Why Are Jersey Jitneys Hated?

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/1/2017 at 10:38 AM, Phil Plotch said:

Another reason why jitneys are hated:  Some people think that jitneys exacerbate traffic conditions.  They don't understand that jitneys take cars off the road.

I Understand That Some People Rather Take The Jitneys That The NJT Buses Or Drive But IMO The Jitneys Are Really Sketchy Especially With There Business Pratices (Bergenline and PABT-Paterson Lines Do That Alot Supposedly) Yes Buses Do Put Less Cars On The Streets But The Fact Is That Most If Not All  Jitneys Are Unregulated,Poorly Maintained and Clog Up Traffic Especially In Union City and Break Many Traffic Laws. Every Time I Ride The #108 To New York And Back There Every Time A Jitney Is In Front Stopping Near The Corner Or Bus Stop Picking Up As Many Passengers It Can. Blocking Off Traffic At 30nd/31st St. The Only Good Thing About The Jitney Is That They Provide Decent Competition With The NJT Routes. Maybe If They Get Regulated Or NJT Increase The Frequency On The Routes That The Jitney Compete With The Jitney Wouldn't Would Have A Bad Reputation As They Have Now

At this point, I would endorse regulation.

Also of they stink so bad as people say they do, how come I don't see people complaining about the odors coming from the Greater Newark buses??????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I rode a Bergenline bus from Newport Mall to Journal Square Wednesday and the ride was not that bad. The seats were clean and well maintained and the driver was talking to what I assume was a passenger that takes the jitneys regularly IDK If that illegally or not but they do that on NJT Buses. It was a surprisingly nice ride. 

• 3 weeks later...

NJT used to run a lot more service on the 171 until the Jitneys started running, I believe some time in the 80s.  It used to run every 20 mins on Saturdays.  I believe this is one instance where a private enterprise, although shaky, just ran a better business model than NJT by running smaller vans more frequently and less expensive along Route 4.  I agree with many of the comments that they drive like maniacs, aren't necessarily well maintained.  It would be great if they could get some new and safer equipment and perhaps even coordinate with NJT in that regard since there is an obvious market for this kind of service.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 8:51 PM, njbus86 said:

NJT used to run a lot more service on the 171 until the Jitneys started running, I believe some time in the 80s.  It used to run every 20 mins on Saturdays.  I believe this is one instance where a private enterprise, although shaky, just ran a better business model than NJT by running smaller vans more frequently and less expensive along Route 4.  I agree with many of the comments that they drive like maniacs, aren't necessarily well maintained.  It would be great if they could get some new and safer equipment and perhaps even coordinate with NJT in that regard since there is an obvious market for this kind of service.  

Well said but how was service during rush hour and weekedays back then

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, njbus86 said:

Sorry for the long time in responding.  NJT used to run the 171 every 10 mins I believe at rush hour.  It was the Maplewood/Intercity Route 40 before NJT took over.  I have an old timetable from 1981 posted here:

http://njbus.blogspot.com/2012/12/maplewood-equipment-route-40-1981-this.html

It was actualy every 15-20 min 

• 1 year later...

Now it's getting even more interesting... NJ Transit one zone fare is $1.60, the Jitney bus base fare on Bergenline av is now $1.75, NOT $1.50.  Jersey Jitneys can Save your life but NJ Transit can save you $$$.  For 15 cents less you ride a one zone trip on NJ Transit.   Stay away from the Jitney bus, they smell, cause pollution,  Reckless drivers that don't care about safety and are extremely dangerous. 

Edited by Juan833Blue

16 hours ago, Juan833Blue said:

Now it's getting even more interesting... NJ Transit one zone fare is $1.60, the Jitney bus base fare on Bergenline av is now $1.75, NOT $1.50.  Jersey Jitneys can Save your life but NJ Transit can save you $$$.  For 15 cents less you ride a one zone trip on NJ Transit.....

....Stay away from the Jitney bus, they smell, cause pollution,  Reckless drivers that don't care about safety and are extremely dangerous. 

Conflictory.

How can the jitneys save my life if they're reckless drivers that don't care about safety?

On 8/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, Juan833Blue said:

They are extremely unsafe and those Jitney buses are in the absolute worst condition possible

Yes most of Bergenline Ave Jitneys are total junk tards. How many jitney bus companies are operating on that Avenue? At least most of  "Express" dollar buses have better turtletop buses than the Bergenline jitneys.

Off topic here regards to condition. Why in the hell does NJ Transit bus maintenance leave the back of their buses covered in black sut? Market St garage has a bunch of Nabis and some MCIs covered in that dirty crap. Some of their Suburbans are purposely covered disgracefully in that nasty sh*t. Enough for maintenance sarcastically to write, "Wash Me". I see CUSA "Community" buses here in Passaic County and Bergen County looking decent to sharp from outside because they take their washes seriously. Compared that to some of NJ Transit's Northern Bus garages is laughable 

• 4 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, Ron2themax said:

Yes most of Bergenline Ave Jitneys are total junk tards. How many jitney bus companies are operating on that Avenue? At least most of  "Express" dollar buses have better turtletop buses than the Bergenline jitneys.

Off topic here regards to condition. Why in the hell does NJ Transit bus maintenance leave the back of their buses covered in black sut? Market St garage has a bunch of Nabis and some MCIs covered in that dirty crap. Some of their Suburbans are purposely covered disgracefully in that nasty sh*t. Enough for maintenance sarcastically to write, "Wash Me". I see CUSA "Community" buses here in Passaic County and Bergen County looking decent to sharp from outside because they take their washes seriously. Compared that to some of NJ Transit's Northern Bus garages is laughable 

#22 Hillside Academy in Hoboken keeps the NABI Buses in great condition by washing them frequently, it's too bad those Jersey Jitneys are dirty and smelly not to mention uncomfortable. 

• 1 year later...

Those Gypsy buses are frustrating me!!!  Why are people on Bergenline Avenue ALWAYS taking them when they can get a better value on an NJT Bus That is cleaner, safer and air conditioned, I just don't get it and I HATE those Jersey Jitney Drivers that drive recklessly on Bergenline Ave every day, this must be annoying!!!