B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

1 hour ago, BusOperator0913 said:

I’m just curious, how long does it take to grade a boss exam and if the need for bus operators are high, can they rush results?

34 minutes ago, BusOperator0913 said:

My list number is 8xx. I took a medical and just recently took a boss exam for this exam last Tuesday. 

It doesn't take that long to grade the BOSS exam. As far as "rushing the results," they have to follow civil service rules and regulations and go in order by list number. Therefore, they'll probably be calling you shortly.

Don't forget to keep us updated!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/26/2019 at 11:41 PM, +Young+ said:

Congrats!! Offhand, was the route for Day 9 the same as in these posts (5399 & 5400) or did they change it?

BbSAL? BBS? Triple S-U? Can you please elaborate? They all sound very interesting...

From what I recall over 5 years ago, the instructor showed you everything on day one, they make you do it on Day 4, and, as in the last post, some instructors 'push' it on Day 7, other's don't.

Even for @Mr NewFlyer, when he told me about his experience from this past October out of the JFK Depot, the instructor gave him two chances on Days 6 and 7 to do it 100% to determine if the student was going to qualify or be sent to Days 8 & 9.

BBSALS are

Break Drum

Break Linings 

Spring Mount

Air Bag

Leaf Springs

Shock Absorbers

BBS are

Break Chamber

Break Hose

Slack Adjudters

Triple S-U

Steering Box

Steering Rod

Steering Linkage 

U Bolts

D is

Drive Shaft

u must know the whole under Carriage and what to look for for each part. Such as properly mounted, all hardware present and tight. Different things for different parts of the under carriage. Also must know engine parts, Hydraulic compartment & Coolant  Surge System. It sounds like a lot but Once u see it and study it’s easy. 

My road test is Friday

and I got Jackie Gleason Depot 👍🏻

47 minutes ago, Deirdre0407 said:

BBSALS are

Break Drum

Break Linings 

Spring Mount

Air Bag

Leaf Springs

Shock Absorbers

BBS are

Break Chamber

Break Hose

Slack Adjudters

Triple S-U

Steering Box

Steering Rod

Steering Linkage 

U Bolts

D is

Drive Shaft

u must know the whole under Carriage and what to look for for each part. Such as properly mounted, all hardware present and tight. Different things for different parts of the under carriage. Also must know engine parts, Hydraulic compartment & Coolant  Surge System. It sounds like a lot but Once u see it and study it’s easy. 

My road test is Friday

Also, to add on to that, the instructor won't make you pre-trip the entire bus! He or she may point out various locations or tell you to begin from a certain side of the vehicle (They may try to trip you up in the middle of the air brake test by asking you to abruptly stop in between steps and move on to the next thing. DO NOT allow this to happen. Instant failure.). Although certain parts of the vehicle are not accessible, you still need to mention them. Next Monday's my road test, by the way.

Edited by SoSpectacular

15 hours ago, Deirdre0407 said:

BBSALS are

Break Drum

Break Linings 

Spring Mount

Air Bag

Leaf Springs

Shock Absorbers

BBS are

Break Chamber

Break Hose

Slack Adjudters

Triple S-U

Steering Box

Steering Rod

Steering Linkage 

U Bolts

D is

Drive Shaft

My road test is Friday

Wish you best if luck!

20 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Also, to add on to that, the instructor won't make you pre-trip the entire bus! He or she may point out various locations or tell you to begin from a certain side of the vehicle (They may try to trip you up in the middle of the air brake test by asking you to abruptly stop in between steps and move on to the next thing. DO NOT allow this to happen. Instant failure.). Although certain parts of the vehicle are not accessible, you still need to mention them. Next Monday's my road test, by the way.

Instructor meaning MTA instructor? Or, DMV instructor?

2 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

The road test is administered by the NYS DMV at Eastchester Depot. 

So they no longer start and end across the street from 750 Zerega Avenue? That's something new...

1 hour ago, New2this said:

Does anyone know what happens on day 8?? I qualified on day 7

Congrats!! Did they tell you where to report? If so, you will be training on the other types of buses they have. If you are going to the Jamaica Depot, you will be training on the Novas and the New Flyers. If you're going to another depot, you can scroll up and down that page to figure out what other types of buses they have.

10 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Congrats!! Did they tell you where to report? If so, you will be training on the other types of buses they have. If you are going to the Jamaica Depot, you will be training on the Novas and the New Flyers. If you're going to another depot, you can scroll up and down that page to figure out what other types of buses they have.

1 hour ago, New2this said:

Like @+Young+ Stated, you will be learning other type of buses. You were giving instructions today where to report tomorrow "Most likely @ Jamaica Depot". 

The stress is over for now, so no more test unless you have a CDL permit.

21 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Like @+Young+ Stated, you will be learning other type of buses. You were giving instructions today where to report tomorrow "Most likely @ Jamaica Depot". 

The stress is over for now, so no more test unless you have a CDL permit.

I was told to report to Jamaica Depot. I'm happy I got my license and endorsements before the training. So I dont have to go to the DMV for the road test.

41 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Thanks, I was told to report to Jamaica Depot.

19 hours ago, +Young+ said:

So they no longer start and end across the street from 750 Zerega Avenue? That's something new...

Nope, with the new testing standards as of December 2017 the three parts of the road test require more space- the skills test especially. Eastchester has the room for it so it's done there now.

2 hours ago, New2this said:

You're going to do equipment training. You're going to get familiar with the Nova LFS and New Flyer XD40 models.

Word of advice: When you get behind the wheel of the New Flyer, don't be surprised at how the brake pedal reacts when you come to a stop. It's some type of self-applying interlock that allows you to rest your foot in between stops. You will feel it sink after about 2-3 seconds of idling and you'll have to tap the gas pedal to get the bus going. It won't roll on its own. I got behind the wheel of it and was confused after I released the parking brake. The superintendent in charge had to tell me to hit the gas.

Hi all I have some questions if anyone can help , scored 3xx and was called in Nov went and did all paperwork and drug test,was called for medical in dec, due to my current work obligations I was not able to leave my job until may of 2019 , I called the number that was on the medical notice and was informed they dont hold the job for anyone ( wasnt expecting to have it held I just wanted to postpone it a few months) I was informed I needed to send an email to tell them I could not finish hiring process at this time, which I did send and when I was ready again to send an email to put my name back on list, which i did in march and received confirmation that i was added back onto list, does anyone no the highest number that was certified? I am on list but not the certified list and was told by dcas I will be on next certified list when mta needs more candidates from the list does anyone have any idea how long that can take or usually takes?? sorry for long question wanted to give as much info as possible lol, thanks for any help/advice 

27 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

You're going to do equipment training. You're going to get familiar with the Nova LFS and New Flyer XD40 models.

Word of advice: When you get behind the wheel of the New Flyer, don't be surprised at how the brake pedal reacts when you come to a stop. It's some type of self-applying interlock that allows you to rest your foot in between stops. You will feel it sink after about 2-3 seconds of idling and you'll have to tap the gas pedal to get the bus going. It won't roll on its own. I got behind the wheel of it and was confused after I released the parking brake. The superintendent in charge had to tell me to hit the gas.

Thanks for the heads up. So do we spend most of the day driving? When do we get to pick depots?

12 minutes ago, New2this said:

Thanks for the heads up. So do we spend most of the day driving? When do we get to pick depots?

You'll pick depots sometime in the next week during either General Instruction/Customer Service and/or Vision Zero classes. And yes, you and your Day 7 classmates will spend the day driving around and taking turns. Those that qualify on Day 9 will do it on Monday and pick up those who pass on that day which will be Day 10 and drive around.

Edited by SoSpectacular

3 hours ago, New2this said:

Congratulations....Where did day 7 take place? What streets and cross streets? Any tips you could give us? ( If you don't mind me asking and youre at liberty of answering.... BTW thank you in advance)

26 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Congratulations....Where did day 7 take place? What streets and cross streets? Any tips you could give us? ( If you don't mind me asking and youre at liberty of answering.... BTW thank you in advance)

Day 7 is up to your Superintendent. There is no specific streets, but it’s not as hard as day 6. If you have passed 6, relax, you got this!