B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

1 hour ago, jacknyc said:

...I am on list but not the certified list and was told by dcas I will be on next certified list when mta needs more candidates from the list does anyone have any idea how long that can take or usually takes?? sorry for long question wanted to give as much info as possible lol, thanks for any help/advice 

After this incident took place, in which I came back a second time, waited and was unable to take a drug test, I'm in the same boat as you. From reading these threads, if I recall correctly, I recall somebody saying they're going to call the next 'batch' of people this summer.

24 minutes ago, Deirdre0407 said:

Day 7 is up to your Superintendent. There is no specific streets, but it’s not as hard as day 6. If you have passed 6, relax, you got this!

True story: Back in 2014, one of my classmates had a perfect Day 6. However, on Day 7, when securing the bus, she left it in reverse by accident, instead of neutral, and, instead of passing, she went to Day 10 (with me). To this date, I haven't seen or heard from her, and I don't know if she qualified or not.

Therefore, although you have good advice, just make sure you don't do anything bad. One 'serious' mistake, like what I described above, and you're off to Day 9.

Edited by +Young+

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, train1290 said:

Congratulations....Where did day 7 take place? What streets and cross streets? Any tips you could give us? ( If you don't mind me asking and youre at liberty of answering.... BTW thank you in advance)

My instructor at Grand Avenue did the entirety of our training along the B13 route and the surrounding streets. The route has it all, acute/obtuse turns, hook turns, tight streets where you literally are 2 feet from hitting a car probably so it was the perfect stage for day 7. 

52 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

My instructor at Grand Avenue did the entirety of our training along the B13 route and the surrounding streets. The route has it all, acute/obtuse turns, hook turns, tight streets where you literally are 2 feet from hitting a car probably so it was the perfect stage for day 7. 

Hmm....ok. So you passed day 7? Another question is when you're assigned a depot for days 1-7, lets say that depot is in Brooklyn......will the Days1-7 be in Brooklyn or no?

31 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Hmm....ok. So you passed day 7? Another question is when you're assigned a depot for days 1-7, lets say that depot is in Brooklyn......will the Days1-7 be in Brooklyn or no?

I had to go to day 9 because of a mistake I nearly made on day 6. While I did really good on day 7 I couldn't qualify because you have to be near perfect on day 6 along with 7.

4 hours ago, BusOperator0913 said:

I’m still waiting for the Boss Results but funny thing because today they called me for exam 7105. I have to begin the preemployment process....yet again lol. Another day of long paperwork and urine test. 

So its your second time going down to 180 Livingston street for the P/E?

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

So its your second time going down to 180 Livingston street for the P/E?

For this exam 7105 I had to be skipped because I didn’t have a social at the time. Back in December I came down for 7612 and did the urine. It expired and I had to do the whole process over again In April. May 1st I had to do a boss for 7612. Now I guess the process for 7105 started over again. 

13 hours ago, BusOperator0913 said:

For this exam 7105 I had to be skipped because I didn’t have a social at the time. Back in December I came down for 7612 and did the urine. It expired and I had to do the whole process over again In April. May 1st I had to do a boss for 7612. Now I guess the process for 7105 started over again. 

if you wouldn't mind, may i know your listing number for 7612?

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

Didn't see you afterwards but congrats! The remaining two of us to Gleason are up Monday morning!

Let me know how it goes! I look forward to seeing you both on Tuesday!  Practice ur offset on the opposite side, incase you get the same Examiners that I had today. He also tries to get you out of your chair before the Air Break System check is completed and outside before u pre-trip the interior. 

18 hours ago, Deirdre0407 said:

Let me know how it goes! I look forward to seeing you both on Tuesday!  Practice ur offset on the opposite side, incase you get the same Examiners that I had today. He also tries to get you out of your chair before the Air Break System check is completed and outside before u pre-trip the interior. 

Yeah we did all that after the examiner left! We we warned that the guy you had yesterday was a tricky bastard! 

3 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Yeah we did all that after the examiner left! We we warned that the guy you had yesterday was a tricky bastard! 

I almost passed that 8A exit too. So be mindful that as soon as u see that “ red” house get ready to exit. Only by the grace if God that I caught it. I crossed the zebra lines to make it. I thought he was going to fail me for it. 

3 hours ago, Deirdre0407 said:

I almost passed that 8A exit too. So be mindful that as soon as u see that “ red” house get ready to exit. Only by the grace if God that I caught it. I crossed the zebra lines to make it. I thought he was going to fail me for 

Yeah... Right when you pass the entrance ramp after 8C you can use that lane to get to 8A, just have to be mindful of the merging traffic.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:06 PM, Deirdre0407 said:

You'll be seeing me on Tuesday! I feel great today!

2 hours ago, cwing813 said:

does anyone know when is the next class?

If you look at the Certification Page by typing "07612" in the search box on the top right, followed by pressing 'enter,' things have been quiet, therefore the next class might not be anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

No I passed it today. I go to my depot Tuesday.

Congrats!

3 hours ago, train1290 said:

Alright Congratulations! Where was Day 7 for you? Any tips you could tell us?

For our Day 7, we were taken along the B13 route and the surrounding side streets, going from Ridgewood all the way to Spring Creek and back. We did everything from acute left turns to right hooks. Basically utilizing all our skills in a sense.

Best thing I could tell you is to never make the same mistake each day. Days 1-5 are for you to learn. Use the notes your instructor writes on your task sheets and think about what you can do to remedy that situation. Every slip-up I made from Days 1-5 never happened again. 

On my first day I had the bus veering off too close to my right because it felt a little overwhelming at first. It took some getting used to. Day 2 I offered to go first on making turns. I veered too close to a car on my right making a right turn. Got trolley braked. Took that experience, went home and thought back. Day 3 we learned bus stops. I did not notice my instructor had put his leg in the door while I tried to close it. Whoops. Wasn't paying enough attention. Didn't happen again! Day 4 I nearly veered into an el pillar because I got confused as to which mirror I was supposed to find the pillar on my right and lost it. Day 5 I was finally feeling more comfortable behind the wheel so driving in upper Manhattan wasn't as bad. Still got trolley braked because I did not utilize some extra space at a strange intersection. I also forgot to utilize a hook turn because I wasn't paying attention to how close I was to a curb. Had to be backed up and complete the turn. Day 6 I mistimed a turn signal and instantly had to go to Day 8 and 9. But! My Day 7 was flawless. My instructor was impressed.

"Why couldn't you do that the days before?!" He'd said after I made a fairly difficult turn. It was hard but I got it done.

Edited by SoSpectacular

So we got to pick depots today... only 3 depots in Brooklyn where available. My question is, what can I do to get transferred to a depot that I want?? And how would I know that the depot that I want has openings? 

Edited by New2this