Enhanced Station Initiative

Are they keeping those hideous white/grayish tiles?  

This I'm with you on. One of the dumbest decisions of the 70s was to cover up beautiful original mosaics with those huge tiles, and I thought the MTA had recognized how stupid that was in recent years (103rd St. and the BMT Broadway stations as proof that they were removing them). Looks like Cuomo set us backwards a few decades in keeping those covers.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, is that an opening date I see?

N.png R.png 53 St is closed for renovation

All times, until 5 AM Friday, Sep 8

Trains skip 53 St in both directions.

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png
Use nearby 45 St R.png Station or 59 St N.png R.png Station.

Nearby Bus Stops for 53 St Station B37 (days/evenings)     Toward 45 St      On 3 Av at 53 St Toward 59 St      On 3 Av at 52 St and 54 St B63 Toward 45 St      On 5 Av at 52 St Toward 59 St      On 5 Av at 53 St Alternate travel note:
Consider the B11 bus (days/evenings) connecting with D.png service at the 50 St D.png Station.

Click here for details about this station modernization project.

They were putting up the canopies today, so I managed to grab some pictures.

21231572_363808734052600_600199375665173

21231190_363808607385946_211511114728331

21151631_363808980719242_991141872310649

I would have preferred a rounded glass canopy like 2nd Avenue but this isn't bad at all.

Those awful yellow tiles as you descend into the mezzanine have been replaced by a nice blue. You can see it in the last image.

They were putting up the canopies today, so I managed to grab some pictures.

21231572_363808734052600_600199375665173

21231190_363808607385946_211511114728331

21151631_363808980719242_991141872310649

I would have preferred a rounded glass canopy like 2nd Avenue but this isn't bad at all.

Those awful yellow tiles as you descend into the mezzanine have been replaced by a nice blue. You can see it in the last image.

Nice pictures, and a nice canopy, but the lack of uniformity is troublesome, in my perspective. 

While the regular green entrances aren’t stunning or modern, it’s nice that most every non-special entrance looks the same (with small, subtle, differences over the years) 

I was under the impression that after South Ferry, Hudson Yards and now 2nd Ave P1, the new “theme” was the arched/rounded glass with the familiar globe, regardless of the size or placement:

P1260050.jpg

Jan%2B26th%252C%2B2010_CB8_Final%2Bfor%2

I think that, while, it’s good to have new an improved entrances, uniformity is important, and the MTA should consider picking one “theme” and sticking with it. 

Edited by R42N

Nice pictures, and a nice canopy, but the lack of uniformity is troublesome, in my perspective. 

While the regular green entrances aren’t stunning or modern, it’s nice that most every non-special entrance looks the same (with small, subtle, differences over the years) 

I was under the impression that after South Ferry, Hudson Yards and now 2nd Ave P1, the new “theme” was the arched/rounded glass with the familiar globe, regardless of the size or placement:

P1260050.jpg

Jan%2B26th%2C%2B2010_CB8_Final%2Bfor%2Bd

I think that, while, it’s good to have new an improved entrances, uniformity is important, and the MTA should consider picking one “theme” and sticking with it.

I disagree. That look with the SAS I'd "ok", but I don't want to see that for every station. How boring and monotone. The newest look looks much better... For now...

I think the big difference between this and other rehabs is the focus on station entrances rather than platforms - the entrances look really good, especially compared to other 4th Ave local stations (45th and 77th are the ones I've been to recently). I mean, the platforms are also better (most of the 4th Ave stations are in bad condition) but the entrances are the highlight and I'm surprised the MTA didn't choose to advertise that/focus on that...

29 minutes for the next (N) in broad daylight? What’s going on?

I mean, two trains had just come and perhaps they only show the southbound departures on the west side of the street and vice-versa...

They could've at least did a power wash before opening the station.  The floor is filthy and clearly from never being washed. 

Compared to 9th Street and 45th Street, the floors look positively splendid

Can't tell if that's a lol of agreement or disagreement, but the other 4th Avenue station platforms are definitely much worse than 53rd Street. Doesn't excuse doing a bad job here, but worth noting...

Oh I know... 53rd street ranks right up there... The Bay Ridge stations are tolerable, but they could all be re-done all the way up to and including 36th street which was done not that long ago, but looks run-down as well.  It's a little ironic that some of the most depressing subway stations are located in one of the cleanest and most beautiful parts of Brooklyn (Bay Ridge that is).