B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Also check out the YouTube tutorials. A few members on here have them posted. However, all training is suspended at this time.  Everyone here be safe. Pray for our brothers and sisters who are at the forefront working on these lines. Whether it’s surface-subways and buses  (NYCT) and (NYCT) and (MTA) bus. EVERYONE BE SAFE. 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

If you are unsure where to find the YouTube tutorials, click here. I would also encourage you folks to be as familiar as possible with the handouts as well. I know a few people out there who made it on Day 7 because of these handouts.

Although all training is currently suspended, the Human Resources Office at 180 Livingston Street and the Dept. of Motor Vehicles are temporarily closed, one of the things which is still open is the CristCDL website! Therefore, for those of you who still have to get their Commercial Learner's Permit (depending on your list number), you can take advantage of this time to start reading the manual, which is available here, and to start tackling those questions, which can easily be done in the comfort of your home, apartment, etc.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Stay safe and healthy!!

Edited by +Young+

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

If you are unsure where to find the YouTube tutorials, click here. I would also encourage you folks to be as familiar as possible with the handouts as well. I know a few people out there who made it on Day 7 because of these handouts.

Although all training is currently suspended, the Human Resources Office at 180 Livingston Street and the Dept. of Motor Vehicles are temporarily closed, one of the things which is still open is the CristCDL website! Therefore, for those of you who still have to get their Commercial Learner's Permit (depending on your list number), you can take advantage of this time to start reading the manual, which is available here, and to start tackling those questions, which can easily be done in the comfort of your home, apartment, etc.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Stay safe and healthy!!

Young, do you think the DMV will allow me to renew my CDL permit after May 17 a second time? ( I already Renewed it). And another thing...do you think they'll let me take my road test with an expired CDL permit? , OR do I have to take the exams all over again?

27 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Young, do you think the DMV will allow me to renew my CDL permit after May 17 a second time? ( I already Renewed it). And another thing...do you think they'll let me take my road test with an expired CDL permit? , OR do I have to take the exams all over again?

Generally speaking, you would have to take the exams all over again. They will definitely not allow you to take the road test with an expired CLP (Commercial Learners Permit).

However, despite the epidemic that's going on, I don't know how much longer your CLP will be valid for past the May 17th deadline. If I was you, I would check the DMV website periodically, since there are a lot of other people who are in a similar situation as you. In addition, I would read the manual and practice going over those questions, since I don't know how backlogged DMV is going to be with their road tests, how backlogged 180 Livingston Street is going to be with all of these candidates that they were supposed to send to training, in addition to having them take another drug test, etc.

12 hours ago, train1290 said:

The dmv only allows you to renew your cdl permit 1 time. And you have to renew it in person. It doesnt let you renew it online. So you will have to take the cdl permit exam over again. But its actually not a bad thing. Because its basically a refresher.  My cdl permit expired march 12th. Nothing has changed with the exams. The cristcdl website has the same questions 90 percent of the time. If anything the dmv questions are easier than cristcdl.  

Btw I renewed my cdl permit like March 11th. That very afternoon I had the call to come in for training at zerega for March 30th. The first thing she said was hi we would like to invite you to come in to training for bus operator on March 30th, BUT your cdl permit is expiring March 12, and then I told her no worries I just renewed just now from the DMV. She said excellent come in March 30th. 

Obviously its been postponed.  DMV is not going to open until maybe April 17th.  Hopefully by then we will hear back from zerega. 

Zerega had a March 16 training class and even when they postponed the March 30th class a week before they were still in training. So I'm guessing it's because the DMV is closed. And they want to social distance everyone. Which is a good idea. Glad we got some scoops on training and im reading the hand outs young posted.

Do you really have to carry the rule book everywhere ? I thought that was hilarious.

5 hours ago, Moody said:

Btw I renewed my cdl permit like March 11th. That very afternoon I had the call to come in for training at zerega for March 30th. The first thing she said was hi we would like to invite you to come in to training for bus operator on March 30th, BUT your cdl permit is expiring March 12, and then I told her no worries I just renewed just now from the DMV. She said excellent come in March 30th. 

Obviously its been postponed.  DMV is not going to open until maybe April 17th.  Hopefully by then we will hear back from zerega. 

Zerega had a March 16 training class and even when they postponed the March 30th class a week before they were still in training. So I'm guessing it's because the DMV is closed. And they want to social distance everyone. Which is a good idea. Glad we got some scoops on training and im reading the hand outs young posted.

Do you really have to carry the rule book everywhere ? I thought that was hilarious.

thanks for letting us know moody...keep us posted. where did you hear of DMV opening back up possibly April 17? BTW whats your list number? Thanks in advance

23 hours ago, train1290 said:

thanks for letting us know moody...keep us posted. where did you hear of DMV opening back up possibly April 17? BTW whats your list number? Thanks in advance

Moody's list number is 14xx. As far as DMV is concerned, if you read this Executive Order issued by Governor Andrew Cuomo, which is in effect until April 19th, 2020, only DMV on-line transactions will be permitted. In addition, if you look at the New York DMV website, on the top in red it says "...Traffic Violation Bureaus are adjourned through April 17th."

As this epidemic unfolds, especially after Easter Sunday, which falls on April 12th, hopefully our elected officials will give a critical update as far as this is concerned.

Stay safe and healthy!! 

Edited by +Young+
Typographical correction

23 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Moody's list number is 14xx. As far as DMV is concerned, if you read this Executive Order issued by Governor Andrew Cuomo, which is in effect until April 19th, 2020, only DMV on-line transactions will be permitted. In addition, if you look at the New York DMV website, on the top in red it says "...Traffic Violation Bureaus are adjourned through April 17th."

As this epidemic unfolds, especially after Easter Sunday, which falls on April 12th, hopefully our elected officials will give a critical update as far as this is concerned.

Stay safe and healthy!! 

Thank you +young+

Edited by +Young+
Typographical correction

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

Did you do you 7 day training for bus operator, or no?

They did, and from what I read, those who qualified went to different depots for training on the New Flyers and Novas, and, as per this post, since Days 11 and beyond include people being in close proximity to each other, in the form of a regular classroom, it made sense to send them home today, which was supposed to be Day 11. Even during line training, regardless of who physically operates the bus, if either the trainer or the trainee *coughs* for whatever reason, then...(I'm not going to elaborate any further.)

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

Thank you +young+

You're welcome.

Edited by +Young+

22 hours ago, train1290 said:

Did you do you 7 day training for bus operator, or no?

We all qualified to drive.. Got fitted for uniforms...signed more papers..learned a lot more things from experienced veteran drivers  ect.. Just have to wait. its ok though. 

3 hours ago, trigger said:

We all qualified to drive.. Got fitted for uniforms...signed more papers..learned a lot more things from experienced veteran drivers  ect.. Just have to wait. its ok though. 

Ok great, where was Day 7 for you...which borough?

14 hours ago, trigger said:

Good luck on being fitted for uniforms. First off the order will be incorrect. Secondly, they won’t fit. 

Is there a way to get a heads up on the bus operator or mta jargon ? 

Like what does RTO mean ? What's a swing mean ? What's the word for abbreviations for over time and overtime earned ? What's a run ?  Stuff like that. 

6 hours ago, Moody said:

Is there a way to get a heads up on the bus operator or mta jargon ?

Like what does RTO mean ? What's a swing mean ? What's the word for abbreviations for over time and overtime earned ? What's a run ?  Stuff like that. 

RTO = Rapid Transit Operations (Train Operators, Conductors, etc.)

As far as the rest of your questions, have you read this thread? After you have done so, if you still have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:43 AM, lornaevo said:

Good luck on being fitted for uniforms. First off the order will be incorrect. Secondly, they won’t fit. 

It's LIKELY but when I was fitted I got my shipment in batches since certain items were not in stock. Everything was the right size but I didn't get the right caps.

43 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Guys, does any one know if the employment center is open? ( 180 Livingston street)

I highly doubt it. During non-business hours, I periodically call Ms. Rivera's phone number (click here for the number), and her answering machine keeps saying over and over again that they will re-open on March 30th, 2020 which clearly hasn't happened.

If you want to double check, I would try to give them a call (347-643-8229/30/31/32) during business hours and see if you get an answer. If you're unsuccessful, then at least you did not waste your time going there for nothing.

On 4/2/2020 at 7:15 AM, Cactus683 said:

How many options did they have just out if curiosity,when I picked mine it was 3 Manhattan and one Bronx 

We did not get to do a pick yet...CLass 3/16/2020 got sent home for two weeks. They said they wanted to wait till dmv opens and to also keep us safe. Part of the class still has permits so they could not continue. So for the one that have cdl already we are just waiting to go to union and to do a pick and start line training.  

Was Tuskegee and or Mother Claire in Manhattan on the 3 in manhattan you had for options?