B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Bsalick1992 said:

My question is if they have another bus operator exam coming out feb 8 and haven’t even contacted some of us ?? Where does that leave us are we going to still be considered ??

They aren't going to overlook you, they're gonna be calling names off the current established lists. The next exams most likely won't be established until maybe a year from now.

1 hour ago, Yasar441 said:

Any hiring updates for exam 7612?

As per this post in the MaBSTOA #4105 Hiring Process thread/topic, everything at the current moment is on hold since Governor Cuomo cancelled the (L) train shut down.

Offhand, are you looking for experience prior to undergoing the intense 10-day training session? If so, maybe this thread/topic can help you.

(Hint: My current employer, which is the last post in that topic/thread, is still looking for people, which is an invaluable experience since we use practically the same buses that NYC Transit uses on a regular basis.)

Edited by +Young+

9 hours ago, +Young+ said:

As per this post in the MaBSTOA #4105 Hiring Process thread/topic, everything at the current moment is on hold since Governor Cuomo cancelled the (L) train shut down.

Offhand, are you looking for experience prior to undergoing the intense 10-day training session? If so, maybe this thread/topic can help you.

(Hint: My current employer, which is the last post in that topic/thread, is still looking for people, which is an invaluable experience since we use practically the same buses that NYC Transit uses on a regular basis.)

You hiring? 😛

12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

You hiring? 😛

Not me, personally, but my current employer is. Check out this post for more information.

(Hint: If you look at this page, you'll see that we have eight (8) buses (Bus #4 is gone). If you compare that to this page, especially when looking at the single unit Orions and New Flyers (no articulated buses), you'll see it's practically the same thing.

Edited by +Young+
Update...

Hi Everyone. I am number 514 for BO. I did my drug test back in November. I called the number they gave us to see whats going on 2 weeks ago and I was told they we up to 485. I assumed I’d be called very soon but I still haven’t heard anything. I called the 212 number and I was told I had an outstanding certification, I don’t know what that means. Is this a normal delay? I’m getting nervous because I haven’t heard anything yet. Any news as to what number they are up to? Thanks!! 

I have to get in contact with them... I took the BOSS survey makeup earlier this month BUT they sent a letter dated 01/18/2019 saying I need to come in on February 6 to take it and restore my name on the list afterwards. I'm very confused. Called DCAS and lo and behold, I'm still on the list as of January 20. Sigh. Sent them an email for the time being. I'll have to see what numbers I can call to get in touch with someone.

11 minutes ago, Deirdre0407 said:

Hi Everyone. I am number 514 for BO. I did my drug test back in November. I called the number they gave us to see whats going on 2 weeks ago and I was told they we up to 485. I assumed I’d be called very soon but I still haven’t heard anything. I called the 212 number and I was told I had an outstanding certification, I don’t know what that means. Is this a normal delay? I’m getting nervous because I haven’t heard anything yet. Any news as to what number they are up to? Thanks!! 

I'm a few numbers ahead of you... With the (L) train shutdown thing not happening anymore things have slowed down tremendously.

15 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

I have to get in contact with them... I took the BOSS survey makeup earlier this month BUT they sent a letter dated 01/18/2019 saying I need to come in on February 6 to take it and restore my name on the list afterwards. I'm very confused. Called DCAS and lo and behold, I'm still on the list as of January 20. Sigh. Sent them an email for the time being. I'll have to see what numbers I can call to get in touch with someone.

I'm a few numbers ahead of you... With the (L) train shutdown thing not happening anymore things have slowed down tremendously.

Thank You! And good luck!! 

2 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

@SoSpectacular, if we had to put a time frame on when they will start calling people, when do you think they will start calling people and/or have the next class?

In this post in the MaBSTOA 4105 Hiring Process thread/topic, I said at least two months - maybe three.

Thoughts?

20 hours ago, +Young+ said:

@SoSpectacular, if we had to put a time frame on when they will start calling people, when do you think they will start calling people and/or have the next class?

In this post in the MaBSTOA 4105 Hiring Process thread/topic, I said at least two months - maybe three.

Thoughts?

At this point, I don't care how long it takes now- it could be in the summer for all we know. I'm more worried about clearing up this error for the time being.

I received a letter from Mta today stating that “in over for me to be considered for the next bus Operator class I must report to the Nyc Department of Administration services the week of February 4 to restore my name to the list due the fact that all vacancies have been filled”

Edited by R170

5 minutes ago, R170 said:

I received a letter from Mta today stating that “in over for me to be considered for the next bus Operator class I must report to the Nyc Department of Administration services the week of February 4 to restore my name to the list due the fact that all vacancies have been filled”

Guess that settles that for the time being. I've also been told to go to DCAS and have my name restored in the letter I got the other night.

1 hour ago, R170 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what number are you?

• +Young+ changed the title to B/O 7612 Hiring Process
On 1/22/2019 at 7:19 PM, Deirdre0407 said:

I've had the same question. Im not sure what number to call, but my list number is in the 70's & i completedthe drug test back in November aswell. Everytime i call DCAS, im told im on an outstanding certification. As far as i know thats a good thing, however i haven't gotten into a class nor have i recieved the letter about the vacancies being filled. Is there another number apart from DCAS i can call?

3 hours ago, Merk said:

I've had the same question. Im not sure what number to call, but my list number is in the 70's & i completedthe drug test back in November aswell. Everytime i call DCAS, im told im on an outstanding certification. As far as i know thats a good thing, however i haven't gotten into a class nor have i recieved the letter about the vacancies being filled. Is there another number apart from DCAS i can call?

I apologize for saying this, but the MTA employment process is both exciting and frustrating. I feel they made a huge error in calling a number of us to start the employment process. Because of their misjudgement in the wake of the L train not being shut down, most of us are left to suffer. 

I could be wrong, but this frustrating process seems to be focused on the civil service exams #7612 and 7604. Two of my coworkers, who both applied for exam# 7300, had pre-employment and final processing in less than one week. The second coworker went to pre employment just last week and just received an email for medical tomorrow. If he passes the medical, his orientation will be on Monday, while the rest of us are taking a second or third urine from months ago!

NJ Transit hired me within two months of mailing out my application to my first day of class as a B/O. I'm here over two years now, with 40 ppl under me in seniority. 

There's just too many ppl in NYC taking these civil service exams. Takes forever. 

However, Correction Officer will call you in a few months. Something to think about. I know a guy who went from being a C/O to a Fire Fighter. Once you have your foot in the door, you can slip into the open cracks. 

I was invited to take the Locomotive Engineer test with NJ Transit. But the schooling is almost two years for this position. Something to think about.. 

If B/O is the only position you want, Academy, Peter Pan & Greyhound is hiring as well. They'll train you for your CDL as well. Something to do while you wait for NYC, and the experience of driving a bus before you get in with NYC would be a BIG plus. You'll also have a CDL which would put you ahead of the ppl who don't have one. 

Something to think about ..

Edited by mrem37

8 hours ago, mrem37 said:

If B/O is the only position you want, Academy, Peter Pan & Greyhound is hiring as well. They'll train you for your CDL as well. Something to do while you wait for NYC, and the experience of driving a bus before you get in with NYC would be a BIG plus. You'll also have a CDL which would put you ahead of the ppl who don't have one. 

Something to think about ..

Although this is good information, there is actually a thread dedicated to helping others gain this invaluable experience which can be found here.

Therefore, as per the guidelines, if we can stay on-topic, it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I have good news for you folks!!

If you check out the NYC Civil Service List Certification page, followed by typing in "07612" in the search box on the top right, on February 6th (yesterday) the agency "certified" those candidates whose list number range from 14 to 1,463. Now if you look at the far right side of the chart, they say they only have 200 vacancies available. However, just like with all of the other civil service examinations I took, you start out with a high certification sequence number, and then as it gets lower, the agency will make an effort to get in contact with you one way or another.

Good luck everyone!!

18 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

If you check out the NYC Civil Service List Certification page, followed by typing in "07612" in the search box on the top right, on February 6th (yesterday) the agency "certified" those candidates whose list number range from 14 to 1,463. Now if you look at the far right side of the chart, they say they only have 200 vacancies available. However, just like with all of the other civil service examinations I took, you start out with a high certification sequence number, and then as it gets lower, the agency will make an effort to get in contact with you one way or another.

Good luck everyone!!

It's only 200 spots to fill out?? I still haven't got a letter to come in to do paperwork 11xx

12 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Good luck everyone!!

What do you mean list was certified ? , does that mean that only 200 out of the 1463 will be hired ?

12 hours ago, Mikepro6 said:

What do you mean list was certified ? , does that mean that only 200 out of the 1463 will be hired ?

This means, that the demographics of approximately 1,463 people have been sent to the Human Resources Department. Out of these 1,463 people, whoever is successful in getting through the pre-employment process between the drug test, physical, final processing and the 10-day training session will get the job.

Keep in mind they go by list number order and those on the B/O 4600 list have the first priority, since that list is older compared to this one.

Edited by +Young+