B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

Not that I'm aware of...since the first test date is the weekend of October 14th/15th, we'll probably get it in about three weeks, give/take a few days depending on where you live.

+Young+

Do you know if there is any study material for this exam? Or anything to look at before?  :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barnes and Noble has a huge area for test prepping. You might find a book there for the B/O Exam

Personally (and this is personally), I wouldn't waste any $$ on those books. Depending on where you live, you might be successful borrowing some books from your local library, since they are going to be useless once the exam is over...

+Young+

Do you know if there is any study material for this exam? Or anything to look at before?  :)

In addition to using some books from the library, I focused on the Notice of Examination, which contained what's going to be on the exam, in addition to this NYPD Test Preparation Kit, which includes a memory portion.

Good luck!!

On 9/23/2017 at 5:33 PM, YoungNYCSubwayFan said:

So in today's mail I got my admission notice to the exam - Sunday, October 15th @ 2:30 PM at Midwood High School in Brooklyn.

Anybody else get their letter?

Young, 

I just got mine today (probably took longer to get to me in the mail since they are mailing it ALLLL the way back here to Southeastern MA and all, but at least I got it :D ). I am at 8:30AM on 10/15/2017 at FDR in Borough Park. Goal is to do better on this than on T/O #7604. :)

• Harry featured this topic
14 hours ago, Chris628 said:

How long after we take the test will scores be posted and where? To find out how we did ?  

Shortly after the exam, such as within a month or two, they'll have the proposed answer key online on this page. Therefore, at the exam, if you manage your time wisely by taking advantage of the  yellow "candidate's record of answers" sheet, you will be able to calculate your score. Example: Out of 80 questions, if you got 76 of them correct, then your score would be a 95% (76 divided by 80, and move the decimal point two places to the right). Now if there are 60 questions, and you got 57 of them correct, your score would also be a 95% (57 divided by 60, and move the decimal point two places to the right).

As far as when they mail you your official score with your list number, from taking several exams for NYC Transit & DCAS, I would say at least a year. It might be longer, depending on how fast they move with the list for Exam 4600.

• Harry unfeatured this topic
On 9/21/2017 at 5:33 PM, +Young+ said:

Personally (and this is personally), I wouldn't waste any $$ on those books. Depending on where you live, you might be successful borrowing some books from your local library, since they are going to be useless once the exam is over...

In addition to using some books from the library, I focused on the Notice of Examination, which contained what's going to be on the exam, in addition to this NYPD Test Preparation Kit, which includes a memory portion.

Good luck!!

+Young+, 

Can you suggest some books from my local library that I can take a good look at in preparation? That NYPD Test Kit is a good start. Many thanks. 

3 hours ago, JV620 said:

+Young+,

Can you suggest some books from my local library that I can take a good look at in preparation? That NYPD Test Kit is a good start. Many thanks. 

As far as books are concerned, I would try to get this one, if you can. However, since this is the third time I'm taking this exam, since I took B/O Exams 2613 & B/O 4600, none of the books that I came across have a memory portion, that's why I suggested that NYPD Test Preparation Kit. Also, if you look at the Notice of Examination, nine out of the eleven areas that we're going to be tested on are included in the NYPD Test Preparation Kit (except for Customer Service & Mechanical Aptitude).

Speaking of the NYPD Test Preparation Kit, I would also encourage you to look at this updated NYPD Test Preparation Kit as well. Although most of the questions are the same, they updated the picture for the memory portion which should help when studying for this exam.

Edited by +Young+

Hey all, NJ Transit is hiring full time B/O's right now. You'll get hired in 2-3 months, while you wait for NYC to call you for this test (2+ years).

Go to their website, click careers, download the B/O application and mail it in to the Maplewood, NJ address. You'll be contacted in a few weeks.

If you don't have your CDL Permit, I suggest you start reading the State CDL book now. You have to take the General, Passenger & Air Brake tests ASAP.

Good Luck All!

On 9/27/2017 at 8:30 PM, mrem37 said:

Probably 4-6 months. They'll mail you your results and they'll give you your exam list number. 

Before you receive your final weight score if you pass the multiple test questions  you will have to take a BOSS exam on another selected date. If you pass both the multiple test and BOSS exam  you will  receive the final score but it make take up to 2 years depending on how far they are with finishing the current hiring application pool from exam 4600.

• 2 weeks later...

I also just took 7612 exam this morning but at Midwood HS. I was taken by surprise with the memory part but as long as you focused on the 10 minutes allowed to study, you should be fine. The test overall was fair. I feel good about it but want to stay humble. Good luck to everyone. 

8 hours ago, jake3178 said:

Just took 7612 exam at FDR am session. First 9 question memorization part was tricky. The rest I found very straight forward. But damn that memory based part lol.

I agree 100%!! I took it this afternoon at Midwood High School...I was wearing a green sweatshirt with a "Cardozo Soccer" jacket and I was in room 373 in case anybody recognized me...I was done at around 5:50...

Edited by +Young+

Took the bus operator test. Questions were a bit tricky. However, it was straight forward. Good luck to everyone that took the test. 

Took mine at Midwood- 10/15 at 2:30PM. Left at 5:50. Sat in room 353. Test proctor was cool. However, there was a pesty a**hole with a radio and kept walking in and out of the classroom we called top flight.

Hey everyone, I took the train operator exam in june. That actually helped me with taking this bus operator exam. Made it sooo much easier. This test is not bad.  The 10 min memory test is not that bad.  Everything else is straight forward, all the answers  are there. I can't stand flipping pages back and forth over and over and over though. Do they do that on purpose ? I wish they had a booklet where you can snap the pages off, everyone at one point taking the test is flipping pages looking at the diagram or the grids and going back.  The test is not hard.  Flipping pages back and forth gets annoying.  Make sure you bubble in the right answers in the right key, because you can overlook an question. Other than that it was alright.  I was at midwood in the AM. Parked like 8 blocks away, alot of people.  So many people nervous. You shouldn't be nervous.  I didn't bring a calculator. Only the letter, my drivers license and a #2 pencil. Don't worry about how many people are ahead of you, everyone will take the test if you are there.  I sat in the car waited until the line moved, and then went in.  Thats it.  Take the test do your best, forget you took it, and breathe and wait. 

ONE TRICKY QUESTION was when it asked what you would do if 2 teenagers got into a fight in the bus.  There was a couple of good answer, is it 1 right answer ? or more than 1 answer could be right ? 

ANOTHER was someone holding the back door so people can enter the bus through the back, what would you do ? There was 2 good answers there. Are they both right ? Is that how these questions get graded ?

ALSO, I know bus exam 4600 is still in effect, what number are they up too ?  And im sorry if I posted anything im not suppose to post regarding the exams. Just wanted to know what would be the right answer to those.

36 minutes ago, Moody said:

ALSO, I know bus exam 4600 is still in effect, what number are they up too ?  And im sorry if I posted anything im not suppose to post regarding the exams. Just wanted to know what would be the right answer to those.

For B/O Exam 4600, according to the DCAS automated system, out of 8,221 candidates, they are up to the 4800's (approximately).

5 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

For B/O Exam 4600, according to the DCAS automated system, out of 8,221 candidates, they are up to the 4800's (approximately).

Thanks young, you know that part time bus boss exam? I ended up not taking it. I didn't want to get stuck at spring creek part time.  Its too late to even take it right ?