Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the construction walls at 163rd (C) have been removed. The station actually looks a lot better and I dig the new art that was installed. The stairs leading to the 163rd street entrance/exit have been removed on both platforms, essentially confirming that this exit won't reopen anytime soon. Quite a waste of a pretty large mezzanine, I feel it would be pretty easy to install elevators there.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Here's a picture of the outside area. I'm particularly interested in seeing this one because I'm on the Upper West Side a lot in this area either coming to or from the BxM2, and the old station was disgusting. I used to avoid it and walk down to 66th for the (1).

72nd-subway4.jpg

Source: https://www.westsiderag.com/2018/10/04/72nd-street-subway-station-reopens-with-yoko-ono-sky-mosaic

What's funny is at 163rd street, I read somewhere that they didn't put in any benches anywhere, and there was an elderly guy that was so upset because he had a long wait for the train (what else is new with the (C) ) and he had nowhere to sit.  You can't make this stuff up.  Spend months rehabbing the station and no benches. Maybe that was done intentionally, to keep out any homeless people. Who knows.

59 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The downtown side is mostly blue plywall because the tiles aren't finished... <_<

55 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So why not keep the station closed until it's done? So retarded. They rush the work and then it looks like crap, like 110th. Rushed the station and had water running everywhere.

Ugh. I'm all for getting these projects done on time and I applaud their efforts to keep to the posted schedules they gave, but I'd much rather a little bit of schedule slippage to actually finish the project than have partial closures for weeks after in order to reach 100% completion.

They really should've finished tiling the walls and installing the proper lights before opening. I hope those lights on the 72nd Street side are temporary because they don't match the rest of the station. Also, if anyone got one of the brochures, it incorrectly states that this station has USB ports.

Anyways, here's a before and after video:

28 minutes ago, Tech And Transit said:

They really should've finished tiling the walls and installing the proper lights before opening. I hope those lights on the 72nd Street side are temporary because they don't match the rest of the station. Also, if anyone got one of the brochures, it incorrectly states that this station has USB ports.

Anyways, here's a before and after video:

What happened to the closed staircases?

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Checked it out today. The work on the IND stations is incredibly shoddy compared to what they did on 4th avenue. Tiles are already falling off the wall on the 72nd end. (The same was true at 110, and they fixed it, but still.)

Any other problems?

Just now, Art Vandelay said:

The closed staircase was previously behind a tiled wall on the upper level. It remains so, with slightly less of a seam. On the lower level, it is boarded up, much like a sizable portion of the rest of the platform. 

They are just boarded up, not tiled up?

On 10/4/2018 at 6:42 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What's funny is at 163rd street, I read somewhere that they didn't put in any benches anywhere, and there was an elderly guy that was so upset because he had a long wait for the train (what else is new with the (C) ) and he had nowhere to sit.  You can't make this stuff up.  Spend months rehabbing the station and no benches. Maybe that was done intentionally, to keep out any homeless people. Who knows.

I believe they have some standing benches from what I saw in the video of the station. 

20 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

There's normal benches at 163rd so I don't know what that guy is talking about.

This is what he is talking about. Those aren't normal benches. They're standing benches, and for someone who is elderly and needs to sit forget it. I see that they have normal benches further down the platforms but maybe they weren't installed at the time or maybe they were occupied by other people. Either way dumb concept. Just have regular benches throughout the platform.

163rd-Street-Amsterdam-Avenue.jpg

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8