B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer an earlier question: only NYCT gives the multiple choice test & the BOSS. 

NYC Bus and MABSTOA gives only the BOSS and they hire much quicker. 

NJ Transit is hiring as well. From the day you mail in your application, you can get hired within two months.. 

Good Luck All! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 12:43 AM, mrem37 said:

To answer an earlier question: only NYCT gives the multiple choice test & the BOSS. 

NYC MTA Bus and MABSTOA gives only the BOSS and they hire much quicker. 

NJ Transit is hiring as well. From the day you mail in your application, you can get hired within two months.. 

Good Luck All! 

Please note the correction above.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken multiple boss exams in a span of a couple of months ? Some people like me will take more than 1 boss exam. Took one in december, and now I got one in a couple weeks. I emailed the exams unit to see whats up.  I didn't get any results for the boss exam. Some people say you get results back for the boss exam, and some others say they never received a result for the boss exam, and just get to the pre-employment phase when its time.

29 minutes ago, Moody said:

Has anyone taken multiple boss exams in a span of a couple of months ? Some people like me will take more than 1 boss exam. Took one in december, and now I got one in a couple weeks. I emailed the exams unit to see whats up.  I didn't get any results for the boss exam. Some people say you get results back for the boss exam, and some others say they never received a result for the boss exam, and just get to the pre-employment phase when its time.

If you pass the BOSS, You’ll only get a Congratulations letter and a list number correspond to the exam you took it for.

3 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

If you pass the BOSS, You’ll only get a Congratulations letter and a list number correspond to the exam you took it for.

I got a reply from exams unit. 

Exams Unit

You do not have to take the exam again. It takes a year sometimes longer before you receive the results.

I emailed them a follow up just to make sure theres no error. I'd devastated if I applied for no reason.

Edited by Moody

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 11:02 AM, MTA MAC said:

Any word on when the scores will come out for this exam?

I just called the DCAS automated system and, out of 8,221 candidates for Bus Operator Exam 4600, the last candidate appointed was list number 5,786, which means that they're about 70% through the list. Therefore, if I had to take an educated, it's not going to be out for at least another year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Folks, I just found something interesting which is worth noting:

I was checking out this website and I noticed that the filing for the next NYC Transit Bus Operator exam is this August, 43 days away from today.

Therefore, since not all of us are going to take the BOSS test on the same day, especially if it's held at 180 Livingston Street, I'm really wondering how many people passed this exam to begin with (and don't forget about the BOSS as well)...

On 7/3/2018 at 9:37 PM, +Young+ said:

Folks, I just found something interesting which is worth noting:

I was checking out this website and I noticed that the filing for the next NYC Transit Bus Operator exam is this August, 43 days away from today.

Therefore, since not all of us are going to take the BOSS test on the same day, especially if it's held at 180 Livingston Street, I'm really wondering how many people passed this exam to begin with (and don't forget about the BOSS as well)...

Yeah i just look as well and that’s interesting how they’re already putting out another exam for both mabstoa and nyct. When they haven’t even started calling from either one. mabstoa i have a list number in 2** so i would know if they reach out for that. 

What is MTA up to I wonder! 

21 minutes ago, DrewMania said:

What is MTA up to I wonder! 

Personally, I have a "gut" feeling that not a lot of people passed Exam 7612, even before administering the 'BOSS' exam. Here's why, at least from my perspective:

I took Exam 2613 and I got an 88.75%. I took Exam 4600 and I got a 95%. I took Exam 7612 and I got a 75%, with 20 incorrect questions. Since I got a low score, I went to the Protest session to find out how I messed up so bad. Within the 2 hours that we were given for the Protest, I was able to argue half of my incorrect answers, including at least one of the memorization questions. I know the final decision is up to the Test Validation Board (TVB) (scroll to the bottom of the post and read the next post), however we'll see what happens when the list comes out. If my final score is higher than 75%, I'll know that the Test Validation Board (TVB) agreed with me as far as some of my incorrect answers were concerned.

Edited by +Young+

55 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Personally, I have a "gut" feeling that not a lot of people passed Exam 7612, even before administering the 'BOSS' exam. Here's why, at least from my perspective:

I took Exam 2613 and I got an 88.75%. I took Exam 4600 and I got a 95%. I took Exam 7612 and I got a 75%, with 20 incorrect questions. Since I got a low score, I went to the Protest session to find out how I messed up so bad. Within the 2 hours that we were given for the Protest, I was able to argue half of my incorrect answers, including at least one of the memorization questions. I know the final decision is up to the Test Validation Board (TVB) (scroll to the bottom of the post and read the next post), however we'll see what happens when the list comes out. If my final score is higher than 75%, I'll know that the Test Validation Board (TVB) agreed with me as far as some of my incorrect answers were concerned.

I can understand that, it was kinda hard...but why (OA) as well? They didn't even establish a list for exam #7105. Also, aren't they still calling from exam# 4105?

They are just covering themselves in advance. Instead of waiting the last minute to open up application for new hire, they rather release applications after another for employment security. 

Right now a lot of the old timers are retiring, and we have bus operators currently who are seeking for higher positions. The new generation of Bus operators are pretty much young and many are seeking to get out of the "Seat". 

3 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

They are just covering themselves in advance. Instead of waiting the last minute to open up application for new hire, they rather release applications after another for employment security. 

Right now a lot of the old timers are retiring, and we have bus operators currently who are seeking for higher positions. The new generation of Bus operators are pretty much young and many are seeking to get out of the "Seat". 

What advancement opportunities are there aside from I'm guessing dispatcher? Are the promotions civil service?

1 minute ago, MTA-Hopeful said:

What advancement opportunities are there aside from I'm guessing dispatcher? Are the promotions civil service?

Promotional test to "Train Operators" ummm it all depends. So far I witness a few B/O skip dispatcher and became Supt for the 7 day training...But They had 11+ years on the job as an bus operator.

11 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Promotional test to "Train Operators" ummm it all depends. So far I witness a few B/O skip dispatcher and became Supt for the 7 day training...But They had 11+ years on the job as an bus operator.

Wow! I always thought it was a prerequisite to be a dispatcher first. You can become a supt depending on how long you were a bus operator?

1 minute ago, msmcmillan said:

Wow! I always thought it was a prerequisite to be a dispatcher first. You can become a supt depending on how long you were a bus operator?

Reference Preferences..... Not guaranteed, but so far I know 3 that are currently Supt and came straight out of the  B/O seat without being a dispatcher.  

48 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Reference Preferences..... Not guaranteed, but so far I know 3 that are currently Supt and came straight out of the  B/O seat without being a dispatcher.  

Wow.