B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

2 hours ago, Moody said:

I can confirm, december 9th class was cancelled. And It may be because of the holidays.  I am off the medical hold. The same day they took me off medical hold, I reinstated myself back on or I went to DCAS to reinstate myself immediately.  No rush. I took drug test in november. Im going to call and ask when I gotta take another one. Medical is good for 3 months I heard.

ALSO, I read some of the twu local 100 updated contracts. I am not sure, but I think they are going to move training for bus operators to brooklyn. But I am not sure. I dont understand some of the lingo/mta abbreivations.  I could be wrong.

So even though you were put on medical hold, you still have to reinstate your name? I was given a paper to just drop in anytime after being cleared from my doctor.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

So even though you were put on medical hold, you still have to reinstate your name? I was given a paper to just drop in anytime after being cleared from my doctor.

Are they still calling from this list or did they stop at the moment? What list number are they up to so far?

4 hours ago, train1290 said:

Are they still calling from this list or did they stop at the moment? What list number are they up to so far?

I think they are still calling. Classes have been going on every two weeks minus the upper post about Dec 9th cancellation class. I have no clue what number there up to. 

8 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

Yes. If you get called in for medical but you don't make it to that class date (because youre on hold) you have have to reinstate unless they have another really close training date.  If there isnt another closer training date they will tell you to go to DCAS at 1 centre street. 

Its easy to reinstate. 1 centre street 21st floor, you sign in, she asks whats your list number is and social. You fill out a form, very small basic form. She will look you up, and give you a receipt.

When you get your receipt go back to 180 livingston and give them that reciept. And call 180 Livingston in a week for an update. They'll take a copy of your reinstatement and its proof you did all the right things. 

They're up to 1500s on the list. 

24 minutes ago, sisslims29 said:

I did not know that. So do we reinstate then wait for them to call you and you take in the paper that MTA doctor give to you along with your doctor's clearance letter? By the time I am done with everything I'll probably be in an April class. Hehehehehe

Do things one at a time. You'll get your clearance, as soon as you're cleared you go to window 3, she'll tell you you have to be reinstated which is nothing new. Once you go to dcas and reinstate you'll get your reciept and take that back to 180 livingston. And then go from there. Check with them once a week until you're in.

2 hours ago, Moody said:

Yes. If you get called in for medical but you don't make it to that class date (because youre on hold) you have have to reinstate unless they have another really close training date.  If there isnt another closer training date they will tell you to go to DCAS at 1 centre street.

Its easy to reinstate. 1 centre street 21st floor, you sign in, she asks whats your list number is and social. You fill out a form, very small basic form. She will look you up, and give you a receipt.

When you get your receipt go back to 180 livingston and give them that reciept. And call 180 Livingston in a week for an update. They'll take a copy of your reinstatement and its proof you did all the right things.

They're up to 1500s on the list. 

17 minutes ago, Moody said:

Do things one at a time. You'll get your clearance, as soon as you're cleared you go to window 3, she'll tell you you have to be reinstated which is nothing new. Once you go to dcas and reinstate you'll get your reciept and take that back to 180 livingston. And then go from there. Check with them once a week until you're in.

I'm not here to criticize anybody, however from my perspective, whenever I had to reinstate my name to the list, I just emailed them using the information that was provided here. I understand that they're telling you to restore your name to the list, however now they're making you folks bring your "receipt" to 180 Livingston Street and taking a physical copy of it? Interesting...

In addition, instead of checking in with the "Employment Operations" office once a week or anything to that nature, I would check my status on this Civil Service List Certification page (type either your last name or "Bus Operator" or "07612" in the search box on the top right). As soon as NYC Transit requests a new 'batch' of candidates from DCAS, it will show up on the webpage. Shortly afterwards you folks should be hearing from the "Employment Operations" office for at least another drug (urine) test and possibly more, since the pre-employment paperwork and physicals are good for 90 calendar days.

Edited by +Young+

2 hours ago, +Young+ said:

I'm not here to criticize anybody, however from my perspective, whenever I had to reinstate my name to the list, I just emailed them using the information that was provided here. I understand that they're telling you to restore your name to the list, however now they're making you folks bring your "receipt" to 180 Livingston Street and taking a physical copy of it? Interesting...

In addition, instead of checking in with the "Employment Operations" office once a week or anything to that nature, I would check my status on this Civil Service List Certification page (type either your last name or "Bus Operator" or "07612" in the search box on the top right). As soon as NYC Transit requests a new 'batch' of candidates from DCAS, it will show up on the webpage. Shortly afterwards you folks should be hearing from the "Employment Operations" office for at least another drug (urine) test and possibly more, since the pre-employment paperwork and physicals are good for 90 calendar days.

You don't have to bring in the receipt but its physical proof that they see your reinstatement and there's not going to be a mishap if they ever miss you. Because they have it. Which is good for you and them. They see your serious. 

I'm ready. Been waiting a while. Last year for the mabstoa I was not really ready. But for this one, I'm ready. 

On 11/2/2019 at 12:40 AM, +Young+ said:

This rule applies to all city-wide exams, including for the NYPD.

As far as the second question, since your initial pre-employment was only a few weeks ago, this would still count as one deferment. If you want to double check this, I would type your last name into the search box of this website, which can be found at the top-right hand side of the page. If your name comes up once with a request date of September 18th, 2019, then this will be your first deferment. If you scroll to the right, you'll see that NYC Transit has approximately a month to invite you in and start with the pre-employment process. Therefore, the fact that you deferred twice within a couple of weeks count as one deferment.

Got it? If not, please do not hesitate to ask any specific questions.

Hi Young,

I went to the website you mentioned to check how many times my name has been defered, for the//  request date it says "09/18/2019" // cert date "09/23/2019"

cert expiration date "10/25/2019",  so based on this information how many times have I defered my name?

I ask because, if you recall my post a few days ago about receiving a phone call from 347 643 8223 transit, to come in for pre employment later this week, I don't understand why they would call me in again, since I didn't request to reinstate my name on this list.

so far I was called in Oct 18, Nov 6, and now this week in Dec.

Do you think if I don't show up for pre employment this week, it would be my third and final chance and my name would be permanently removed?

Thanks for your help guys

4 hours ago, Moody said:

You don't have to bring in the receipt but its physical proof that they see your reinstatement and there's not going to be a mishap if they ever miss you. Because they have it. Which is good for you and them. They see your serious.

Interesting...thanks for the heads up!!

1 hour ago, hh1a said:

Hi Young,

I went to the website you mentioned to check how many times my name has been defered, for the//  request date it says "09/18/2019" // cert date "09/23/2019"

cert expiration date "10/25/2019",  so based on this information how many times have I defered my name?

I ask because, if you recall my post a few days ago about receiving a phone call from 347 643 8223 transit, to come in for pre employment later this week, I don't understand why they would call me in again, since I didn't request to reinstate my name on this list.

so far I was called in Oct 18, Nov 6, and now this week in Dec.

Do you think if I don't show up for pre employment this week, it would be my third and final chance and my name would be permanently removed?

Thanks for your help guys

Unfortunately, that website does not show how many times you have deferred your name. To be honest with you, with the fact that the certification expiration date was October 25th, 2019, and why they invited you back in November and this week in December is beyond me.

If you want a direct answer, you have to call DCAS (212-669-1357), speak to a human being and ask to speak to the Certification Unit (aka - the Unit that's in charge of all the active lists for the entire City). I would describe your situation to them, just like you did here, and they will tell you what your status is.

Just a small piece of advice - the normal business hours for DCAS are Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM, except for holidays, such as Christmas, New Years, etc. Therefore, I would call either at 9 AM or shortly after and try to get someone then compared to calling later in the day and waiting longer to talk to a human being. Unfortunately, their automated telephone system does not contain this information.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, +Young+ said:

Interesting...thanks for the heads up!!

Unfortunately, that website does not show how many times you have deferred your name. To be honest with you, with the fact that the certification expiration date was October 25th, 2019, and why they invited you back in November and this week in December is beyond me.

If you want a direct answer, you have to call DCAS (212-669-1357), speak to a human being and ask to speak to the Certification Unit (aka - the Unit that's in charge of all the active lists for the entire City). I would describe your situation to them, just like you did here, and they will tell you what your status is.

Just a small piece of advice - the normal business hours for DCAS are Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM, except for holidays, such as Christmas, New Years, etc. Therefore, I would call either at 9 AM or shortly after and try to get someone then compared to calling later in the day and waiting longer to talk to a human being. Unfortunately, their automated telephone system does not contain this information.

Hi, so I called them this morning and they said that my name is off the list, and that I have (3) three restorations for this exam. They couldn't really explain why I was called three times since October, so I believe the phone call to come down this week must be a mistake or like you said, "trying to give people a chance to come before they have to restore their name, since you get such short notice usually".

Anyone else experience this before?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all after a long journey from getting the call back in august for pre-employment in which i had to go 3 times for throughout the months,today i finally finished training out at eastchester depot and secured my CDL license.As my class was appointed on 11/24,its now 12/26.Its a long journey,mentally and physically being in different boroughs at different times throughout the training.As for the 10 day MTA training,its tough.When you go from never driving a bus before and you have your own regular driving habits they go right out the window on day 1.I passed the training on day 9,i didnt make it on day 7 as when they drop you in midtown on day 6 in the middle of rush hour its a whole different ball game.Things i stress here, read the handouts that @+Young+ has throughout the forum here.Be ahead of the game because everything in those handouts will help you through the whole thing.Also if you can,get your CDL before you get called.It will eliminate a whole headache because your then worrying about you 10 day training and then your worrying about studying that whole undercarriage and engine for that CDL test.My brain was spewing out the last month.If anyone has any questions you can shoot me  a message,i start my line training up in Manhattan tomorrow.

Edited by +Young+
Hyperlinked the "handouts"

2 hours ago, Cactus683 said:

Hey all after a long journey from getting the call back in august for pre-employment in which i had to go 3 times for throughout the months,today i finally finished training out at eastchester depot and secured my CDL license.As my class was appointed on 11/24,its now 12/26.Its a long journey,mentally and physically being in different boroughs at different times throughout the training.As for the 10 day MTA training,its tough.When you go from never driving a bus before and you have your own regular driving habits they go right out the window on day 1.I passed the training on day 9,i didnt make it on day 7 as when they drop you in midtown on day 6 in the middle of rush hour its a whole different ball game.Things i stress here, read the handouts that @+Young+ has throughout the forum here.Be ahead of the game because everything in those handouts will help you through the whole thing.Also if you can,get your CDL before you get called.It will eliminate a whole headache because your then worrying about you 10 day training and then your worrying about studying that whole undercarriage and engine for that CDL test.My brain was spewing out the last month.If anyone has any questions you can shoot me  a message,i start my line training up in Manhattan tomorrow.

Congratulations. I have a question where did you do your day 9 training, which borough?

6 hours ago, train1290 said:

Congratulations. I have a question where did you do your day 9 training, which borough?

My day 9 training started up in up town Manhattan and went down close to Harlem I forget the exact streets it wasn't a bad circuit It's easier than downtown in midtown like on day 7 and 6

4 hours ago, Cactus683 said:

My day 9 training started up in up town Manhattan and went down close to Harlem I forget the exact streets it wasn't a bad circuit It's easier than downtown in midtown like on day 7 and 6

Ok, another question, what do they make you do on qualification days 7, 9, and 10? Do they make you open up the engine compartment and identify parts like pointing them out and describing them? How about parallel parking? Do they make you reverse too?

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

Ok, another question, what do they make you do on qualification days 7, 9, and 10? Do they make you open up the engine compartment and identify parts like pointing them out and describing them? How about parallel parking? Do they make you reverse too?

MTA portion you don't have to open anything, basically looking for leaks underneath.State DMV test for the license they may ask you to look at the engine,it all depends on the examiner,you need to go in there knowing that's whole bus inside out.The MTA will teach you how to parrallel park,offset parking and backing up.Day 6 they take you out downtown to see if you qualify for day 7 and they take you where ever they want that day .

On 12/14/2019 at 11:24 PM, Moody said:

ALSO, I read some of the twu local 100 updated contracts. I am not sure, but I think they are going to move training for bus operators to brooklyn. But I am not sure. I dont understand some of the lingo/mta abbreivations.  I could be wrong.

Mind I ask the source of this information? It's very interesting...

First, have you read this thread? It contains a lot of useful information.

Second, you have three chances to qualify: Days 6 and 7 (first shot), Day 9 (second shot) and Day 10 (third and final shot). As stated in the prior post, Day 6 will be driving in Lower Manhattan around the Union Square area, Day 7 will be at the discretion of the Superintendent. For Day 7, they make you parallel park, reverse the bus in a straight line and do the pre-trip (click here and refer to the last two images for the pre-trip for Day 7).

As far as the engine compartment, that's only if you have a permit and if you have to take your road test. In addition, if you click here, not only do they give you a handout, but they also share certain acronyms to help you memorize the information. Just like with the last two pages of the handouts you have PAW, GOAT and CAT, they have more acronyms to help you remember the information.

For Day 9, there is no parallel parking, no pre-trip, no reverse. Instead, if you look at posts 5399 and 5400 of the B/O 4600 thread, the route is self-explanatory. As a piece of advice, if you're familiar with the route, either via a bicycle or in a car, I think you'll have a better shot qualifying, especially since you'll know what turns to make, when to use the "Stop, Pop and Go" feature, etc.

For Day 10, which will be with two superintendents, it will be on the local streets and on the highways, with a few bus stops here and there. If you happen to go to Day 10, just forget about the second Superintendent, don't get nervous, take a deep breath, and you'll be fine.

40 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Mind I ask the source of this information? It's very interesting...

First, have you read this thread? It contains a lot of useful information.

Second, you have three chances to qualify: Days 6 and 7 (first shot), Day 9 (second shot) and Day 10 (third and final shot). As stated in the prior post, Day 6 will be driving in Lower Manhattan around the Union Square area, Day 7 will be at the discretion of the Superintendent. For Day 7, they make you parallel park, reverse the bus in a straight line and do the pre-trip (click here and refer to the last two images for the pre-trip for Day 7).

As far as the engine compartment, that's only if you have a permit and if you have to take your road test. In addition, if you click here, not only do they give you a handout, but they also share certain acronyms to help you memorize the information. Just like with the last two pages of the handouts you have PAW, GOAT and CAT, they have more acronyms to help you remember the information.

For Day 9, there is no parallel parking, no pre-trip, no reverse. Instead, if you look at posts 5399 and 5400 of the B/O 4600 thread, the route is self-explanatory. As a piece of advice, if you're familiar with the route, either via a bicycle or in a car, I think you'll have a better shot qualifying, especially since you'll know what turns to make, when to use the "Stop, Pop and Go" feature, etc.

For Day 10, which will be with two superintendents, it will be on the local streets and on the highways, with a few bus stops here and there. If you happen to go to Day 10, just forget about the second Superintendent, don't get nervous, take a deep breath, and you'll be fine.

Memorandum of Agreement & Departmental agreements (PDF)

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/2019_moa__departmentals_.pdf

Young just look the bus sections. Its in there.

I called this past sunday ( December 29, 2019) and they're up to list number 1532 last appointed. Are they still calling from this list at the moment? Do they call in number order, example 1 then 2 then 3 like that, or do they jump in random order?

As of the current moment, they are, and they do call in list number order. However, for those of you who are unaware, they have extended the prior list, B/O Exam 4600, for one more year, with the new expiration date being January 6th, 2021. Therefore, the next time NYC Transit's Human Resources Office requests the next "batch" or "group" of names from DCAS, those from the B/O 4600 list will receive first priority, followed by the folks from this list.

(As far as when the "next time" will take place - you can click here and type "Bus Operator" in the search box on the top right, followed by pressing enter.)

As a friendly reminder, although they are up to the 1500's as far as being appointed, for those on the prior list and this list, if they missed their original appointment for whatever reason, they have each and every right to restore their name to the list. As a result, since your list number remains the same for the duration of the list, those who have a smaller list number, such as those folks whose list number consists of only two or three digits, will be called first before processing those whose list number is higher than 1532, regardless if you already submitted paperwork and took a drug test.

Got it? If not, let us know...

Edited by +Young+

On 12/27/2019 at 12:45 PM, Moody said:

Memorandum of Agreement & Departmental agreements (PDF)

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/2019_moa__departmentals_.pdf

Young just look the bus sections. Its in there.

This is the quote on page 17 of the PDF:

2. The parties agree to create a Joint Labor-Management Committee to continue discussions to explore an alternative training site for TAS [TA Surface] to a Brooklyn Facility such as P.S. 248.

This almost certainly has absolutely nothing to do with the 10-Day Training program for new bus operators at Zerega.

I work out of Yukon Depot on Staten Island and our union, ATU 726 has negotiated with DOB management to have two bi-annual classroom training for SI Division Bus Operators at Charleston Depot so we do not have to go either to Zerega or Spring Creek Depot. This was done for convenience, TWU-100 is likely seeking a similar accommodation for their members.

16 hours ago, +Young+ said:

As of the current moment, they are, and they do call in list number order. However, for those of you who are unaware, they have extended the prior list, B/O Exam 4600, for one more year, with the new expiration date being January 6th, 2021. Therefore, the next time NYC Transit's Human Resources Office requests the next "batch" or "group" of names from DCAS, those from the B/O 4600 list will receive first priority, followed by the folks from this list.

(As far as when the "next time" will take place - you can click here and type "Bus Operator" in the search box on the top right, followed by pressing enter.)

As a friendly reminder, although they are up to the 1500's as far as being appointed, for those on the prior list and this list, if they missed their original appointment for whatever reason, they have each and every right to restore their name to the list. As a result, since your list number remains the same for the duration of the list, those who have a smaller list number, such as those folks whose list number consists of only two or three digits, will be called first before processing those whose list number is higher than 1532, regardless if you already submitted paperwork and took a drug test.

Got it? If not, let us know...

I understand young thank you very much for your time. Another question, how many are left on the bus operator exam 4600 list? How many people are left of that list?

34 minutes ago, train1290 said:

I understand young thank you very much for your time. Another question, how many are left on the bus operator exam 4600 list? How many people are left of that list?

To my understanding, they already went through the 4600 list. However, like I previously said, those who missed their appointment for whatever reason have each and every right to restore their name back to the list. How many people are we specifically talking about for the prior list? I honestly don't know for sure. Only DCAS has the specific answer, and I'm sure they just don't give it out to "anybody."

Just like for this list, your list number remains the same for the entire duration of the list. Therefore, although they are up to the 1500's, or 1532 (just like how you can say "tomato" two different ways), if someone whose list number is smaller than 1532 decides to restore their name to the list, they have each and every right to do so. As a result, when the Human Resources Dept. gets the next "batch" or "group" of people from DCAS, they will have priority over those whose list numbers are in between 1532 and 1599, the 1600's, the 1700's, etc. Again, how many people are we specifically talking about for this list? I honestly don't know for sure. Only DCAS has the specific answer, and I'm sure they just don't give it out to "anybody."

Edited by +Young+
Eliminated "educated guess"

4 hours ago, +Young+ said:

To my understanding, they already went through the 4600 list. However, like I previously said, those who missed their appointment for whatever reason have each and every right to restore their name back to the list. How many people are we specifically talking about for the prior list? I honestly don't know for sure. Only DCAS has the specific answer, and I'm sure they just don't give it out to "anybody."

Just like for this list, your list number remains the same for the entire duration of the list. Therefore, although they are up to the 1500's, or 1532 (just like how you can say "tomato" two different ways), if someone whose list number is smaller than 1532 decides to restore their name to the list, they have each and every right to do so. As a result, when the Human Resources Dept. gets the next "batch" or "group" of people from DCAS, they will have priority over those whose list numbers are in between 1532 and 1599, the 1600's, the 1700's, etc. Again, how many people are we specifically talking about for this list? I honestly don't know for sure. Only DCAS has the specific answer, and I'm sure they just don't give it out to "anybody."

This is b.s. I got called in for the nov 25th class. I didn't make it cause I was on medical hold. I did the sleep apnea for 1 month and then reinstate myself that day when I get cleared. I even got a letter from dcas stating that I am back on the list.

But I called today and she said they don't expect another class for 7612 until maybe end of February or March. So that means my medical clearance is no longer valid or it will expire. 

And once it expires because when you're off medical hold you have 2 months. So you have to do the same process again. This is such a scam. 

I'm back on the list, my medical clearance is good till February. But no class till around March. This is nonsense. I almost through the phone. 

And now they're calling off 4600. I'm tired of this. I'll give it 2 weeks and I'm done with this mta employment nonsense. I waited almost 15 hrs the day before I got cleared medical hold. Paid for parking 3 times like 60 dollars and thats not even including the sleep study tests and the machine and the time i wasted not going to work. 

And now this..