Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

As of today, the construction walls at 110th Street (B)(C) were taken down and the result are... barely anything. The station opens next month and looks identical to how it did before it closed, with the same tiles, artwork, etc. The only thing different seems to be the new floor and platform edge strip, which could've been installed while the station remained open. I understand that part of the ESI work is structural and not all cosmetic, but they could've at least been a little more imaginative. 

2 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

As of today, the construction walls at 110th Street (B)(C) were taken down and the result are...barely anything. The station opens next month and looks identical to how it did before it closed, with the same tiles, artwork, etc. The only thing different seems to be the new floor and platform edge strip, which could've been installed while the station remained open. I understand that part of the ESI work is structural and not all cosmetic, but they could've at least been a little more imaginative. 

It's a shame how this is amusing. Were you expecting more? This is the MTA we're talking about.

3 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

As of today, the construction walls at 110th Street (B)(C) were taken down and the result are... barely anything. The station opens next month and looks identical to how it did before it closed, with the same tiles, artwork, etc. The only thing different seems to be the new floor and platform edge strip, which could've been installed while the station remained open. I understand that part of the ESI work is structural and not all cosmetic, but they could've at least been a little more imaginative. 

Whenever the (MTA) takes station design in a new direction, it's bound to cost a ton. It honestly doesn't matter for most riders however since the stations function to carry people in and out. 

4 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

Actually the Northbound side walls were taken down as of last Sunday. Same thing with 72nd Street on the Uptown Side.

(MTA)'s purpose with the ESI program is to "enhanced" the visual amenities and customer flow of the subway station's but by the same token maintaining the respect and consistency of the original layout and design of a station. Design wise the station should keep it's originality, no need for some drastic changes to the walls. Still think elevators are needed for those with disabilities but it is what it is.

Ding ding ding. Even at the 4th Avenue ESI-rehabbed stations, the "original" ('70s) tiling is still in place for the most part. The idea behind the renovations is to open them up and make them feel less dark and claustrophobic. Besides, if they replaced perfectly good tiles, I'm sure the complaints would revolve wasteful expenses.

For those wondering, there was in fact actually changes to the tiles at 110th Street. Its now more of a rectangular style rather than the whole squares style like it previously had and it looks like they're adding some artwork or the Zoosk on the platform. And it also looks like they reverted some of the styles back before it went through its first renovation back in pre 1998.

Video was recorded on 8/22/2018.

Southbound service at 110th Street is now scheduled to reopen at noon on Labor while the northbound side will reopen 5 AM Tuesday according to the latest news release. Was kinda not surprised given the fact that they started tearing down the walls a couple weeks ago.

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/structural-repairs-functional-enhancements-cathedral-pkwy-110-st-subway

12 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Southbound service at 110th Street is now scheduled to reopen at noon on Labor while the northbound side will reopen 5 AM Tuesday according to the latest news release. Was kinda not surprised given the fact that they started tearing down the walls a couple weeks ago.

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/structural-repairs-functional-enhancements-cathedral-pkwy-110-st-subway

Why is there the need to reopen 110th Street - Cathedral Parkway on two different days and times when 30th-Grand Avenues and 36th-Washington Avenues reopened on the same day at the same time?

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Why is there the need to reopen 110th Street - Cathedral Parkway on two different days and times when 30th-Grand Avenues and 36th-Washington Avenues reopened on the same day at the same time?

Presumably, the northbound side isn't quite ready.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/weekend-subway-service-advisory-september-7-10

Anybody notice that the term "ESI" is still used in the press releases for each weekend's service changes?

Maybe the agency figures nobody reads these press releases so it's okay? 😜

11 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/weekend-subway-service-advisory-september-7-10

Anybody notice that the term "ESI" is still used in the press releases for each weekend's service changes?

Maybe the agency figures nobody reads these press releases so it's okay? 😜

Maybe because some of the work is ESI related?

I'm really not a fan of those half-height turnstile walls or whatever they're called that are in place at the ESI stations. I've seen people simply reach over the wall, push the emergency door bar on the other side, and walk through effortlessly. It's almost like the MTA made it easier to beat the fare. I'm sure they could be come up with a stylish design that, you know, doesn't rob them of money?

On 9/10/2018 at 9:39 AM, Cabanamaner said:

Maybe because some of the work is ESI related?

I meant that ever since the ESI was put on hold, the agency stopped using that term in press releases announcing talking specifically about the rehabs (for example: http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/broadway-39-av-nw-stations-undergo-extensive-repairs-renovations)

For the regular press releases for weekend service changes that go out each week, the term "ESI" still gets used. But why would we expect consistency from the MTA.

7 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

I'm really not a fan of those half-height turnstile walls or whatever they're called that are in place at the ESI stations. I've seen people simply reach over the wall, push the emergency door bar on the other side, and walk through effortlessly. It's almost like the MTA made it easier to beat the fare. I'm sure they could be come up with a stylish design that, you know, doesn't rob them of money?

Fare-beaters are going to fare-beat no matter what measure we take. Might as well have an aesthetically pleasing station for everyone else.

14 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

I meant that ever since the ESI was put on hold, the agency stopped using that term in press releases announcing talking specifically about the rehabs (for example: http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/broadway-39-av-nw-stations-undergo-extensive-repairs-renovations)

For the regular press releases for weekend service changes that go out each week, the term "ESI" still gets used. But why would we expect consistency from the MTA.

They're probably cut and pasted from previous press releases when the rehabs were still part of the ESI program.