B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

3 minutes ago, Moody said:

Thanks young, you know that part time bus boss exam? I ended up not taking it. I didn't want to get stuck at spring creek part time.  Its too late to even take it right ?  

If I had to take an educated guess, I would say "yes", however I would email examsunit@nyct.com and see what they say...

Also, keep in mind that the trick is to get your foot in the door. Once you complete the intense 10-day training session and your year of probation (not 100% sure how that's going to work for the part-time position), if you switch over to MTA Bus Company Full-Time, or MaBSTOA, or NYC Transit, you don't have to go through those things over again.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

If I had to take an educated guess, I would say "yes", however I would email examsunit@nyct.com and see what they say...

Also, keep in mind that the trick is to get your foot in the door. Once you complete the intense 10-day training session and your year of probation (not 100% sure how that's going to work for the part-time position), if you switch over to MTA Bus Company Full-Time, or MaBSTOA, or NYC Transit, you don't have to go through those things over again.

True, true, I did email them. Will see what happens.   

Anyone ever see this site before ?   You can enter a last name and it will tell you who took an exam from nyc civil service exam, it has police, mta bus, train operators.  Its a good reference.  

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Civil-Service-List-Active-/vx8i-nprf/data

2 minutes ago, Moody said:

Anyone ever see this site before ?   You can enter a last name and it will tell you who took an exam from nyc civil service exam, it has police, mta bus, train operators.  Its a good reference. 

https://data.cityofnewyork.us/City-Government/Civil-Service-List-Active-/vx8i-nprf/data

I didn't, however I was playing  around with it and it has good information for the civil service exams only - therefore, the MTA Bus Operator and MaBSTOA exams do not count, since you get a random list number, followed by the BOSS. Unlike this exam (7612), we took a civil service exam this past weekend (and maybe next weekend) which will determine our list number.

Also, please stay on topic - if a few posts go off-topic, that's okay, but please do not get carried away with this...

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Moody said:

Hey everyone, I took the train operator exam in june. That actually helped me with taking this bus operator exam. Made it sooo much easier. This test is not bad.  The 10 min memory test is not that bad.  Everything else is straight forward, all the answers  are there. I can't stand flipping pages back and forth over and over and over though. Do they do that on purpose ? I wish they had a booklet where you can snap the pages off, everyone at one point taking the test is flipping pages looking at the diagram or the grids and going back.  The test is not hard.  Flipping pages back and forth gets annoying.  Make sure you bubble in the right answers in the right key, because you can overlook an question. Other than that it was alright.  I was at midwood in the AM. Parked like 8 blocks away, alot of people.  So many people nervous. You shouldn't be nervous.  I didn't bring a calculator. Only the letter, my drivers license and a #2 pencil. Don't worry about how many people are ahead of you, everyone will take the test if you are there.  I sat in the car waited until the line moved, and then went in.  Thats it.  Take the test do your best, forget you took it, and breathe and wait. 

ONE TRICKY QUESTION was when it asked what you would do if 2 teenagers got into a fight in the bus.  There was a couple of good answer, is it 1 right answer ? or more than 1 answer could be right ? 

ANOTHER was someone holding the back door so people can enter the bus through the back, what would you do ? There was 2 good answers there. Are they both right ? Is that how these questions get graded ?

ALSO, I know bus exam 4600 is still in effect, what number are they up too ?  And im sorry if I posted anything im not suppose to post regarding the exams. Just wanted to know what would be the right answer to those.

U shouldn’t post questions from an exam here. It can cause you to get disqualified

Edited by 2nice

4 hours ago, 2nice said:

U shouldn’t post questions from an exam here. It can cause you to get disqualified

People have done it before, including me for previous exams and I was not disqualified. Therefore, don't worry about it.

Edited by +Young+

3 minutes ago, USMC27 said:

LONG TIME LURKER

STARTED OFF WITH MTA BUS THEN WENT TO MABSTOA. HOPEFULLY I ACE THIS TEST AND BECOME A NYCT BUS OPERATOR.

WHICH JOB PAYS MORE DOT,SANITATION OR AN MTA BUS DRIVER

Please exercise proper forum etiquette and be careful with the CAPITAL LETTERS...thank you...

1 hour ago, Sb1914 said:

Who thought the last question was very tricky?

To be honest it's kinda hard to determine whether or not the last question was tricky because technically we all had different test. Where as the same question is most likely on the exam but in a completely different order from others. So yeah. But I mean give a example of the question at your own risk.

Edited by DrewMania
bad grammar

• 1 month later...

For me, I got 20 questions wrong out of 80 for a raw score of 75%...I'll definitely be at the protest session on Friday and see what happens.

From what I recall, with the exam being that hard, it'll be interesting to see when the list comes out of how many people passed the exam.

On 12/12/2017 at 5:22 PM, New2this said:

12 wrong out of 80.... 85 grade. Not so bad for me. I was wondering how long till the boss exam? 

According to the 4600 thread, they're close to half-way through the list, since someone with a list number in the 3000's (out of 8,221 people) is going into the December 26th class. Therefore, since they still have time to create the list, and since it's probably going to take place at a public high school, I would say the BOSS will be taking place within the next six months.

Happy Holidays!!

Edited by +Young+
Correction...

1 hour ago, Chris628 said:

Where can i go to find out the test answers

Click here and scroll down to Bus Operator Exam #7612. If you used your "Candidate's Personal Record of Answers" sheet, you can compare your answers and then divide the number of questions you got correct by 80. Example:

If you got 72 questions correct, then 72 divided by 80 equals 0.90, or 90%.

If you got 64 questions correct, then 64 divided by 80 equals 0.80, or 80%.

If you got 56 questions correct, then 56 divided by 80 equals 0.70, or 70%.

Remember that you need a score of a 70% or higher to pass.

1 hour ago, jake3178 said:

9 wrong, that gives me 88.75%, thought I did better.. oh well..

how competitive are TA bus exams? Do you need close to a 100 to have a chance?

The closer you are to 100, the better you will be. Based off the 4600 exam, an 88.75 would put you anywhere between having a list number of 5508 to 6504. TA started calling from 4600 around last year June and they are already halfway through. (Somewhere in the 4000s)

Remember that this is just the proposed answer key. After the final answer key is released, your score may go up a couple points. Also, TA is gearing up with the L train shutdown in 2019, which will definitely require more buses on the road. (Which has been the case with the M train shuttle) Finally, not everyone on the list will realize that they were called, take the job, pass pre-employment, pass the medical, pass training, pass probation (and get fired) or they might end up resigning. All of these things will make the list move faster and get to your number faster. 

8 hours ago, MTA-Hopeful said:

I got four wrong. 95%. Hopefully the protest will knock out a couple of them for me but I won't be able to attend. Hopefully someone posts on here but this forum isn't all too busy. 

So I went to the protest session today. Out of the 20 questions I got wrong, I was able to submit a protest for 12 of them. Some of them were obvious, and for the ones I was not able to submit a protest for, it was human error.

We'll see what happens....

44 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

So I went to the protest session today. Out of the 20 questions I got wrong, I was able to submit a protest for 12 of them. Some of them were obvious, and for the ones I was not able to submit a protest for, it was human error.

We'll see what happens....

thank you from those of us who didnt go

You're welcome. Out of all the civil service exams I took, I knew something was not right when I realized I got 20 questions wrong. Normally with these things I get a few wrong here and there, with the exception of a few DCAS exams and the Transit Management Analyst Trainee exam this past summer.