Why Are Jersey Jitneys Hated?

They drive like a**holes and think they can do anything. Back when I was with Academy, I had to put so many jitney drivers in their place because they think they can just hog up the first bus stop after JSQ on the 10, or squeeze their vehicle between my bus and the sidewalk, while I'm loading up the stop or trying to block me in at every stop down the line like igaf.

They be racing trying to pick up the entire line and I'm like, if you wanna make my life easy, go right ahead. Don't get me wrong, I've met a bunch of cool drivers out there but which bunch is being represented out there??

They drive like a**holes and think they can do anything. Back when I was with Academy, I had to put so many jitney drivers in their place because they think they can just hog up the first bus stop after JSQ on the 10, or squeeze their vehicle between my bus and the sidewalk, while I'm loading up the stop or trying to block me in at every stop down the line like igaf.

Yep, and quite sure you know they pull the same @ the Camelot (other end of the route) as well.... Last I was out there about a month or so ago, there were 3 buses about 10 mins. apart from each other that all went on layover at the first pickup stop of the #10/#119.... The driver of the 2nd jitney I saw, literally opened his doors to tell me I should "get on", or "you gonna be standing there"...

Although he was right about the wait (~45 mins), I still waited for the #119....

I've taken the NY-Paterson jitneys a decent amount of times (both the ones out of the PABT & GWB terminal) and never really had any issues. They drive a little fast and sometimes take shortcuts, but I'd generally say they're safe and a good, quick alternative to the NJT routes on the corridors they serve.

I've taken the NY-Paterson jitneys a decent amount of times (both the ones out of the PABT & GWB terminal) and never really had any issues. They drive a little fast and sometimes take shortcuts, but I'd generally say they're safe and a good, quick alternative to the NJT routes on the corridors they serve.

I agree some of them are worth taking

Those Jersey Jitneys just stand there, collect a fare and the drivers don't care!!!

THOSE JITNEYS STINK, ARE NOT REGULATED AND THOSE DRIVERS ARE ABSOLUTE IDIOTS AND DON'T CARE ABOUT NOTHING!!

THEY MAY BE CHEAPER, BUT THEY ARE NOT SAFER; IN FACT THEY ARE REALLY DANGEROUS PLUS THEY CAUSE CONGESTION, POLLUTION AND FRUSTRATION!!!

didn't a jitney kill a kid and fled the scene a few years ago?

Yes. I have no problem with people trying to make an honest dollar, but also I'm not trying to have someone else toy with my own life while making said money. If NJT were to not screw around with service cuts, and hikes, maybe the jitneys wouldn't even exist. Imagine if those same jitneys tried to serve the Greater Newark area? It be straight chaos, that's why they don't try it.

• 3 weeks later...

THOSE JERSEY JITNEY DRIVERS ARE ABSOLUTELY STUPID, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT NOTHING AND WHEN THEY KILL AN INNOCENT BYSTANDER GUESS WHAT?  THEY DO NOT CARE!!!  The bottom line is a Jersey Jitney is an unlicensed, unregulated BIG TAXI that smells like trash, is uncomfortable, causes traffic congestion by stopping excessively, causing pollution, has unreliable air conditioning, a driver who is absolutely reckless, stops everywhere holding up traffic, sits at bus stops beckoning for customers, etc.  YOU DON'T WANNA RIDE THOSE JERSEY JITNEYS, there are good things for those who wait, if you wait for an NJT bus, you'd be so much better off.

Edited by Juan833Blue

• 3 months later...

They don't have insurance

They don't have a license

They don't have a schedule

They don't have regulation

They don't cooperate

THEY DON'T CARE!!!

BOTTOM LINE IS DON'T RIDE THE JITNEYS, THE DRIVERS OF THOSE VANS SMELL JUST AS BAD AS THE VEHICLE ITSELF!!!

Edited by Juan833Blue

If the 171 ran more often, the GWB - Paterson jitney route wouldn't be as popular. 40-minute headways on the 171 makes the jitneys the obvious choice.

I took the 171 for nearly 4 years and only rode the jitneys when I had to deviate from my normal schedule. One ride on a jitney always stuck with me. I had to leave work early and was forced to take the jitney because I needed to make a dentist appointment (first root-canal). While riding, I got so worked up thinking about the procedure, that I neglected to put my wallet back in my pocket after I paid the driver. I noticed that my wallet wasn't in my pocket and went back to check the seat. The jerk, I mean driver, wouldn't give me 30 seconds to check the seat to figure out where it was. No wallet meant no metro, which meant no subway. No wallet also meant no Metro North, which in turn also meant I couldn't get home or to the dentist appointment.

Luckily, I purchased my NJT ticket on my phone and Google Wallet had my card info saved, but the only TVM's that accepted NFC were in GCT. So I had to ride back into Jersey, take another bus into the Port and purchase my Metro North ticket via Google Wallet at GCT. All due to the driver not willing to let me look. I'm all but certain that the wallet hit the ground en-route and slid to the back of the bus.

Never again.

THOSE JERSEY JITNEY DRIVERS ARE ABSOLUTELY STUPID, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT NOTHING AND WHEN THEY KILL AN INNOCENT BYSTANDER GUESS WHAT?  THEY DO NOT CARE!!!  The bottom line is a Jersey Jitney is an unlicensed, unregulated BIG TAXI that smells like trash, is uncomfortable, causes traffic congestion by stopping excessively, causing pollution, has unreliable air conditioning, a driver who is absolutely reckless, stops everywhere holding up traffic, sits at bus stops beckoning for customers, etc.  YOU DON'T WANNA RIDE THOSE JERSEY JITNEYS, there are good things for those who wait, if you wait for an NJT bus, you'd be so much better off.

Good things come to those who wait...except people have places to be (work, school, etc) and don't have all day to wait for an NJT bus. I've had to work along Route 4 and when faced between having to take the #171 or the jitneys, I chose the jitneys every time.

Good things come to those who wait...except people have places to be (work, school, etc) and don't have all day to wait for an NJT bus. I've had to work along Route 4 and when faced between having to take the #171 or the jitneys, I chose the jitneys every time.

NJT Needs To Run The #171 Alot More Frequent Every 10 Min Or So If That Happens The Jitneys Might Lose Most Of It's Ridership Edited by A Former New Yorker

NJT Needs To Run The #171 Alot More Frequent Every 10 Min Or So If That Happens The Jitneys Might Lose Most Of It's Ridership

Right, but that costs money to run 4-6 times more service than is presently run (the #171 runs every 40-60 minutes IIRC). If the jitneys provide adequate transit service along that corridor, why should NJT bother?

The only perspective where I can see it being an issue of "fairness" would be for somebody holding a monthly pass (say, somebody who takes another bus to Downtown Paterson to transfer to the Garden State Plaza, where they have to choose between waiting for the infrequent NJT bus or paying extra to take the jitney.

Right, but that costs money to run 4-6 times more service than is presently run (the #171 runs every 40-60 minutes IIRC). If the jitneys provide adequate transit service along that corridor, why should NJT bother?

The only perspective where I can see it being an issue of "fairness" would be for somebody holding a monthly pass (say, somebody who takes another bus to Downtown Paterson to transfer to the Garden State Plaza, where they have to choose between waiting for the infrequent NJT bus or paying extra to take the jitney.

Maybe NJT Should Remove The #171 If The Jitneys Are Doing A Better Job

Maybe NJT Should Remove The #171 If The Jitneys Are Doing A Better Job

I mean, you got the section in Fair Lawn (the jitneys just run straight across Route 4) and it's not like the #171 has particularly low ridership. Some people do prefer the bus, or may find it cheaper than the jitneys if they need to transfer or have a monthly pass so I do think some service should run (also, the #171 runs a little later. I think the jitneys only run until around midnight, whereas the #171 has one final run at 1:15AM).

I mean, you got the section in Fair Lawn (the jitneys just run straight across Route 4) and it's not like the #171 has particularly low ridership. Some people do prefer the bus, or may find it cheaper than the jitneys if they need to transfer or have a monthly pass so I do think some service should run (also, the #171 runs a little later. I think the jitneys only run until around midnight, whereas the #171 has one final run at 1:15AM).

Well Then What Should NJT Do With The #171