B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

19 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

First, as a general suggestion to everyone, I would recommend running off your abstract so you have an idea of what you're working with, especially for the past three years. For New York State residents, you can click here for more information.

Second, once you go down to Livingston Street, they will not let you proceed if you have anything pending. Therefore, if you really want this job, just pay the ticket, bring proof when you go down for pre-employment and just move on. Things happen, it's not the end of the world.

Thank you for the feed back!  Iam heading down to the tvb monday to take care of this , rather just get it over with an start the hiring process.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Boom7180 said:

Thank you for the feed back!  Iam heading down to the tvb monday to take care of this , rather just get it over with an start the hiring process.

Amen!! Just make sure you bring proof down to Livingston Street!

2 hours ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

When i head down for pre employment do i have to bring my abstract or they have it there already? Also do they review the abstract that day to inform me if i continue on? Or they review it when i bring back my 21 page packet

You only need an abstract if your license is out of state. They run your information during the process.

5 hours ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

Thanks a lot. So they will tell me that day if I continue on with the process?

From what I recall, they might briefly tell you what they found after running your abstract, such as "you're clean" or "you only have one accident" or something to that nature.

If you're abstract is acceptable, then they will let you continue with the process, in which the next step would be the drug test which is done with your urine. If your abstract is not acceptable, they will not let you proceed and tell you what the problem is right there and then, including how to resolve it (if possible), or if you have to wait until something negative comes off your abstract, such as a suspension, accident, DWI/DUI, etc.

1 hour ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

Damn. Thanks for the info didnt want to waste my time. Got called for both b/o and t/o. Maybe t/o will work out

Keep in mind that for some titles, like Conductor, Train Operator, Track Worker, etc. they will still run your abstract to see if you have any outstanding tickets that need to be paid. If so, they will not let you proceed until all of that is settled, respectively.

44 minutes ago, MTA Bus Man said:

If you get hired as a bus operator and dont pass the training, does that mean you can never work for the MTA again? Even if it's for a different position such as track worker or Train operator?

If you don't pass the 10 day training, then you will have to wait 5 years before you can be hired as a B/O again. However, failing out of training shouldn't hinder being hired in another title.

4 hours ago, MTA Bus Man said:

If you get hired as a bus operator and dont pass the training, does that mean you can never work for the MTA again? Even if it's for a different position such as track worker or Train operator?

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

If you don't pass the 10 day training, then you will have to wait 5 years before you can be hired as a B/O again. However, failing out of training shouldn't hinder being hired in another title.

Back in February of 2014, when I failed the 10-day training session, I asked this question to somebody at Zerega and they told me the same thing. This past April, I received a disqualification letter, aka the "1-in-3" letter for the Track Worker position. When I called Ms. Rivera to find out about this, one of the first questions she asked me was "Were you a former MTA employee?" Since I did answer "yes" to her, in which, at one point, I did have a red MetroCard pass with my name and picture on it, to make a long story short, she told me what was mentioned in the second portion of this post.

I'll be very curious to see what happens in a few months, not only with President Andy Byford running the show, since he did say in this interview that the MTA needs a "top to bottom modernization of every aspect of our operations," but also with Governor Cuomo also saying in this article that changes need to be made, we'll see what happens. Regardless if it's a positive or negative outcome, I'll be keeping everybody on this site posted one way or another.

10 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Five year ban ? That's like saying you Can try again but not in this life. What barbarian thought that was a bright idea ? 

I got a 1 year hiring ban with LIRR after I failed Signal Maintainer Trainee practical exam but was told I can apply for other LIRR positions. 

NYCTA needs to be more civilized and reduce this 5 year ban to 1 year. The way things are going in this city, the blue collar workers are gonna start disappearing if they can't get good jobs. 

3 hours ago, MaxFever said:

Five year ban ? That's like saying you Can try again but not in this life. What barbarian thought that was a bright idea ?

NYCTA needs to be more civilized and reduce this 5 year ban to 1 year. The way things are going in this city, the blue collar workers are gonna start disappearing if they can't get good jobs. 

I hear ya. After attending some hiring pools for other city agencies, I can understand how the "1-in-3" rule comes to play, especially since they gave me three chances to sell myself. However, for those of you who have been down to the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street, they don't even have hiring pools!!

In addition, since they have a President and NOT a Commissioner, in addition to the fact that they, unlike NYPD, FDNY, NYC DOT, NYC DCAS, etc. have regular board meetings, I really wonder if they're "abusing" this "1-in-3" rule to begin with.

(My apologies for going off-topic, I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't hire me earlier this year as a Track Worker.)

Edited by +Young+

10 hours ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

What was the reason they disqualified u from track worker??

See below.

21 hours ago, +Young+ said:

When I called Ms. Rivera to find out about this, one of the first questions she asked me was "Were you a former MTA employee?" Since I did answer "yes" to her, in which, at one point, I did have a red MetroCard pass with my name and picture on it, to make a long story short, she told me what was mentioned in the second portion of this post.

Edited by +Young+

Hey. I was just wondering. Is there someone I can call or anyone here that knows anyone that can help me with the 21 page booklet. They ask about previous jobs and schooling of which I dont have the exact dates... Is it acceptable to put estimated dates or are they particular about them being accurate? Any help would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

Ridiculous you should appeal that. No reason why u should be disqualified for track worker

I agree, however the only people I can think of to appeal this to are to either President Byford and/or Governor Cuomo, and I don't want to destroy my chances of getting hired by this agency in the future...

8 hours ago, MTA Bus Man said:

Hey. I was just wondering. Is there someone I can call or anyone here that knows anyone that can help me with the 21 page booklet. They ask about previous jobs and schooling of which I dont have the exact dates... Is it acceptable to put estimated dates or are they particular about them being accurate? Any help would be appreciated.

First of all, they're closed until Monday for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Second, to the best of your ability, just put down the months and the years. If it's still hard for you to remember, you can get a printout of jobs from your local Social Security office and work off of that. The main thing is that you're honest with them.

In addition, if you were unemployed, as long as it's for three months or less, that's also acceptable. Just note how you were supported during this time (savings, parents, spouse, family member, etc.).

Edited by +Young+
Additional information

Was a medical form needed to get your CDL permit? I passed all three and when I went to get my test certified, they said I had check one of the four boxes on the back of the application. And told me the first two boxes I needed a medical form, so I ended up just choosing the last one. I'm not sure if I'm screwed now.