B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

1 hour ago, Greg1029 said:

But on the letter I received it says just passenger endorsement...I understand I'm going to need all 3 obviously but for the 1st step at Livingston st. I was wondering if I just need passenger for Monday

MTA driving requirement is a CDL CLASS B WITH PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT OR CDL CLASS B PERMIT WITH PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT. YOU RENEW PERMIT EVERY 6 MONTHS ($10 FOR GENERAL AND ENDORSEMENTS) I THINK? UNLESS YOU HAVE $1000.00 ON HAND TO GO FOR THE LICENSE. YOU DONT NEED AIR BRAKES BUT IF YOU WANT TO STUDY EXTRA GO FOR IT...……. Do bus drivers empty air tanks and check the alcohol level at the end of each day?

Edited by misslo

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Greg1029 said:

But on the letter I received it says just passenger endorsement...I understand I'm going to need all 3 obviously but for the 1st step at Livingston st. I was wondering if I just need passenger for Monday

[NO] air brakes is actually a restriction, not an endorsement. Hence, why it is worded the way it is, on the letter. You still need to take and pass the written test for air brake. So general knowledge (for your license), Passenger (for the endorsement) and Airbrakes (to not get the restriction)

36 minutes ago, misslo said:

MTA driving requirement is a CDL CLASS B WITH PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT OR CDL CLASS B PERMIT WITH PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT. YOU RENEW PERMIT EVERY 6 MONTHS ($10 FOR GENERAL AND ENDORSEMENTS) I THINK? UNLESS YOU HAVE $1000.00 ON HAND TO GO FOR THE LICENSE. YOU DONT NEED AIR BRAKES BUT IF YOU WANT TO STUDY EXTRA GO FOR IT...……. Do bus drivers empty air tanks and check the alcohol level at the end of each day?

You actually need to take and pass the air brakes portion too. Buses do have an air brake system that you kinda have to know about.

53 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

[NO] air brakes is actually a restriction, not an endorsement. Hence, why it is worded the way it is, on the letter. You still need to take and pass the written test for air brake. So general knowledge (for your license), Passenger (for the endorsement) and Airbrakes (to not get the restriction)

You actually need to take and pass the air brakes portion too. Buses do have an air brake system that you kinda have to know about.

Oh ok. The more you know. Thanks

8 hours ago, Sirjin said:

You need to have all 3. You will need General knowledge and airbrakes for CDL B with a  passenger endorsement 

As a suggestion, although it is not mandatory, have you considered taking the School Bus endorsement as well? The reason why I'm suggesting this is because later on, if you wish to add it, you will have to take another road test in another bus. If you add the endorsement now, you can take one road test for both endorsements.

8 hours ago, mrem37 said:

I hope you guys pass all 3 DMV tests on such short notice. It's not that easy.. 

Have you tried using the practice tests from cristcdl.com? When I got my initial permit about 5 years ago, in addition to all of the other endorsements as time evolved (Metal Coil, School Bus, Doubles/Triples, Tow Truck, Tank & Hazmat), I made index cards from the practice tests from this website. Since the site is based out of Ohio, I would recommend using the practice questions from the practice tests 75 to 80% of the time and reading the manual the other 20 to 25% of the time.

6 hours ago, MaxFever said:

This whole pre-employment process is being rushed and mistakes are being made on Transit's end...

I'm not surprised...

5 hours ago, misslo said:

Do bus drivers empty air tanks and check the alcohol level at the end of each day?

We don't check the alcohol. As far as emptying the air tanks, only if the company requires it especially when it gets very cold in order to prevent the air  lines underneath the vehicle from freezing. This way, there will be less problems when the person the next morning starts it. It's also a safety feature since you can't safely move the vehicle unless there's at least 90 PSI, however the ultimate decision is up to the company.

Edited by +Young+

54 minutes ago, mrem37 said:

Hey Young, 

I see that MTA Bus has a part time position available at the moment. 

What does part time consist of? 

Less hours I'm assuming. Do part timers get pension & benefits?

Click here for the pros and cons.

9 minutes ago, mrem37 said:

Nobody asked you

Please behave. In the future, please do not hesitate to send me a Private Message (PM) if you wish to directly ask me a question. I try to go online at least once a day.

Edited by +Young+

1 hour ago, sisslims29 said:

How come they are doing pre-employment already. Isn't them the same clerks that handles all the other exams employment.  Wouldn't they get mix up when processing.?

If I had to take an educated guess, they're very close to finishing up the 4600 list, or, not a lot of people who are on the bottom of that list are not showing up.

And yes, it is the same clerks that handles all the other lists for employment, however not only do they do this day in and day out, some of them have been doing this for a while that they know what they're doing.

34 minutes ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

3 moving violations 1 suspension will I get disqualified?? Good luck to all

Mind I ask when these violations and suspension were, and how many points you have?

They'll probably tell you to restore your name to the list once the suspension comes off your abstract.

5 hours ago, MTA Bus Man said:

Anyone know how long after the initial pre-employment do they call you in for training?

They say anywhere from 3 to 90 calendar days. Therefore, since they're also working with Bus Operator Exam 4600, in which those people have priority, I would personally say at least a month. Again, this is my educated guess.

2 hours ago, Bsalick1992 said:

So my list number is 12** for b/o exam 7612 I got the email to go get my Cdl license and i got my cdl permit already so will I be getting called soon or do I have a long wait anyone can give me a ball park idea?? 

In addition to the comment below as far as them rushing everything, from the previous pages, somebody in the 500's got called, but not the 600's. Therefore, since they're also working with the previous list, which doesn't expire for the next 13 months (give/take couple of weeks), I think you still have some waiting time. As far as how long of a waiting time - it all depends on the needs of the Dept. of Buses and how many people show up to Livingston Street.

In addition, the e-mail said to go get your CDL, when, on the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination, all you need is a Learner's Permit and your license being valid for three [3] years? I find this interesting.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:01 PM, MaxFever said:

This whole pre-employment process is being rushed and mistakes are being made on Transit's end,  such as the text, email and phone call message stating that some of us were supposed to get our pre-employment letters prior to Tuesday November 10th (which is not correct since Tuesday is the 13th). I originally thought maybe they meant Tuesday the 20th since that's closer to being a typo.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:44 PM, +Young+ said:

Not bad, that's the maximum amount of points you can have.

Now the suspension - if it's less than 3 years old, then there's a problem...

On 11/14/2018 at 10:46 PM, +Young+ said:

You're welcome.

I need some help, I got a ticket  2 years ago an I got a traffic lawyer to help me out, for the past two hearing dates the officer didnt show up, I have a next date that's us dated for 06/2019, will this come up at the pre employment process , or how should I handle this issue,  thank you !

1 minute ago, Boom7180 said:

I need some help, I got a ticket  2 years ago an I got a traffic lawyer to help me out, for the past two hearing dates the officer didnt show up, I have a next date that's is dated for 06/2019, will this come up at the pre employment process , or how should I handle this issue,  thank you !

1 hour ago, Boom7180 said:

I need some help, I got a ticket  2 years ago an I got a traffic lawyer to help me out, for the past two hearing dates the officer didnt show up, I have a next date that's us dated for 06/2019, will this come up at the pre employment process , or how should I handle this issue,  thank you !

First, as a general suggestion to everyone, I would recommend running off your abstract so you have an idea of what you're working with, especially for the past three years. For New York State residents, you can click here for more information.

Second, once you go down to Livingston Street, they will not let you proceed if you have anything pending. Therefore, if you really want this job, just pay the ticket, bring proof when you go down for pre-employment and just move on. Things happen, it's not the end of the world.