B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sisslims29 said:

Can some explain what the Certificate Sequence Number mean?

If you type "Bus Operator" into the top-right search box of the Civil Service List Certification page, you'll see that, in order to be fair to everyone, the people who have the lowest certification sequence numbers are those folks who restored their name to the list for the prior exam, B/O Exam 4600, followed by the candidates from this exam. In addition, to be fair to everyone, including to the folks who have a smaller list number than yours who decided to restore their name to this list, for whatever reason, they probably have a smaller certification sequence number compared to those who have already been to Livingston Street once for this title/position.

Therefore, with that said, my personal definition of the "certification sequence number" is the order in which an agency, in this case, NYC Transit, has to go by when appointing candidates off of a civil service list. If you look carefully on the website, on September 23rd they were given 849 people to work with. Will they go through all of them? When will they stop calling from this certified list of 849 people? How soon will they request the next batch of candidates from DCAS?

Only time will tell. This includes who initially shows up to Livingston Street, who passes the pre-employment, physical and final processing, who passes the 10-day training session out of Zerega, and how many vacancies there are due to people retiring, getting promoted, getting fired, etc.

Edited by +Young+

8 hours ago, +Young+ said:

If you type "Bus Operator" into the top-right search box of the Civil Service List Certification page, you'll see that, in order to be fair to everyone, the people who have the lowest certification sequence numbers are those folks who restored their name to the list for the prior exam, B/O Exam 4600, followed by the candidates from this exam. In addition, to be fair to everyone, including to the folks who have a smaller list number than yours who decided to restore their name to this list, for whatever reason, they probably have a smaller certification sequence number compared to those who have already been to Livingston Street once for this title/position.

Therefore, with that said, my personal definition of the "certification sequence number" is the order in which an agency, in this case, NYC Transit, has to go by when appointing candidates off of a civil service list. If you look carefully on the website, on September 23rd they were given 849 people to work with. Will they go through all of them? When will they stop calling from this certified list of 849 people? How soon will they request the next batch of candidates from DCAS?

Only time will tell. This includes who initially shows up to Livingston Street, who passes the pre-employment, physical and final processing, who passes the 10-day training session out of Zerega, and how many vacancies there are due to people retiring, getting promoted, getting fired, etc.

Okay because my list number is #1**. So, I'm trying to figure out how soon that I would probably be in a training classroom. 

Edited by sisslims29

3 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

Okay because my list number is #1**. So, I'm trying to figure out how soon that I would probably be in a training classroom. 

You can ask them when you go when the next class is. It will probably be by the end of October.

27 minutes ago, d4500 said:

Hello..

When i do pre-employment time then

They ask or proof .. about high school diploma 

Or ged certificate?  For b/o exam 7612

Neither. As per the bottom of the first page of the Notice of Examination, "there are no formal education or experience requirements for this exam."

Hi everyone

I received a letter to report to Livingston this Friday morning for pre employment.

All the documents they request I currently have except the CDL Permit.

On Tuesday I will be at DMV to take the written for the cdl, what can I do since I won't be getting my CDL permit before I report this Friday?

also is there a way to postpone the process for a later date?

If yes how can I do this?

Thank You all for your help

22 hours ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

I received a letter to report to Livingston this Friday morning for pre employment.

On Tuesday I will be at DMV to take the written for the cdl, what can I do since I won't be getting my CDL permit before I report this Friday?

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I was a subway Conducter for NYCT until I volunterly resigned about 15 months ago.

Would this cause any problems for getting this Bus operator job?

Thank You

24 minutes ago, hh1a said:

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I was a subway Conducter for NYCT until I volunterly resigned about 15 months ago.

Would this cause any problems for getting this Bus operator job?

Thank You

Honestly, if you have any write ups at work they may use it against you. If you really did leave on good terms then no, they won't try and mess with you.

23 hours ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

DMV should give you a paper copy of the permit before the hard copy gets to your house.I took it 2 days before I had premployment and it was already on the driver abstract they look at ,they didn't even ask to see it since it was in the abstract they pull up.

1 hour ago, dman1455 said:

Honestly, if you have any write ups at work they may use it against you. If you really did leave on good terms then no, they won't try and mess with you.

Thanks for replying

the document I submitted for my resignation where it said "reason for resignation" I wrote down "personal reasons"

I wasn't forced to resign or anything like that.

I believe I left in good terms.

2 hours ago, Cactus683 said:

DMV should give you a paper copy of the permit before the hard copy gets to your house.I took it 2 days before I had premployment and it was already on the driver abstract they look at ,they didn't even ask to see it since it was in the abstract they pull up.

Thank You

I was reviewing my driving information and I received a ticket for an improper turn on February 2019.  I plead Not guilty to fight it on March 2020, so that would be my only pending ticket.

Does anyone know if this would be an issue when I go in for pre employment?

Thank You guys

2 hours ago, hh1a said:

I was reviewing my driving information and I received a ticket for an improper turn on February 2019.  I plead Not guilty to fight it on March 2020, so that would be my only pending ticket.

Does anyone know if this would be an issue when I go in for pre employment?

Yes it will. If it's pending, since you plan on fighting this ticket in approximately five [5] months from now, they will not let you proceed.

If you wish to proceed, pay it ASAP. Not only should this change on your abstract as soon as you pay it, but I would also bring evidence that you did pay it just in case they question this "recent payment" for whatever reason.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:39 PM, +Young+ said:

Yes it will. If it's pending, since you plan on fighting this ticket in approximately five [5] months from now, they will not let you proceed.

If you wish to proceed, pay it ASAP. Not only should this change on your abstract as soon as you pay it, but I would also bring evidence that you did pay it just in case they question this "recent payment" for whatever reason.

I didn't know, thank you for clearing that up.

12 minutes ago, hh1a said:

I didn't know, thank you for clearing that up.

You're welcome. I have seen this multiple times, trust me.

Now, if something like this happens once you're in the 10-day training session and/or during your probationary period, then it's a different ballpark/scenario. However, as of right now, nothing can be 'pending' in order to make it through the hiring process at 180 Livingston Street.

Hi,

On the pre employment letter on the bottom there is an option that states

"  ( ) I decline appointment "

I am not sure what that means?

" Failure to respond will result in your name being removed from the list "

Does this mean your name is permanently removed?

What do you all recommend is the best way to defer or postpone?

Thank You

1 hour ago, hh1a said:

Hi,

On the pre employment letter on the bottom there is an option that states

"  ( ) I decline appointment "

I am not sure what that means?

" Failure to respond will result in your name being removed from the list "

Thank You

" ( ) decline appointment "

It means that if you check it you're not interested in attending or don't want the job.

Yes that means that your name gets removed from the list if you don't respond...but you can always reinstate your name onto the list.

I would call them if you can...if not I would just go to 180 Livingston street and explain why you couldn't show up when they called you.

Mind I ask you....what's your list number? ( please don't forget to hide the last digit or two )

32 minutes ago, train1290 said:

" ( ) decline appointment "

It means that if you check it you're not interested in attending or don't want the job.

Yes that means that your name gets removed from the list if you don't respond...but you can always reinstate your name onto the list.

I would call them if you can...if not I would just go to 180 Livingston street and explain why you couldn't show up when they called you.

Mind I ask you....what's your list number? ( please don't forget to hide the last digit or two )

It's 17XX

Are you sure about "decline appointment"?

Another person told me that it means to delay/postpone until your ready.

This is confusing lol.

3 hours ago, hh1a said:

As per the rules and regulations of the city, your name will be removed from the list until you decide to restore your name back to the list. The easiest way to do this is via e-mail - click here for more details. As far as a recommendation to defer or postpone, based on experience, just don't show up. They process a lot of candidates on a daily basis for various titles and, eventually, they'll figure out who showed up and who didn't show up.

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

I would call them if you can...

If you do have any questions, you can call them at (347) 643 8229/30/31/32 Monday to Friday (except holidays, which includes Black Friday) from about 8 AM to 2 PM.

1 hour ago, hh1a said:

Another person told me that it means to delay/postpone until your ready.

This is confusing...

In my honest opinion, it depends on the circumstances you're in. Keep in mind that, in order to be successful, you have to go through a series of steps which includes (and this is brief) -

-Obtaining a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) if you have not done so already (check out cristcdl.com for some helpful questions)

-Having a relatively clean abstract (less than 4 points, two accidents at max, no suspensions, DUI/DWI, paid tickets etc.) If you're unsure, for New York State residents, you can click here to run it off yourself to see what you have to work with

-Drug test (urinate in a cup)

-Physical (medical examination by their physicians)

-Final Processing

-10-day Training Session out of Zerega (click here for a preview)

-CDL road test (if you do not have your permit) (click here, here and here for a preview)

-One year probationary period

After final processing, you will be encouraged to either take "vacation" or a "leave of absence" from your current employer in the event you do not pass the training since not everyone will make it. In addition, if you choose to delay/postpone, you will be loosing seniority as far as the general pick, your probationary period and for promotional exams such as Dispatcher, Train Operator, etc.

Therefore, it is up to you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. If you have any personal questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message (PM).

Edited by +Young+