Transit Management Analyst Trainee - Exam #7606

Jersey Loop

On 1/24/2019 at 11:24 PM, Alucard said:

At the employment center yesterday there were about 50 or so individuals called from this list, process ranged in time for some [those who were already mta employed, and those not] but it lasted about 8 hours, going from station to station. Seems everyone there went for "final processing" but honestly it didn't seem like anything final, just procedural. Individuals were called to interview in supposed list order, but not sure what the final results of anything were. Whether individuals were hired, or told they'll contact you or something different. Maybe some on the board were there as well.

Odd things:

They asked for quite a few documents to be brought in, but never asked for them.

The letter to come to the location arrived a day prior to actually having to go in [can only guess this made some miss the letter/date & not show up] Tight scheduling

And yes, mention of a hiring freeze. Got the feeling the 50 were there for a small handful on openings, if any. All in all a strange experience for sure. 

Do you remember how many days of difference there were between the date the letter was sent and the date you actually got the letter? The reason I'm asking this because I'm hoping to get called for the second batch interview. It seemed strange to me that they called the first batch after the expiration of the certification list. 

Besides, can you shed some light on the activities at the employment center? Was it paperwork only or did you go through interview as well? If yes,was it a panel interview? 

I would like to thank all the people who contributed to this thread. It's hard to find info on MTA hiring process let alone find info on a particular exam. This is a great example of community blogging. Keep up the good work people. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BronxRider...

The letter was dated 1/18, it was mailed [from Brooklyn] and arrived after the MLK holiday on 1/22, requesting people show up on 1/23. If you sense that that was very tight timing, I can only imagine some missed the date entirely due to mail being delayed or just not checking their mail with that sense of urgency. Very poor protocol in my opinion there on TA's part.

Certainly the first batch was called, but there were no hires [per someone at TA employment] the list was sent back to dcas and there was a subsequent new certification that didn't include anyone one the first certification, so essentially the new certification begins with around eligible rank #60. Again very strange, as the people who were in 1-59 are no longer on an outstanding certification. How that makes sense I can't figure out, the higher scoring individuals aren't at this time seemingly eligible for appointment. 

In regards to the employment center, expect to wait [if you are in TA already you will get expedited it seems & be out of there much faster, but 5-8 hours seems average] You will enter into there as go through "final processing" which is quite a misnomer, as nothing is final, and you might interview but the letter you get will explicitly state that by the time you are to interview, positions may already have been filled by individuals in front of you. So if you're say 1-10 on the next called group [the will interview in rank order] you might get a shot. But, it would honestly appear that, there is an explicit hiring freeze & any and all hiring for this title/position must get approved, so you're interviewing for a position that might be fictional. Honestly there is not too much paper work, you maybe sign a couple of forms, they collect your letter, you wait to get called for an interview which may be panel, 2 or 3 people, and it's going to run like a mill. They will interview,, and tell you there is a hiring freeze and there is no true position. Now this was the story for the first group, your experience might differ. 

Until the hiring freeze ends, I would not expect much to happen on this title. It likely deemed non critical to operations & seeing the financial perils they are in it might just be another cost saving measure. If you do get a letter certainly will be informational to let the board know. Good Luck.

The Department of Citywide Administrative Services has certified sections of the eligible lists below for appointments and promotions in city agencies, subject to the 1-in-3 rule. Some of the appointments and promotions may already have been made.

TRANSIT MANAGEMENT ANALYST TRAINEE—252 eligibles between Nos. 11.5 and 298 on List 7606 to replace 14 provisionals at NYC Transit.

1 hour ago, Pathway said:

The Department of Citywide Administrative Services has certified sections of the eligible lists below for appointments and promotions in city agencies, subject to the 1-in-3 rule. Some of the appointments and promotions may already have been made.

TRANSIT MANAGEMENT ANALYST TRAINEE—252 eligibles between Nos. 11.5 and 298 on List 7606 to replace 14 provisionals at NYC Transit.

Pathway, just curious what is the source that provided that info you stated above(looks like a copy and paste)? [As that 14 ties into the certification list # stated of number of vacancies] 

Also to be exact, the actual eligibles for DCAS current certification #69446 that expires on 3/15, are #s 11.5, 28.5, and #s 60-298, the block from #1-59 [except 11.5 & 28.5] are not on the current outstanding certification.

I'd be curious if this occurs normally, it just seems odd that the block that had the lower ranked listings are not eligible, while those higher are. Just seems odd, especially considering there we no fills from the initial lower ranked group.

4 hours ago, Alucard said:

BronxRider...

The letter was dated 1/18, it was mailed [from Brooklyn] and arrived after the MLK holiday on 1/22, requesting people show up on 1/23. If you sense that that was very tight timing, I can only imagine some missed the date entirely due to mail being delayed or just not checking their mail with that sense of urgency. Very poor protocol in my opinion there on TA's part.

Certainly the first batch was called, but there were no hires [per someone at TA employment] the list was sent back to dcas and there was a subsequent new certification that didn't include anyone one the first certification, so essentially the new certification begins with around eligible rank #60. Again very strange, as the people who were in 1-59 are no longer on an outstanding certification. How that makes sense I can't figure out, the higher scoring individuals aren't at this time seemingly eligible for appointment. 

In regards to the employment center, expect to wait [if you are in TA already you will get expedited it seems & be out of there much faster, but 5-8 hours seems average] You will enter into there as go through "final processing" which is quite a misnomer, as nothing is final, and you might interview but the letter you get will explicitly state that by the time you are to interview, positions may already have been filled by individuals in front of you. So if you're say 1-10 on the next called group [the will interview in rank order] you might get a shot. But, it would honestly appear that, there is an explicit hiring freeze & any and all hiring for this title/position must get approved, so you're interviewing for a position that might be fictional. Honestly there is not too much paper work, you maybe sign a couple of forms, they collect your letter, you wait to get called for an interview which may be panel, 2 or 3 people, and it's going to run like a mill. They will interview,, and tell you there is a hiring freeze and there is no true position. Now this was the story for the first group, your experience might differ. 

Until the hiring freeze ends, I would not expect much to happen on this title. It likely deemed non critical to operations & seeing the financial perils they are in it might just be another cost saving measure. If you do get a letter certainly will be informational to let the board know. Good Luck.

Alucard, Thank you for the thorough response. I can understand why so many people eventually give up on mta or city jobs. I guess at this point we don't have any choices other than waiting. 

I'll certainly  post here if I get the letter and share my experience. 

On 3/4/2019 at 11:17 PM, Alucard said:

Pathway, just curious what is the source that provided that info you stated above(looks like a copy and paste)? [As that 14 ties into the certification list # stated of number of vacancies] 

Also to be exact, the actual eligibles for DCAS current certification #69446 that expires on 3/15, are #s 11.5, 28.5, and #s 60-298, the block from #1-59 [except 11.5 & 28.5] are not on the current outstanding certification.

I'd be curious if this occurs normally, it just seems odd that the block that had the lower ranked listings are not eligible, while those higher are. Just seems odd, especially considering there we no fills from the initial lower ranked group.

I saw that from The Chief newspaper.

On NYC open data, 3 new certification lists have been added with some variation. Here is the summary of new lists:

Cert Issue No.   List  starts @           List ends @         Cert Date         Cert Expiration Date     No. Certified      No. Requested      Provisional Replacement      No Vacancies      Salary

69658                    28.5                          468                       3/5/19                 4/4/19                             92                      100                             N                                          100                      49055

69659                  152                            462                        3/5/19                4/4/19                              9                         100                            N                                          100                      46225

69660                  66                              449                        3/5/19                4/4/19                             54                        100                           Y                                            100                      46225

Some from the second certification list (69446)  are absent in the new lists. I really don't know what to interpret from these new lists. I hope +Young+ or Alucard can provide some insight regarding this issue.

Did anyone get the letter for the 2nd batch interview?

Edited by +Young+
Shortened post...

8 hours ago, BronxRider said:

Some from the second certification list (69446)  are absent in the new lists.

Well this certification [in 3 batches] went and made 155 individuals onto a new outstanding certification list, along with the other 252 on the previous [this one however will expire in a week] Can't say that we can read too much into the list since it's become essentially an inactive list, meaning it's not moving. I think some of it is TA HR having to process something on a certain time basis to/from dcas. But these certifications have shown no continuity. The pieces of data are usually erroneous at times [ie on the 659/660 certifications, the salary data is from the NOE, vs the current] The number of openings states 100, but that's just a number, it would constitute 20% of the whole list and that doesn't seem likely. 

Until someone actually gets appointed from this list [who is a non TA individual, as they could just slide over on title if they are already in there] then this list of eligible individuals seems to be going nowhere. Least that's how I see it. Unless they hire, the list will not move. The certifications does allow them to call individuals in, but if there's no job the whole thing ends up just being keep busy work for the employment center.

As to why some got left off, no clue, These 3 certifications seems very random in picking by list number, it skips all over the place. What I do know is when batches get called in the true order does get recognized, so you can take a batch of all groups and rankings, but when you get in they will sort all by list/rank order for processing and interviews, so there is a bit of an equalizer there.

I suggest if you want more actual details on this list to call the employment center [347-643-7413] & ask for the individual that is working or responsible for this particular list/title. they perhaps can shed some light on if there is any true momentum outside of the data lists. the young lady there, I didn't get her name but she was forthright with information & about the process, just ask. Might be a a task tho to get to her, the first person that picks up will have to have some knowledge or experience, if not ask them to ask someone who the individual is that handles the TMAs lists.

9 hours ago, BronxRider said:

Did anyone get the letter for the 2nd batch interview?

Honestly, this might have never occurred. Even though that 2nd certification existed, it very well could be that nothing progressive happened past it. Hiring freeze definitely a major hindrance. 

6 hours ago, Alucard said:

Honestly, this might have never occurred. Even though that 2nd certification existed, it very well could be that nothing progressive happened past it. Hiring freeze definitely a major hindrance. 

This seems to be the only plausible explanation at this point. I couldn't get any further information from the employment center.

I heard about the hiring freeze too from a NYCT employee. But isn't there a state law that requires state/city agencies to replace provisional workers once a list for a position has been established? Now I have no idea about the required time frame mandated by the law. And a hiring freeze will indeed hinder the hiring of new nonessential employees. But IMO if that law does exist, MTA is bound to replace the provisional employees off the list at some point in future. 

3 hours ago, BronxRider said:

But isn't there a state law that requires state/city agencies to replace provisional workers once a list for a position has been established?

This sounds accurate, however with these exams being administered once a decade it seems to run a bit different than most other lists. I would think that there were people working at TA who were provisional, say interns or college aides/students, that were given the provisional tittle contingent on passing or getting onto the eligible list. So I am sure some of the provisional individuals took this exam, and as I said they likely can slide into title. It was odd during the initial call in that there were individuals who were with TA as Associate Level TMAs and were there for this trainee list. I didn't know what to make of that, whether they took in as a requirement to be "in title" or what. 

The more you read on the state of TA and the chaos that seems to be brewing over control/revenues/fares etc the more murky hiring becomes in a cost conscious environment. Not filling anyone from this list is a roughly $23M cost savings at its base, much less employee benefit costs etc. The hiring freeze has been mentioned since August 2018 in some publications, and there really doesn't really seem to be any relenting as of yet. They also have the capacity to wait and establish the higher level TMA lists & take from there instead. Initially it was nice to see this list get established, but the more time that erodes, it would probably have been better suited had the list not been established until the hiring freeze thawed a bit. Maybe by November [one year into the list establishment] it will be a bit clearer as to how it's going. 

• Harry featured this topic

It would appear that on DCAS Open Data the last sets of outstanding certification expired on 4/4 and no new one has been established. It very well could be that due to all current restraints [financial turmoil, hiring freezes, overtime issues at TA being brought to light] that this list might just not go anywhere for a good while [if ever at all] For the list, there is no more outstanding certifications, so it's truly at a standstill. Have to wonder if there have been in the past established eligible lists that never filled and just went to expiry.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-transit-union-finances-cbc-20190430-z6hj2qm33bagllcdc6jhdiqqfq-story.html

https://cbcny.org/research/reform-bargaining-table

This was quite interesting https://nypost.com/2019/04/20/sanitation-department-to-trash-supervisors-exam-because-of-suspected-cheating/

Guess the way most of these exams are administered, some set of individuals always have a first look at what's to come.

Edited by Alucard

• 2 months later...

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-mta-reorganization-plan-foye-release-20190712-m3o7klkvw5gytmkaqb4uit7qxy-story.html

MTA officials have a plan to reorganize the agency that they hope will work better than its trains and buses now run. They plan to cut hundreds of jobs, hire a few new high-ranking managers and take away NYC Transit President Andy Byford’s control of major subway construction projects. The broad strokes of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s state-mandated reorganization plan were detailed in a 19-page summary released Friday. The full plan will be made public later this month.

The proposals, which were put together in partnership with consulting firm AlixPartners, must be approved by the agency’s board at its next meeting July 24. The plan backed off from a prior proposal to strip Byford of his control over bus service, but does include a measure to consolidate the MTA’s three separate bus companies. Byford and the agency’s other division leaders will lose control of construction projects in order to have a “singular focus on safety, operations and maintenance,” according to the summary. All of those bosses will report to a new chief operating officer. That means Byford, a career railwayman who received accolades for his previous work as head of the Toronto Transit Commission, would not oversee the nuts and bolts of his “Fast Forward” plan to rapidly modernize New York City’s transit systems. Byford will still be tasked with maintaining the subway’s crumbling infrastructure, including keeping up recent efforts to clear clogged drains, deep clean stations and fix faulty signals.

The most significant job cuts proposed in the plan are within the MTA’s redundant administrative offices. Officials plan to consolidate the agency’s seven human resource departments, seven legal offices and seven finance divisions. Many engineers will also get pink slips. The plan proposes shrinking the agency’s seven engineering offices into one, and adding a new “chief engineering officer” to lead it. It is not clear exactly how many people would be fired under the plan. A high ranking MTA official said the measures would save “hundreds of millions" of dollars.

MTA Chairman Pat Foye said the reorganization is the beginning of a “new, modern MTA.” “This transformation will allow us to finally give our customers the system they deserve, and prepares us to execute on what is likely to be the biggest capital plan in MTA history,” said Foye. Some of the shakeup hinges on collective bargaining with transit unions. Transport Workers Union Local 100′s 41,000 members, who work on the city’s buses and subways, have been without a contract since May.

It’s also unclear who will complete intensive subway drain maintenance work moving forward. Roughly three-quarters of the work to clear 10,000 clogged drains under Gov. Cuomo’s Subway Action Plan was done by outside contractors — Local 100 officials have previously said they want that work moving forward.

The MTA will also have to negotiate with labor leaders to consolidate its three bus companies, which employ bus operators represented by four different unions. Cuomo said the reorganization plan is “conceptually right and has been recommended by various consultants and administrations over the years.” The governor added that his office will check in on the progress of the plan in six months. Riders Alliance spokesman Danny Pearlstein said it’s more important than ever for Cuomo to be held accountable for the MTA. “Now the governor and his top managers must detail how they will overhaul the core infrastructure that millions of us depend on every single day,” Pearlstein said. Some transit leaders were unimpressed with the plan. One MTA board member said the proposals were “unremarkable.” “It’s exactly the type of things that I thought they would do,” said the board member. “It’s a common sense document.”

>>

Seems like this exam/list might be getting the last few nails in the coffin, with all the likely moving parts & people to come with this re-org, these exam positions likely will not get opened. With elimination & consolidation, the need for these jobs in large groups might be a thing of the past. Perhaps the dividing line will be those who have selected service experience areas in segments of need. 

MTA says it will cut up to 2,700 jobs as part of reorganization

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-reorganization-job-cuts-mta-20190717-j7jph2qxmnhf3ohsri3beljkdm-story.html

Transit officials said Wednesday that they plan to slash between 1,900 and 2,700 jobs, or up to 4% of the MTA;s workforce, to save as much as $500 million annually over the next three years under the agency’s reorganization.

MTA officials said they plan to reduce headcount at first by allowing people in administrative positions to retire or leave the agency. Pink slips would flow if not enough workers opt out. Other proposed cost-saving measures include changing the way construction is managed, officials said.

The full 37-page plan, which was made public on Wednesday after the Metropolitan Transportation Authority released a summary last Friday, proposes consolidating dozens of administrative offices at MTA headquarters, like its seven legal departments, seven human resource offices and seven finance divisions, accounting for the bulk of the cuts.

The agency desperately needs the money that would be saved. MTA budget experts said earlier this year that it could find itself in a $1 billion hole by 2022.

MTA chairman Pat Foye said the reorganization will allow the agency to “deliver better service, complete projects on time and on budget and use its resources effectively and efficiently.”

MTA officials have not determined if they will fire any front-line transit workers, the bulk of whom are represented by Transport Workers Union Local 100 and have been without a contract since May 15.

Officials said cuts to those jobs, like station cleaners, track workers and signal maintainers, will depend on whether or not Local 100 officials agree to integrate and expand techniques used by outside contractors that would make MTA workers more efficient.

Train operators, train conductors and bus operators did not appear to be on the chopping block, according to the reorganization plan.

“They’re smoking crack if they think they’re going to take our work,” said TWU International President John Samuelsen. “We’re in a good situation for negotiating. We own the exclusivity of the maintenance and operation of the subway system."

MTA board members are scheduled to vote on the reorganization plan during their meeting next week, but agency officials said they will not be able to propose amendments to the reorganization strategy.

“The public has a week to figure out what 37 pages mean for a $17 billion agency,” said Rachael Fauss, an analyst at good government group Reinvent Albany. “This is not a sustained and robust public engagement process that we have all been asking for.”

The reorganization plan will take more than two years to implement, which did not sit well with Gov. Cuomo, who pushed through legislation earlier this year requiring the MTA to restructure.

“I’m not satisfied with the preliminary report,” Cuomo said Wednesday. “To have no performance measures or goals or dates is a fatal flaw, especially at the MTA, where they never meet a deadline or date.”

Cuomo also said the reorganization is a good opportunity to address the homelessness problem on the subway, but noted the plan did not include any reference to the issue.

Some deadlines are included in the reorganization report, which was written by consulting firm AlixPartners.

The MTA will begin laying off workers in December, according to the reorganization plan, and the cuts could last through the end of 2020.

The agency will also hire a handful of new executives over the next eight months, including a chief operating officer, a head of engineering and a head of accessibility.

“Within the next six months, they should be able to make marked progress,” said Cuomo. “Strip away all the press and all your theories and innuendo and drama, the trains run or the trains don’t run. They’re on time or they’re not on time.”

<<>>

Got to wonder if these established lists, will be eliminated with this attempt at $500M savings, by not filling it's a quick $25M or so saved per year. For sure it's not looking positive. Most of these positions would have been administrative types, and that's where the big gutting seems to be going towards. Tough/er times ahead for the TA,.

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

Now that the MTA has an approved Capital Plan, I have noticed that there was a certification with 12 vacanies on 10/18/19.

In need of answers.... Because I was called to a pool back in January 2019, was interviewed once, given a CPD package to complete for if I am called back.  I never received any additional communication regarding this position.  I called the DCAS exam status line and was told I am no longer on the list.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, kidson said:

Hello All,

Now that the MTA has an approved Capital Plan, I have noticed that there was a certification with 12 vacanies on 10/18/19.

In need of answers.... Because I was called to a pool back in January 2019, was interviewed once, given a CPD package to complete for if I am called back.  I never received any additional communication regarding this position.  I called the DCAS exam status line and was told I am no longer on the list.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

One of the things you can do is call DCAS during normal business hours (212-669-1357, Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM) and try to speak to someone as far as why your name was removed from the list. Keep in mind that, as per the rules and regulations of the City of New York, when it comes to these civil service lists, you are able to restore your name back to the list for a maximum of three [3] times. Therefore, you might want to use that to your advantage.

Good luck!!

On 10/30/2019 at 6:45 AM, kidson said:

Hello All,

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Hard to think it's been close to a year since this list established. But thanks for spotting the new certification that occurred. It would appear, this certification [thus far the 4th, will be active from 10/21 to 11/22] It only included candidates ranked in the following range, 11.5, 28.5, 30.5, 34 then 60 through 115, roughly 62 ranked candidates are on this certification. So it would appear those that had better scores are not on this certification, how to explain that is a mystery. You would think the list fills from the lower/best scores/ranks first, but by this certification most who did well are not certified, and that's the best explanation. If you read the thread, this has occurred before [but those lists were never called to pools, it was purely just listed and expires] When you call DCAS, since you likely aren't in the current certified grouping #s, it will tell you you are not on the list. But it's really stating you are not in the current certified list of 62 individuals. 

How they are choosing their groupings is anyone's guess. It was my belief that these lists certified from the best scores/ranks first, but in the initial pool calling back in January they called the best scoring individuals [1-59, I think] and they didn't fill from them, so I suppose you can say they are onto the "next group" The other 2 certifications, were never called, they just expired. Once you are not on a certified list, I would not expect to be called in should vacancies exists & they decide to do interviews.

Bizarre how they are doing things, the list if used this way will fill using worst scoring candidates rather than the ones who scored higher. At this point, it's been a year since this exam released an eligible list and nothing has occurred. In regard to the January pools that were hiring for their exams division, those positions never were opened up, so that pool went down the drain by the freeze & constraints. Will be interesting if they fill this list and don't start with the best scoring candidates.

• 2 weeks later...

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
MTA to hire French Canadian businessman to reorganize struggling system, including job cuts
NOV 13, 2019 | 7:18 PM

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Wednesday announced that Montreal-based business executive Anthony McCord will be hired to oversee a major shake-up that’s expected to include thousands of job reductions.

McCord’s official title will be “Chief Transformation Officer,” a position approved by the MTA board in July as a part of a larger reorganization plan mandated by Gov. Cuomo and the Legislature. McCord, a francophone, will be tasked with consolidating the MTA’s redundant administrative offices like the agency’s seven human resource departments, seven legal offices, seven finance divisions. He’ll also work to centralize the MTA’s various engineering departments, a move that transit officials believe will help them better execute the agency’s $51.5 billion capital plan.

Part of McCord’s work will be to reduce jobs — possibly as many as 2,700. According to MTA consulting firm AlixPartners, the reductions could save the agency up to $530 million a year.

McCord will start in mid-December. In July, the MTA had said it would likely begin headcount reductions in December as part of a plan put together by AlixPartners and approved by the MTA board. On Wednesday, an agency spokeswoman said that timeline has since changed and no reductions are planned for next month. It’s unclear how long McCord will stay at the agency. AlixPartners managing director Foster Finley said at the July board meeting that the Chief Transformation Officer was meant to be an “ephemeral role.” The new executive will report to the MTA board, who must approve his hire at a meeting on Thursday. He’ll make a hefty salary of $325,000 per year.

McCord said in a statement that he looks forward to “getting to work so that we can focus on delivering improved service for our 2.5 billion annual riders." The Canadian consolidator has held high level roles at private utility company Veolia and engineering firm Bouygues Energies & Services.
He’s one of several big hires the MTA is planning this fall. The agency also looks to fill several new executive positions like Chief Operating Officer, Chief Technology Officer and Chief Accessibility Officer.

A shake-up at the MTA has been in the works since at least the start of the year when Cuomo said he intended to “blow up the MTA.” When the governor and state lawmakers in April passed congestion pricing — which will toll cars in Manhattan and will help fund the MTA’s capital plan — the legislation also came with a requirement that the agency complete an audit and produce a reorganization plan. Cuomo in July said the reorganization plan is “conceptually right” and that his office would check in on its progress in January.

On 11/13/2019 at 9:05 PM, Alucard said:

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
MTA to hire French Canadian businessman to reorganize struggling system, including job cuts
NOV 13, 2019 | 7:18 PM

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Wednesday announced that Montreal-based business executive Anthony McCord will be hired to oversee a major shake-up that’s expected to include thousands of job reductions.

McCord’s official title will be “Chief Transformation Officer,” a position approved by the MTA board in July as a part of a larger reorganization plan mandated by Gov. Cuomo and the Legislature. McCord, a francophone, will be tasked with consolidating the MTA’s redundant administrative offices like the agency’s seven human resource departments, seven legal offices, seven finance divisions. He’ll also work to centralize the MTA’s various engineering departments, a move that transit officials believe will help them better execute the agency’s $51.5 billion capital plan.

Part of McCord’s work will be to reduce jobs — possibly as many as 2,700. According to MTA consulting firm AlixPartners, the reductions could save the agency up to $530 million a year.

McCord will start in mid-December. In July, the MTA had said it would likely begin headcount reductions in December as part of a plan put together by AlixPartners and approved by the MTA board. On Wednesday, an agency spokeswoman said that timeline has since changed and no reductions are planned for next month. It’s unclear how long McCord will stay at the agency. AlixPartners managing director Foster Finley said at the July board meeting that the Chief Transformation Officer was meant to be an “ephemeral role.” The new executive will report to the MTA board, who must approve his hire at a meeting on Thursday. He’ll make a hefty salary of $325,000 per year.

McCord said in a statement that he looks forward to “getting to work so that we can focus on delivering improved service for our 2.5 billion annual riders." The Canadian consolidator has held high level roles at private utility company Veolia and engineering firm Bouygues Energies & Services.
He’s one of several big hires the MTA is planning this fall. The agency also looks to fill several new executive positions like Chief Operating Officer, Chief Technology Officer and Chief Accessibility Officer.

A shake-up at the MTA has been in the works since at least the start of the year when Cuomo said he intended to “blow up the MTA.” When the governor and state lawmakers in April passed congestion pricing — which will toll cars in Manhattan and will help fund the MTA’s capital plan — the legislation also came with a requirement that the agency complete an audit and produce a reorganization plan. Cuomo in July said the reorganization plan is “conceptually right” and that his office would check in on its progress in January.

Things are not looking good for this list or any other administrative list. They are looking to cut these jobs, not hire.

I suggest you all to take civil service exams from other agencies. I am a represented analyst with Transit for 7+ years now and even I'm a bit uneasy for the next few months with the new transformation plan they are undertaking.

17 hours ago, MtaAnalyst said:

Things are not looking good for this list or any other administrative list. They are looking to cut these jobs, not hire.

I suggest you all to take civil service exams from other agencies. I am a represented analyst with Transit for 7+ years now and even I'm a bit uneasy for the next few months with the new transformation plan they are undertaking.

TAAnalyst,

Once the business consultants roll through these departments, it will be like most corporate head cutting affairs. Reduce cost, reduce redundancy, and save $ from future employee benefit costs. It's a huge win for the capital plan once they begin to eliminate. I do think it will be a swift cutting rather than a drawn out one [honestly this whole capitulation has been going on for several years] The administrative lists that are established like this one stand to get under utilized, or not used at all. The higher level exam lists may never get established, which would be an easy win for them. They can always re administer future exams if they deem more need. Even with those with selective service in certain fields the future doesn't seem to bright on the administrative/analyst side. 

Hopefully, for you as someone with several years of experience there it will allow for either a transition departmentally or you avoid the reductions when they come. This trainee list is at a 1 year point, and nothing has happened with it. Good luck to you there. These positions are good, but with so much emphasis being put on cost reductions, it seems they are the primary & easiest targets [those already in position/those on lists] to claw back some $ on the capital spending side. I suppose too, those analysts/admins making "more" would be for sure more endangered. Consultants will always agree to trim the fat off the top & use the lower paying ranks going forward.

As for exams from other agencies, these analyst/admin type exams seem to come around very seldom, there were a few city analysts exams a few months ago, but it seems it's a once a decade timeline for them to administer it.

Certainly it'd be nice if you could keep the board updated on things from the inside in the months to come, if you can, hopefully it works out okay for you. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

To my surprise, if you check out this website and if you type in "07606" into the search box on the top-right hand side of the screen, followed by pressing "enter" on the keyboard, you will see that on January 3rd, 2020, the agency requested 100 candidates to fill eight [8] vacancies for this position. As of today, January 6th, 2020, DCAS has certified 121 candidates for these eight [8] vacancies. My list number for this exam is 29*, so it will be a while before they reach my list number.

Best of luck for those who will be reporting in the immediate future!! If possible, please keep us updated. It would be truly appreciated.

Edited by +Young+

Thanks Young for spotting the new data,

After parsing through the data, it would appear, this certification [thus far the 5th, will be active from 1/6 to 2/7] It only included candidates ranked in the following range, 11.5, 16, 28.5, 30.5, 34 then 60 through 171, roughly 121 ranked candidates are on this certification. So it would appear again those that had better scores are not on this current certification. At the same time 8 openings, and 120 certified and 100 requested, well those odds seem slim for most in the batch. Still, I suspect like before, that as with most all the other certifications [2,3 & 4] there may be a chance that nothing happens off this certification.

To date, only the first certification resulted in people getting bought in with "conditional" job offer letters, and every certification since then has excluded that initial range group [candidates ranked 1-59] which in of itself doesn't make logical sense. I will say odds are this certification will be like the previous 3, and not much will occur. But if 8 or so get lucky good for them. At a certain point this list has to reset to calling the the candidates ranked with the highest scores/results, else they are going against the idea of moving from a ranked list by skipping over those that ranked highest. 

• Harry unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

It appears that the Exam 7606 List for Transit Management Analyst Trainee, is no longer ACTIVE. This list has reached it's expiration,,BUT..

there was one last final Certification [79231] off of it on 11/4/2022, for which almost all of the candidates were certified, for the possibility of what is listed as 10 vacancies. The Certification expires on 12/12/22. Perhaps, some will get contacted at the end here, but at this point 4 years have elapsed & this list over that time had 10 certifications. Not sure any were actually hired off this list [hiring freeze+Covid] This title did however allow for candidates that got hired to elevate to Assistant Transit Management Analyst after 1 year in the Trainee title. Last reported pay for Transit Management Analyst Trainee was $52,307. This was an unfortunate test/title, it got established right as a hiring freeze was implemented, then onto 2 years the covid hit, so not much really good came of this one...but it appears a 1 year extension is showing on the data lists. So maybe there's hope still left for those wanting to get in off this list.....

*****There is a column in the data sets that appears to extend this List through 11/14/2023*****

Edited by Alucard

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see that this List is still being referenced in some "Trainee" job posts on the TA job boards.

Also of note, it appears that the"Transit Management Analyst Trainee" title is now under TWU 100 union, at mabstOA,

https://postimg.cc/1fngFNY9

List is in its last 10 months, not sure people on it will really care to take a trainee title at this point. It's been a long time.