, with in the first phase, Manhattan-bound trains running express from Astoria Blvd to Queensboro Plaza (which could have had the benefits of rehabilitating Astoria Blvd at the same time) and the second phase having the service pattern reversed (Astoria-bound trains are express). However, there were several operational issues with this plan;

1. The Astoria Line would have been reduced to 2 tracks for the entire stretch of the route and any problem along the line warrants an immediate suspension of the (N)(W) between Queensboro Plaza or Times Square and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. We have seen the lack of flexibility and the consequences of such an idea with the (F) line's Culver Rehabilitation (any hiccup shuts down service south of Church Av and sends all (F) trains trapped in Brooklyn through the West End/4 Av Express route. 

2. The ridership at the four stations cannot all be accommodated at Astoria Blvd to transfer between the local and the express trains.

3. I am not even sure if the track capacity of the express track (at least Manhattan-bound) can accommodate the 14-15 TPH of the (N)(W) during rush hours. That would lead to definitely a reduction to the (N)(W) service and people being left on platforms waiting for multiple trains to pass before being able to board a train.

4. Due to the lack of track capacity and the necessity to make track inspections/repairs during the project, Astoria might as well say goodbye to the (W) train outside rush hours and adios to the (N) train outside of weekdays from 5:30AM to 11:30PM.

With the current proposal, the ridership from 30 Av needs to be distributed between Astoria Blvd and Broadway, and 36 Av's ridership dispersed between 39 Av, Steinway St (M)(R), and Broadway, leading to serious overcrowding. 

This makes sense, and it’s far more logical, but 8 months without service will be tough...

I’m contemplating moving my parents to one of those high rise condos right off Beebe Ave, but since my father has trouble walking for extended distances, he can’t walk to Washington Ave or Queensboro Plaza, so the hope was, when service was effected, he could take the train to Hoyt Ave and transfer back. 

Again, 8 months with no convenient alternative is not fun, and while it’s totally selfish of me in the grand scheme, I’m not sure if I want the station to be “enhanced” (especially if elevators aren’t coming in)..... 

I think they're building extra temporary staircases at the stations that will still be open, to handle the existing passenger volume...

I will say this is one situation where shuttle buses would be a good thing, unless they choose to run additional Q102 short turns like the B9.

I think they're building extra temporary staircases at the stations that will still be open, to handle the existing passenger volume...

I will say this is one situation where shuttle buses would be a good thing, unless they choose to run additional Q102 short turns like the B9.

From Beebe, they will have to run additional Q102 short turns, but even then, that’s a 10-15 minute delay. Between 39 and QBoro the buses crawl as they go through Northern Blvd, resulting in heavy delays. My plan would be to walk to 36 street on the (M) / (R), which will overcrowd the already placed Queens Blvd Line. 

Edited by R42N

On 9/23/2017 at 8:07 PM, P3F said:

Other than the Astoria line, which above-ground lines (or stations) still haven't been rehabilitated in the new (post-1998) style?

The Westchester Square stop on the (6) train and the Intervale Avenue stop on the (2) train still have not been renovated in the new style. In fact, most of the stops along the (G) (except for Metropolitan Avenue/Grand Street, Smith/9th Streets, and 4th Avenue) still have not been renovated, including all the stops on the (5) Dyre Avenue Line. Chambers Street on the (J) train would need a massive renovation since it was not rebuilt in the new style, including the Bowery stop.

41 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

The Westchester Square stop on the (6) train and the Intervale Avenue stop on the (2) train still have not been renovated in the new style. In fact, most of the stops along the (G) (except for Metropolitan Avenue/Grand Street, Smith/9th Streets, and 4th Avenue) still have not been renovated, including all the stops on the (5) Dyre Avenue Line. Chambers Street on the (J) train would need a massive renovation since it was not rebuilt in the new style, including the Bowery stop.

The (G) only has two above-ground stations, and both of them (4th Avenue & Smith-9th Street) have been renovated (intentionally not in the "new style).

4 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Chambers Street on the (J) train would need a massive renovation since it was not rebuilt in the new style, including the Bowery stop.

He was asking Above ground stations not underground ones.

Brighton Beach and I believe the (J) Train stations north of Crescent Street (Excluding Stuphin Blvd and Jamaica Center) and wasn't renovated pre 1998 yet.