Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/12/2018 at 4:11 PM, Union Tpke said:

28th might be delayed:

All times until Winter 2018-19
4 service is skipping 28 St in both directions because of station enhancements
Use nearby 6 stations along Park Av South at 33 St or 23 St. Or, use the nearby 28 St R/W station on Broadway.
Local buses are also available along Lexington Av and Madison Av. 

12/12/18 4:10 PM
NYC

Confirmed:

STATION ENHANCEMENTS
Through mid-January 2019
(6) 28 St  ( (4)  late night) Station is temporarily closed

(6) and (4)  (late night) trains skip 28 St in both directions. 
http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=ALL&date=12/20/2018&time=&method=getstatus4

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Took the (F) by there today. They are keeping the old tiles... <_<

Unfortunately, I expected that. Since it's an island station, the only way to remove and replace those tiles would be to close the station for a period in at least one direction for access. Such a reroute would impact the (E) and (M) since (F) service would have to run via 53rd Street.

1 minute ago, Lance said:

Unfortunately, I expected that. Since it's an island station, the only way to remove and replace those tiles would be to close the station for a period in at least one direction for access. Such a reroute would impact the (E) and (M) since (F) service would have to run via 53rd Street.

Funny thing is that since they took the blue plywood down, they basically were stopping there the other day. They just didn't open the door...

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Funny thing is that since they took the blue plywood down, they basically were stopping there the other day. They just didn't open the door...

They did that even when they plywood was up. Every time a downtown train I was on would come into the station it would stop and wait a few moments before proceeding.

Never did that for 23rd St.

1 hour ago, 7LineFan said:

They did that even when they plywood was up. Every time a downtown train I was on would come into the station it would stop and wait a few moments before proceeding.

Never did that for 23rd St.

I noticed them slowing down before as opposed to just literally stopping as if it was open.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I noticed them slowing down before as opposed to just literally stopping as if it was open.

They stopped for downtown ONLY because there is a punchbox for the lineup. Operators MUST punch in for the lineup to proceed out of the station. Otherwise, dispatchers wouldn't know which position the switch shld be in. The (M) goes right onto the (F) track after 57th Street.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:11 PM, Union Tpke said:

Confirmed:

STATION ENHANCEMENTS
Through mid-January 2019
(6) 28 St  ( (4)  late night) Station is temporarily closed

(6) and (4)  (late night) trains skip 28 St in both directions. 
http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=ALL&amp;date=12/20/2018&amp;time=&amp;method=getstatus4

What a surprise, another delayed project...what's the likelihood "mid-January" turns into "mid-March"

10 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What a surprise, another delayed project...what's the likelihood "mid-January" turns into "mid-March"

They actually cite a reason:

Update: The 28 St station will remain temporarily closed until mid-January 2019

During the course of the station's extensive renovation, structural deficiencies relating to steel support columns were uncovered and must be addressed. Please continue to use the travel alternatives below. We thank you for your patience.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

During the course of the station's extensive renovation, structural deficiencies relating to steel support columns were uncovered and must be addressed. Please continue to use the travel alternatives below. We thank you for your patience.

Hmm..structural deficiencies sound like they will take more than 2 extra weeks to complete.

2 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Hmm..structural deficiencies sound like they will take more than 2 extra weeks to complete.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I mean, this is the oldest line in New York City Subway we’re talking about. So, I can understand why and how it’s a problem for this particular station, structure wise.

http://dutchkillscivic.com/history/

In 1642, licenses were granted to some Dutch citizens to settle in Queens. “Kill” is a Dutch word meaning “little stream.” Since Dutch men settled around the “Kill,” (in Long Island City) the name Dutch Kills was adopted. The “Kill” (or stream) is a tributary of Newtown Creek, which divides Queens from Brooklyn.

During the Revolutionary War, British troops were billeted in a series of farmhouses on 39th Avenue (Beebe Avenue). These houses stood until 1903 when they were torn down to make way for the railroad. In the early 1900’s the Queensborough Bridge was opened. Proximity to Manhattan, presence of railroads, and Long Island all contributed to the importance of Dutch Kills.

19 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

39th Avenue will no longer be Beebe Av.

It will now be 39th Avenue-Dutch Kills.

It's way past due to remove the Beebe name - that was officially changed to 39th Ave. a hundred years ago, for God's sake! But Dutch Kills? Does anyone around there call it that? It must be a hipster thing.

1 minute ago, Italianstallion said:

It's way past due to remove the Beebe name - that was officially changed to 39th Ave. a hundred years ago, for God's sake! But Dutch Kills? Does anyone around there call it that? It must be a hipster thing.

Why? I don't know. But yeah, might be some marketing, and it does have historical roots, so it's not made-up.

2 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Why? I don't know. But yeah, might be some marketing, and it does have historical roots, so it's not made-up.

Not made up, but it's interesting that at least one of the historical maps shown on that Association's website shows Dutch Kills as being south of present-day Queens Plaza, while the Association covers an area exclusively north of QP.