B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, cwing813 said:

just received a call for medical test on this Friday, such a very short notice........ 2 days..........

Me too, in the letter it said the training class start next Monday, funny part is they said dont resign from current job. But when u are getting some many suddenly day off and a whole 10 days training it's hard to not get fired or need to resign.

10 minutes ago, Moussy said:

Me too, in the letter it said the training class start next Monday, funny part is they said dont resign from current job. But when u are getting some many suddenly day off and a whole 10 days training it's hard to not get fired or need to resign.

lol

this is exactly what i think, i can still find some excuse to attend the medical test, but if for training class start on next Monday??? how..........

i hope i will find someone to discuss about this on Friday......

5 hours ago, cwing813 said:

lol

this is exactly what i think, i can still find some excuse to attend the medical test, but if for training class start on next Monday??? how..........

i hope i will find someone to discuss about this on Friday......

If its possible....can you take a leave of absence from your job? ( just tell your job its for family reasons, etc.)

36 minutes ago, train1290 said:

If its possible....can you take a leave of absence from your job? ( just tell your job its for family reasons, etc.)

Thankfully I have a very understanding boss and PTO to use. I am praying that I pass the first 10 days. Thing is after u pass u must resign from your job. No 2 week notice. I hate doing that to my coworkers but there’s no choice. 

6 hours ago, Moussy said:

Good Luck!!

On 4/10/2019 at 7:42 PM, Moussy said:

Anyone know how they assign people for regular or double bus?

They do it randomly. From one of my prior jobs, I know somebody who lived in Uptown Manhattan and had to report to Casey Stengel for the initial seven days, and now he's out of a depot in the Bronx. In addition, I know @Mr NewFlyer, who also worked for this company, who had to go to JFK Depot, got originally assigned to East New York and now he's out of the Tuskegee Airmen Depot. While he was out of the JFK Depot, he used buses 4146 & 4648. Next, a little over five years ago when I attempted the 10-day training session, I recall going to the Flatbush Depot for the first seven days and using either 4243, 4235, 4590 and when I went to Gun Hill for Days 8 & 9, we used 4089. Therefore, for the initial 7 or 9 days they only use the Orion VII buses, which can be seen here, here and here (remember => reference point for an acute turn - front bumper to curb). You won't be driving a coach bus or a articulated bus or anything to that nature yet. Once you pass training and you pick your depots, then they will train you on the equipment if they have it. For a complete list of what depot has what equipment, click here.

In addition, in between going to Livingston Street and waiting to report to Zerega, I would recommend to look at these handouts. They will come in handy and are a nice summary to the things they will be emphasizing.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:05 PM, Moussy said:

On 4/10/2019 at 9:29 PM, train1290 said:

If you have a Class B CDL with a "P" endorsement, are looking for invaluable experience and are seeking an employer who will definitely work with you regarding this, click here.

Edited by +Young+
Addition (with permission)

13 hours ago, FlyGirlNo1 said:

Good luck listen to the instructor I saw people get fired just by not following simple directions ....BE ON TIME!!!!they will fire you Day one if you’re late  

You won't get fired for not following simple direction, but you will put yourself in a direction being set as an example throughout the training process. Lateness reporting on duty will be a big no no throughout your transit career and if you're still on probation, you can be extended  or terminated.

During the 1 - 10 training day, you will be giving a phone number to contact zerega training office  just in case an emergency situation comes up and you will be late or absent. If you are taking mass public transportation to your assign training depot, You will have to cover yourself and use the Employee pass "ID Metro Card" into the the bus or train farebox and take note by writing down the bus number or train car number just in case something takes place where service is delayed or an emergency situation occurs.  We are all human and they don't expect you to be super perfect. If you miss a training day, you will automatically  be sent to Day 8 and 9 even if you did good on day 6 and 7. If for any reason you have to stop training due to personal reasons, you will be allowed to return back within a month to continue training, So if an emergency come up and you were on day 5, when you return back, you will start off from Day 5 within the current class at the time you return back.

20 hours ago, cwing813 said:

just received a call and email saying medical test on Friday, and considered for the class start on next Monday???

is it something wrong ??? 

Well it looks like if everything goes well on Friday with medical, you will start class on Monday. If you are unable to start class, you will be able to start the next following class.

20 hours ago, Moussy said:

I will be as honest as I can...............The main reason they state not to resign your current employer, its because you are not officially hired until you pass training. You have successfully pass the HR level to move forward into training and you will be under payroll during the training process. I don't want to sound blunt or anything, but not everyone in your class will make it, and if so that was an awesome class. 2 years ago my class had about 59 candidates, and out of 59 only 25 made it. As a class the ones that made it, we all still communicate with each other via group text message just to give updates on what we are doing or make plans to meet up. 

16 hours ago, Moussy said:

Anyone know how they assign people for regular or double bus?

During the training process, you will have to successfully qualified during day 7, 9, or 10 in order to move forward learning other buses. if the depot you will be working out of carries a certain type of buses, you will learn that bus either at Zerega or at the respective depot you will be officially working out of. For example, if you ended up at Flatbush Depot, Jackie Gleason, Gun hill, Quill, West Farms, Kings Bridge, MCH and etc, these depots operates Articulated buses. Therefore you will learn the artic buses during the weeks of your line training. If you ended up at a depot that has Express Coach buses, you will have to learn the coach buses. For the time being try not to worry about these extras and focus more learning and nailing the basics first. You will only be able to touch these buses once you successfully complete the basic training first.

Edited by +Young+
Spelling...

9 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

I will be as honest as I can...............The main reason they state not to resign your current employer, its because you are not officially hired until you pass training. You have successfully pass the HR level to move forward into training and you will be under payroll during the training process. I don't want to sound blunt or anything, but not everyone in your class will make it, and if so that was an awesome class. 2 years ago my class had about 59 candidates, and out of 59 only 25 made it. As a class the ones that made it, we all still communicate with each other via group text message just to give updates on what we are doing or make plans to meet up. 

do you think the class will be too hard for people with no truck or bus experiences?

Went in for medical today, passed, and yes they threw me in for Monday. Luckily I don't have to worry about my current employer thanks to the upcoming spring break and the fact that I was able to speak to the assistant manager, who is very cool.

43 minutes ago, cwing813 said:

do you think the class will be too hard for people with no truck or bus experiences?

It will be a little more intimidating to those getting behind the wheel of a large vehicle but you will get used to it very quickly. You do have to be mindful of the size and dimensions of the bus. 

7 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Went in for medical today, passed, and yes they threw me in for Monday. Luckily I don't have to worry about my current employer thanks to the upcoming spring break and the fact that I was able to speak to the assistant manager, who is very cool.

It will be a little more intimidating to those getting behind the wheel of a large vehicle but you will get used to it very quickly. You do have to be mindful of the size and dimensions of the bus. 

how long did you stay in there today?

55 minutes ago, cwing813 said:

Nothing is ever too hard if you really put your mind and soul into it.

A person who operated a large vehicle may have an upper experience, but with this training, it has nothing to do with your experience. Its more of can you operate that bus safely and the transit way. We have seen candidates who came from other commercial carriers such as  School bus, Trucks and other industry failed  the 7- 10 day training. To answer your question, its all up to the student whether or not they can do it. Some students who only had a Class C license with a B Permit manage to make it very simple. 

10 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Congrats! If you are driving to Zerega Monday, Arrive Super early just to find parking, and make sure you are properly dress with a TIE or you will be sent home as soon you reach the second floor. Zerega has ZERO tolerance for Cell phones, And not properly dress.  

17 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Got there around 7 AM, the doors opened shortly after and I was out of there by 1:20 PM today. The medical process takes a while!

Nice!.. I was on the 6 floor today handling some benefits paper work and left there like around 2pm

Edited by Flatbush SBS Duece

3 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Congratulations!! See you on Monday!

1 hour ago, Mikepro6 said:

What’s the salary for NYCTA ? 

According to the Notice of Examination, the salary is $22.69/hour. However, as a result of discovering this website, if you type "service availability" in the search box on the top right, you'll see the salaries of the Bus Operators for the fiscal years from 2014 to 2017.

Without revealing specific 'real' names or usernames from this site, somebody who was in the prior class to mine back in 2014 made approximately $93,000 back in 2017, and somebody who I met at one of my prior jobs made approximately $40,000 in his (partial) probationary year.

In addition, according to this post, @SevenEleven made $77,000 in 2018 prior to any deductions.

Nice, right?

Edited by +Young+
Addition (Thank you Google!!)

11 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

According to the Notice of Examination, the salary is $22.69/hour. However, as a result of discovering this website, if you type "service availability" in the search box on the top right, you'll see the salaries of the Bus Operators for the fiscal years from 2014 to 2017.

Without revealing specific 'real' names or usernames from this site, somebody who was in the prior class to mine back in 2014 made approximately $93,000 back in 2017, and somebody who I met at one of my prior jobs made approximately $40,000 in his (partial) probationary year.

Nice, right?

The pay at the moment is 23 and some change for new hires. We are in a middle of a new contract negotiation since the current contract expires this May 2019. 

I can say as far salary goes, It all determine on the operator. I myself this year was able to achieve triple the amount I was suppose to earn. But that took dedication with doing Over Time and double ups. Thanks to the L shuttle and others

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

The pay at the moment is 23 and some change for new hires. We are in a middle of a new contract negotiation since the current contract expires this May 2019. 

I can say as far salary goes, It all determine on the operator. I myself this year was able to achieve triple the amount I was suppose to earn. But that took dedication with doing Over Time and double ups. Thanks to the L shuttle and others

How long untill your first raise ? & how much ?

been at my job for almost 8yrs really trying to figure out if I should leave or not , I don’t know if I can get a leave of absence for the 10day training that starts Monday and with not having any experience with busses I don’t know how good my chances are of passing the training 

Don't forget, you're always going to do overtime. Most runs are 9 hours, so that's an extra 5 hours OT every week, time and a half, $35 (plus Delay Time) - you'll find out what that is later on.

Plus, OT is always available for extra money if you like to work. 

It took me about 6 months to feel comfortable driving a bus. I've been doing it 2.5 years now. So now it's like driving my car. 

I had an interview for the Locomotive Engineer job the other day, wish me luck! 

Good Luck in training all! 

Edited by mrem37
OT