Enhanced Station Initiative

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as we like to bemoan the excessive costs for MTA-related construction projects, I cannot see the reason for most of the outrage in this case. From the modifications outlined, it looks like a lot of the additional expenses were the result of deteriorating conditions that weren't visible or apparent when the initial estimates were agreed upon. We'd all like for the expense to remain the same without any changes, that's rarely the case. Things like this pop up in any old structure. I'd much prefer they took care of this items now rather than wait until the components fail and we have to pay for another full station renovation five years from now.

That mention of the additional waterproofing however is yet again, very annoying. Water flows down in constant rain storms? Color me shocked.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BMTKateMeltonLine said:

How about rehabilitating numerous Concourse [<B> & (D)] stations @ 170th, and north of Tremont. 

those are the mustiest ones, too. I suspect there's a lot of masonry damage underneath the tiles. If the city sustains another Sandy-like incident, there's a good chance that Grand Concourse service will cease to be.

4 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

those are the mustiest ones, too. I suspect there's a lot of masonry damage underneath the tiles. If the city sustains another Sandy-like incident, there's a good chance that Grand Concourse service will cease to be.

A lot of the IND in general could use some repairs... Norwood is hell,  Lafayette is a prison, Culver after 4th-9th is rotting, 103rd has more plywood than concrete, and the upper Manhattan stations (168th and north) stink like shit.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

A lot of the IND in general could use some repairs... Norwood is hell,  Lafayette is a prison, Culver after 4th-9th is rotting, 103rd has more plywood than concrete, and the upper Manhattan stations (168th and north) stink like shit.

Same goes for Chambers Street, Bowery, East Broadway, Hunts Point Avenue, Third Avenue-138th Street, Lexington Avenue-59th St on the (N)(R) and (W) Line, Queensboro Plaza, 68th Street-Hunter College, 86th Street on the (1) Line, 14th Street-6th Avenue on the  (F)(L) and (M) Lines, Most QBL Stations and (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z) Stations as well.

5 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Lafayette Avenue will never cease to baffle me. A quaint local station with a gigantic mezzanine that would make some express stations blush. IND philosophy at its finest. I’m typically against mezzanines being shrunk or segmented, but if there was ever a station that needed it, it’s Lafayette.

20 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

and the platforms on the BMT Jamaica line rattle like an old person's bones. I have this nagging feeling that the floor is gonna fall one [c]rush hour in the not too distant future.

Maybe if the station agents didn't buzz in the trash they wouldn't smell so horrible. Right now, LA is dealing with diseases the world hasn't seen since the 13th century, and the situation in the subway will give eventual rise to a similar calamity.

20 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

and the platforms on the BMT Jamaica line rattle like an old person's bones. I have this nagging feeling that the floor is gonna fall one [c]rush hour in the not too distant future.

Maybe if the station agents didn't buzz in the trash they wouldn't smell so horrible. Right now, LA is dealing with diseases the world hasn't seen since the 13th century, and the situation in the subway will give eventual rise to a similar calamity.

Well at least it’s nothing like what is going on with the (7) line. Stuff has been falling from the structure as of late, however that line doesn’t get shut down like the (J) does to give the structure proper attention. At the same time that is also why I dislike the (J) line because it doesn’t have a proper express track in Queens and in East NY so trains can just bypass stations and if they need to do track work or structure work best believe the whole line from Jamaica Center to Crescent Street or Broadway Junction is being shut down which is a huge inconvenience.

At least now they are rehabbing a lot of the stations in Queens and they were much smarter with how they did 111th street. 

On 6/10/2019 at 1:01 AM, Cabanamaner said:

Lafayette Avenue will never cease to baffle me. A quaint local station with a gigantic mezzanine that would make some express stations blush. IND philosophy at its finest. I’m typically against mezzanines being shrunk or segmented, but if there was ever a station that needed it, it’s Lafayette.

There are some stations like Sutphin Blvd and Parsons Blvd on the (F) that retained its full mezzanines despite them being empty most of the time. 

I just hope the MTA starts opening up more station entrances especially at stations where people would potentially have to travel from one end of the platform to the other just to leave like station like at Northern Blvd (M)(R) .

On 6/10/2019 at 1:01 AM, Cabanamaner said:

Those large IND mezzanines would be perfect spaces for bike parking but no one thinks multimodally in New York apparently...

On 6/9/2019 at 8:46 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

Same goes for Chambers Street, Bowery, East Broadway, Hunts Point Avenue, Third Avenue-138th Street, Lexington Avenue-59th St on the (N)(R) and (W) Line, Queensboro Plaza, 68th Street-Hunter College, 86th Street on the (1) Line, 14th Street-6th Avenue on the  (F)(L) and (M) Lines, Most QBL Stations and (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z) Stations as well.

As well as Westchester Sq & underground stations on the (6) <6> line.

Edited by BMTKateMeltonLine

3 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Looks like those ESI station half-height emergency exit doors weren't a really great idea...

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/mta-to-overhaul-subway-exit-gates-after-installing-easy-to-hop-model/

That's why I like the High Entry Exit Turnstiles better. Fare evaders can't jump or duck over them.

5170499821_c7a72a7f79_z.jpg

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Looks like those ESI station half-height emergency exit doors weren't a really great idea...

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/mta-to-overhaul-subway-exit-gates-after-installing-easy-to-hop-model/

59 minutes ago, Derrick Tan said:

That's why I like the High Entry Exit Turnstiles better. Fare evaders can't jump or duck over them.

I agree. The new design is also very shortsighted. If I were designing these subway stations, I would go with a new turnstile design with a 7 foot tall paddle gate entry along with a 7 foot tall emergency exit door, complete with alarms (something like what San Francisco has). New dedicated ADA turnstiles would also be added specifically for wheelchairs. That could be a great design to thwart turnstile hoppers because seriously. Who is the world is going to hop over a 7 foot tall paddle door. However, I would also have clear windows separating the paid area from the unpaid area instead of the traditional “prison bar”-like fences we have now. I would like a feeling of openness and world class in this system.

1 hour ago, Derrick Tan said:

22 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I agree. The new design is also very shortsighted. If I were designing these subway stations, I would go with a new turnstile design with a 7 foot tall paddle gate entry along with a 7 foot tall emergency exit door, complete with alarms (something like what San Francisco has). New dedicated ADA turnstiles would also be added specifically for wheelchairs. That could be a great design to thwart turnstile hoppers because seriously. Who is the world is going to hop over a 7 foot tall paddle door. However, I would also have clear windows separating the paid area from the unpaid area instead of the traditional “prison bar”-like fences we have now. I would like a feeling of openness and world class in this system.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel here...

We're already using Oyster tech for OMNY so why not just use Oyster turnstiles or "fare gates"?

1280px-West_Kensington_tube_station_gate\

DisabledTicketGate.jpg

18 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

We don't need to reinvent the wheel here...

We're already using Oyster tech for OMNY so why not just use Oyster turnstiles or "fare gates"?

1280px-West_Kensington_tube_station_gate\

DisabledTicketGate.jpg

I fear that someone could potentially jump over those type of turnstiles, which is why I went with the 7 foot tall paddle gates, but then again the Oyster gates could work.

Edited by JeremiahC99