Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

What stations will be next on the agenda? 

Also will Ditmars Blvd and Astoria Blvd be fixed?

How come Astoria are the only ones that have glass canopied platforms... when everyone else especially the Jamaica line got basic walls and canopies. 

2 minutes ago, VIP said:

How come Astoria are the only ones that have glass canopied platforms... when everyone else especially the Jamaica line got basic walls and canopies. 

Because Astoria was under an ESI upgrade, which is a special program funded by Cuomo, all of the other stations that are not under ESI are just going thru the normal rehabilitation like before.

38 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

What stations will be next on the agenda? 

Also will Ditmars Blvd and Astoria Blvd be fixed?

They're already working on Ditmars and Astoria Blvd. 

Ditmars won't be closed for the duration of the project. 

Astoria Blvd apparently will be closed for 9 months - not sure if that one really falls under ESI because it's actually an ADA upgrade - though, they sure are embracing the "eh just close the whole station" approach. 

The bad part of that one is, the pedestrian overpasses over that incredibly dangerous 31st/Astoria Blvd intersection are already half closed, not sure if they'll be closing in their entirety for the project. Those overpasses arguably are as important as the station itself. Pedestrians are gonna get hurt on this one. 

2 hours ago, itmaybeokay said:

Astoria Blvd apparently will be closed for 9 months - not sure if that one really falls under ESI because it's actually an ADA upgrade - though, they sure are embracing the "eh just close the whole station" approach. 

Just regular station rehabilitation, the MTA is now accepting the "close the whole station" method because renovation will be faster, such as 111th Street on the (J).

6 hours ago, Derrick Tan said:

Just regular station rehabilitation, the MTA is now accepting the "close the whole station" method because renovation will be faster, such as 111th Street on the (J).

I think the whole station closure is due to the critical conditions at 111th st. 

8 hours ago, VIP said:

Then Woodhaven Boulevard, 85th Street, 75th Street, and Cypress Hills will have to close as well...

Eventually. 

Woodhaven Boulevard should get a rehab. As for the structure on the Woodhaven Blvd part of the station the platform should widen a few feet or so on both sides, to allow for the reconstruction of the mezzanine and for elevators to be built on each side. I’m also open to the idea that Woodhaven should get new entrances to connect with the Q11/21/52+/53+. 

85th Street is in need of a rehab. 

75th Street looks like it has begun a rehab on part of its station, but was never completed, so rehab that too. 

23 hours ago, Derrick Tan said:

111 is scheduled to take 6 months, Astoria blvd is going to be closed for 9 months with the total work lasting 21 months. 

Not really sure that's better, especially considering the loss of the pedestrian overpasses. 

I really can't overstate the importance of the overpasses. This intersection has had multiple pedestrian accidents every year since at least 2009, and that was WITH the overpasses. MTA presentation indicates there will be crossing guards during work hours even, but it's actually nights I foresee as being the issue. 

On 2/3/2019 at 9:29 PM, Derrick Tan said:

Question: What is the MTA doing with the middle platform, according to this video by L Train Productions TM?

According to the sign at the end of the video on the mezzanine, it's likely related to adding elevators to Chambers Street. It seems like a side effect of that project is that Chambers is also receiving a facelift, at least to some degree. Well-needed, IMO 

3 hours ago, Enjineer said:

According to the sign at the end of the video on the mezzanine, it's likely related to adding elevators to Chambers Street. It seems like a side effect of that project is that Chambers is also receiving a facelift, at least to some degree. Well-needed, IMO 

I also heard that they are adding a pedestrian crossover so it could be that (I just hope it isn't some cage-looking structure). 

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I also heard that they are adding a pedestrian crossover so it could be that (I just hope it isn't some cage-looking structure).

Could very well be if they are working on the middle platform. Pretty much anything to make Chambers Street look nicer would be a welcome change of scenery 

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Derrick Tan said:

I remember asking this question and the 5 at Dyre to get fixed and people doubted me. Now the MTA decides to fix Dyre Ave line.