B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

Good evening all, I have a question... my pre-employment date is tomorrow. I unfortunately lost my social security card and didn’t have enough time to get a replacement today.... I do have the rest of the docs required except that

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, New2this said:

I was called today to go in tomorrow for medical. They said to bring a "postal money order". Would the MTA accept any else for payment for the fingerprint???? Credit card or just a regular money order???

You can bring in a regular money order. I did and it was fine. 

5 hours ago, New2this said:

I was called today to go in tomorrow for medical. They said to bring a "postal money order"...

Mind I ask what your list number is? Don't forget to hide the last digit or two...thanks.

10 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

You need everything you had from the pre-employment PLUS your CDL B permit with Passenger endorsement ("P") and air brakes which removes the ("L") restriction. You didn't need the permit at pre-employment but you will need it for the medical and final processing because both happen on the same day should you clear the doctors.

Shoot. My first time behind the wheel of that bus was a little unnerving. I would hope I get settled in enough by that day.

How is training going so far? If you don't mind what depot are you currently training out of?...

6 hours ago, Moussy said:

Got assigned to Gunhill with superintendent Beard, a super nice and patient gentlemen that wont yell and scream, really glad to have him as our instructor.

Supt Beard is totally awesome!!!! You have a better chance making it on your first try with him. Like you mention, Hes calm and patient. 

11 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

How is training going so far? If you don't mind what depot are you currently training out of?...

I got sent to Grand Avenue. Im doing okay but still have some getting used to behind the wheel. Day 2 went pretty well considering some folks saying it's the hardest day. Got trolley braked twice on two tight corners. I like my instructor a lot. Really cool guy. Funny as hell. 

Edited by SoSpectacular

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

I got sent to Grand Avenue. Im doing okay but still have some getting used to behind the wheel. Day 2 went pretty well considering some folks saying it's the hardest day. Got trolley braked twice on two tight corners. I like my instructor a lot. Really cool guy. Funny as hell. 

I got it twice today too! Learned the hook turn today. Super easy.  I am not thrilled with my eval for the day but it definitely lets me know where I need to improve. I am super happy with Sup. Langston. He’s fantastic. Super knowledgeable and very cool. Easy to talk to him which is important. 

5 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Supt Beard is totally awesome!!!! You have a better chance making it on your first try with him. Like you mention, Hes calm and patient. 

Man supint Beard is amazing, he give no pressure and always trying to make us feel more confidence, he make people feel like he like the job not the one who only work the job for paycheck, I totally respect him so much

43 minutes ago, Deirdre0407 said:

I got it twice today too! Learned the hook turn today. Super easy.  I am not thrilled with my eval for the day but it definitely lets me know where I need to improve. I am super happy with Sup. Langston. He’s fantastic. Super knowledgeable and very cool. Easy to talk to him which is important. 

The hook turn was definitely a little easier than I'd expected. Messed up slightly on one of the acute turns because I started the turn a little late. I only got trolley braked on one of the right turns and because I'd wandered close to a truck that was double parked on the street. I'm okay with the evaluation I got but I need to focus on getting my turns down pat and observing the mirrors and whatnot more

3 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

1 hour ago, Deirdre0407 said:

28 minutes ago, Moussy said:

Man supint Beard is amazing, he give no pressure and always trying to make us feel more confidence, he make people feel like he like the job not the one who only work the job for paycheck, I totally respect him so much

24 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

The hook turn was definitely a little easier than I'd expected. Messed up slightly on one of the acute turns because I started the turn a little late. I only got trolley braked on one of the right turns and because I'd wandered close to a truck that was double parked on the street. I'm okay with the evaluation I got but I need to focus on getting my turns down pat and observing the mirrors and whatnot more

That great news hearing the Supt you guys currently have. Just stay focus, learn from the other students mistake on the bus and help each other out if you can. Its okay to mess up on day 1 - 5.   

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Judging by when this thread was done in 2017, I'm guessing the wait time is 2 years for bus op but since the L shutdown was axed, the wait might be longer?

I took the exam in October 2017 and the L train shutdown had something to do with it originally when they sent the letters out for pre-employment to almost everyone. They had also extended the lists of the previous two exams by another year because of it too. I scored high enough to be called up sooner. 

19 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

I took the exam in October 2017 and the L train shutdown had something to do with it originally when they sent the letters out for pre-employment to almost everyone. They had also extended the lists of the previous two exams by another year because of it too. I scored high enough to be called up sooner. 

Hopefully I'll get called soon. Really itching to do any kind of route they'll put me on lol

3 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

They did extend the lists of the previous two exams for Transit? If you click here, type "2613" in the search box on the top right, and if you click here and type "4600" in the search box on the top right, I actually disagree with you...

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Judging by when this thread was done in 2017, I'm guessing the wait time is 2 years for bus op but since the L shutdown was axed, the wait might be longer?

It all depends on the needs of the Dept. of Buses...

42 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

They did extend the lists of the previous two exams for Transit? If you click here, type "2613" in the search box on the top right, and if you click here and type "4600" in the search box on the top right, I actually disagree with you...

It all depends on the needs of the Dept. of Buses...

You know what I meant, they're still calling names off the TA and OA exams 4600 and 4105, there were folks there at orientation from those exams. Some looked like they were reinstated looking at their folders

10 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

You know what I meant, they're still calling names off the TA and OA exams 4600 and 4105, there were folks there at orientation from those exams. Some looked like they were reinstated looking at their folders

I hear ya, however they did not extend those lists, rather those lists did not expire yet. And since they're finished with calling people from those lists, chances are that those folks reinstated their names to the list. I would have also been there if it wasn't for this incident, however we'll see what happens.

Edited by +Young+

25 minutes ago, Bsalick1992 said:

So they are up to the 7XXs?? Anyone know for sure what number they might be up I read someone got a letter from the 7xxs? I called the employment center they said they only up to 486 so I’m confused .. 

They haven't updated their system on DCAS. I was list number 5XX. You should be getting something soon... maybe July.

36 minutes ago, Bsalick1992 said:

So they are up to the 7XXs?? Anyone know for sure what number they might be up I read someone got a letter from the 7xxs? I called the employment center they said they only up to 486 so I’m confused .. 

A guy I met Tuesday while I was redoing the urine test, his list number was in the 700’s. They were considering him for the April 29th class. 

I did my drug test today. I was told that I will be called for medical between from 3-90 days .

If any one did medical in last few days, can you share your list number(without last 2 digit) and your drug test date with me?

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Shon said:

I did my drug test today. I was told that I will be called for medical between from 3-90 days .

If any one did medical in last few days, can you share your list number(without last 2 digit) and your drug test date with me?

Thanks in advance.

I went in for the medical April 11 and was quickly thrust into the 4/15 class after I was cleared.  I originally got called for the drug test back in November but did not get called back for the medical. I got another call to come in April 8 for another drug test.