New York MTA Buy 200 Ex-TTC Orion VII Diesels

The Real

I've been holding on to this tidbit of information for about two months now, but I was told that the MTA would be buying 200 Ex-Toronto Transit Commission 2003-04 Orion VII Gen-II Diesels. These units are Detroit Diesel Series 50EGR Powered with Allison B400R Transmissions

TTC_Orion_7515.jpg

This article by TimeOut confirms that: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/the-mta-just-bought-200-diesel-busses-to-use-during-the-l-train-shutdown-043017

A couple of my connects from Toronto had told me that officials from the MTA was up there to look at the fleet a while back and hold told me that this purchase was forthcoming, at the time I had no idea why the MTA would be 200 used Diesel buses when we were buying a frig-ton of new buses, but this makes sense as keeping our older buses would not be as reliable as these units that are newer and that have received a rotisserie-all around rebuild in 2013-2014.

I've been holding on to this tidbit of information for about two months now, but I was told that the MTA would be buying 200 Ex-Toronto Transit Commission 2003-04 Orion VII Gen-II Diesels. These units are Detroit Diesel Series 50EGR Powered with Allison B400R Transmissions

TTC_Orion_7515.jpg

This article by TimeOut confirms that: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog/the-mta-just-bought-200-diesel-busses-to-use-during-the-l-train-shutdown-043017

A couple of my connects from Toronto had told me that officials from the MTA was up there to look at the fleet a while back and hold told me that this purchase was forthcoming, at the time I had no idea why the MTA would be 200 used Diesel buses when we were buying a frig-ton of new buses, but this makes sense as keeping our older buses would not be as reliable as these units that are newer and that have received a rotisserie-all around rebuild in 2013-2014.

Great info! Is the plan to basically burn through these buses as subway shuttles for the rest of their useful lives? 

Very interesting...

Do we know when they are coming and where they might run?

As the linked article itself states, that these buses are being bought for the L Train Shuttle shutdown services.

Great info! Is the plan to basically burn through these buses as subway shuttles for the rest of their useful lives? 

Probably.

OMG! I can finally comment!!! Lol. Thanks for the post Trevor!

This was the "other order" MTA was working on that I mentioned would hit everyone with a left curve! Since that cat is out that bag, we can go on and add this to the future fleet roster. That was one of the hardest secrets I ever had to keep!!!

Before commenting about what we need and what these are for, READ THE ARTICLE, these buses are for the L Train Shutdown Shuttle Services in partnership with the XD60s that will be assigned to Grand Avenue. Once this shuttle is done, 9 times out of 10, all 200 of these buses will be retired. We do not have enough buses in our fleet to cover regular services, regular weekend shuttles and THIS shuttle service.

OMG! I can finally comment!!! Lol. Thanks for the post Trevor!

This was the "other order" MTA was working on that I mentioned would hit everyone with a left curve! Since that cat is out that bag, we can go on and add this to the future fleet roster. That was one of the hardest secrets I ever had to keep!!!

Ah, so thats what the "200 Standard 40 foot buses NYCT (To be awarded April 2017)" on the Fleet & Depots page were for!

Will they come in mta colors (blue stripe or blue/yellow) or will they keep ttc colors

They will definitely arrive to us in TTC colors, whatever else would be done upon arrival here.

The longer we have DD50 buses on our streets, the better in my mind. This is one out of left field and a surprisingly old fleet for the MTA to invest in, but TTC does keep care of their buses, and I can see this shaping up something like the Bee-Line O5 investment (another meticulously preserved fleet which was run into the ground put to good use). Appreciate this update a lot. 

To keep costs down. if these are just going to be used for subway shuttles, I hope they don;t bother re-painting them and just slap MTA decals on them

If they throw fareboxes in them, its fair game. If not, then they will just be used for the (L) Shuttle.

They're buying 14 year old buses? (Past their normal lifespan). Why don't they just do a big overhaul of some of our VII's?

Facts. What's wrong with running the VII's? Just gotta give them a new tank, right? I may be totally wrong. This will be interesting. They should run these on the Q34 short turn lolz

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They're buying 14 year old buses? (Past their normal lifespan). Why don't they just do a big overhaul of some of our VII's?

Facts. What's wrong with running the VII's? Just gotta give them a new tank, right? I may be totally wrong. This will be interesting. They should run these on the Q34 short turn lolz

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Do you know how much it costs to retank a CNG bus? It is a much cheap option to buy used buses.

These buses went through a down to the frame rehab in 2013-2014, they are in FAR better shape that MOST of our own Orion VIIs. Also, if you're referring to the outgoing Orion 7 CNGs, the tanks are about to expire. The cost to re-certify new tanks cost more per bus than what we're paying for these used Diesels.

The MTA finally got the Orion VII diesels they always wanted 

To keep costs down. if these are just going to be used for subway shuttles, I hope they don;t bother re-painting them and just slap MTA decals on them

Honestly if they're only going to be used for subway shuttle services, they might as well. Maybe slap SUBWAY SHUTTLE on it as well.

Archived