B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Princess03 said:

mta will pay for you to get your cdl license. all you need is your permit. I myself, and 20+ other students all only had out permits and obtained our actually license through the Job. 

I agree with this - why pay for CDL training when an agency will pay you to get your license?  If you are skilled enough to get through the 10-day training, you will be qualified enough to pass the DMV road test. 

1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

I agree with this - why pay for CDL training when an agency will pay you to get your license?  If you are skilled enough to get through the 10-day training, you will be qualified enough to pass the DMV road test. 

I was slapping myself in the face for not getting my cdl before I got called for transit,but in the end as long as you study hard for that pretrip,which is the worst part of the test in my opinion you will be fine.Transit teaches you all the tricks while your out in eastchester practicing.

8 hours ago, Cactus683 said:

I was slapping myself in the face for not getting my cdl before I got called for transit,but in the end as long as you study hard for that pretrip,which is the worst part of the test in my opinion you will be fine.Transit teaches you all the tricks while your out in eastchester practicing.

Amen! If you need some help to prepare for your road test, I would encourage you to click here. I also posted another video in the second post of that particular thread, so make sure you view it, which will help you a lot with your pre-trip inspection!!

In addition, if you need help getting through the 10-Day training session, don't forget about the handouts!! Just note that the last two images contain the pre-trip checkoff list for Day 4, and possibly Day 7 of the 10-Day training session.

Finally, if anyone wants a "sneak peak" at what the pre-trip inspection contains for the 10-Day training session, I would encourage you to check out this, this and this video. Although I initially posted these videos on YouTube, credit goes to @Natalie for initially recording them during her 10-Day training session, which took place last month.

Good luck!!

On 10/31/2020 at 2:11 PM, Cactus683 said:

The Pretrip is all about memorization of course, but it's also about doing it confidently so that the DMV examiner thinks you know what you're talking about.  The other trick is to be ready to start anywhere and not get flustered - we had one woman at our place who the examiner asked to start her inspection outside the bus, and when she got to the in-cab inspection she forgot to do the static brake test and failed (she later passed on her next try).  

I am a new operator in line training from the 9/13 class from list 9100. During the qualification period, some superintendents aren’t focused on the pre trip. Some do a very light version, compared to the dmv, and some may not even do it at all. If you have your license, it will be easy for you, but if you have your permit, study that pre trip in detail ASAP because when it comes time to take your road test if you can’t pass your pre trip you ain’t moving the bus at all. No matter how perfect you are with your maneuvers and driving the bus, failure to pass the pre trip isn’t going to get you anywhere. 

When you’re qualifying, just worry about learning how to drive safely, and following the superintendents instructions. Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes from other students. Once you get to eastchester for road test prep, study that pre trip all the time. When you’re there and when you’re at home. The more work you put in towards the beginning the easier it will be when it comes time for your test. Surround yourself with good students who are also focused on passing the first time. You will support each other and get through it together. I was the last guy to go on my test day and the students I got closest to during my time there all went before me. We were all nervous but we knew we could do it and once we all started coming back one after another with our passing slips in our hand it’s a great feeling. Mr. Amos is the man to listen to at eastchester. He was the biggest help in my opinion. Some of the superintendents try to help more than others but Mr. Amos really gives everyone his attention and can give you extra help if you’re struggling. 

Good luck to everyone and focus on one step at a time. Once you qualified then focus on tackling that road test. 

57 minutes ago, Biggington said:

I am a new operator in line training from the 9/13 class from list 9100. During the qualification period, some superintendents aren’t focused on the pre trip. Some do a very light version, compared to the dmv, and some may not even do it at all. If you have your license, it will be easy for you, but if you have your permit, study that pre trip in detail ASAP because when it comes time to take your road test if you can’t pass your pre trip you ain’t moving the bus at all. No matter how perfect you are with your maneuvers and driving the bus, failure to pass the pre trip isn’t going to get you anywhere. 

When you’re qualifying, just worry about learning how to drive safely, and following the superintendents instructions. Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes from other students. Once you get to eastchester for road test prep, study that pre trip all the time. When you’re there and when you’re at home. The more work you put in towards the beginning the easier it will be when it comes time for your test. Surround yourself with good students who are also focused on passing the first time. You will support each other and get through it together. I was the last guy to go on my test day and the students I got closest to during my time there all went before me. We were all nervous but we knew we could do it and once we all started coming back one after another with our passing slips in our hand it’s a great feeling. Mr. Amos is the man to listen to at eastchester. He was the biggest help in my opinion. Some of the superintendents try to help more than others but Mr. Amos really gives everyone his attention and can give you extra help if you’re struggling. 

Good luck to everyone and focus on one step at a time. Once you qualified then focus on tackling that road test. 

Yes i agree 100% with everything you said. Mr. Amos is definitely the guy to go to when u need help. Also, yes pre trip is important but you still need to get your reps in with the off set, parallel parking, etc. 4 people in my class failed because they were so focused on the pretrip. when it was time for the driving portion, they fumbled badly.

20 hours ago, Bsalick1992 said:

So I start my class on nov 8 Sunday I am super excited but so nervous I never drove a vehicle bigger than my suv and I just hope everything goes smooth 

Congrats, whats your list number if you dont mind me asking and what list are getting called off of? ( please dont forget to hide the last digit or two of your list number for privacy).

7 minutes ago, Princess03 said:

Yes i agree 100% with everything you said. Mr. Amos is definitely the guy to go to when u need help. Also, yes pre trip is important but you still need to get your reps in with the off set, parallel parking, etc. 4 people in my class failed because they were so focused on the pretrip. when it was time for the driving portion, they fumbled badly.

What did they fail on, the 7 day training, or, the Road test?

2 hours ago, Biggington said:

Have you folks looked at this video? It should help, as it did with other people (read the YouTube comments and you'll see for yourself).

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

What did they fail on, the 7 day training, or, the Road test?

From what I've read, it sounds like the road test. If you have to go to Days 8, 9 and/or 10 of the initial training session, the last three don't include the pre-trip, backing up and parallel parking. Just straight driving, including the stop, pop and go on Lexington Avenue!!

Edited by +Young+

Hey everyone did any one have a issue on being my passed up on the list I’m 22*** and still waiting to do the drug test. I was told there up to 24** on the list. Plus I heard there up to exam list 9100 and people already got there drug that are on that list 

thanks

On 11/3/2020 at 6:43 AM, Princess03 said:

They all failed on the road test, both times.

How often do they practice the skills test (backup, offset and parallel parking)?  If you're not doing that every working day in the week or two leading up to the road test, I could see why people fail it.  I found the backup and offset to be pretty easy once you got the hang of it, but parallel parking a 40-foot bus in a 55-foot 'box' takes time to get it down so you can do it consistently. 

Edited by RailBus63

3 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

How often do they practice the skills test (backup, offset and parallel parking)?  If you're not doing that every working day in the week or two leading up to the road test, I could see why people fail it.  I found the backup and offset to be pretty easy once you got the hang of it, but parallel parking a 40-foot bus in a 55-foot 'box' takes time to get it down so you can do it consistently. 

Let me explain how it works at Eastchester.

You get about a week or two to practice doing the pre-trips, straight backing, offset backing, parallel parking and straight line stuff. They do about 5 road tests a day give or take at the same time. You usually get your road test date the first day you report to Eastchester. Those that pass day 7 are usually the first to test while the day 9 people go right after. Day 10 folks usually follow after. 

If you're waiting to road test, practice as many times as you need while there are buses available. Sometimes you will be taken out on the road to go over the actual road test route, including the shortened version when traffic may become problematic.

5 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

You get about a week or two to practice doing the pre-trips, straight backing, offset backing, parallel parking and straight line stuff. They do about 5 road tests a day give or take at the same time. You usually get your road test date the first day you report to Eastchester. Those that pass day 7 are usually the first to test while the day 9 people go right after. Day 10 folks usually follow after. 

If you're waiting to road test, practice as many times as you need while there are buses available. Sometimes you will be taken out on the road to go over the actual road test route, including the shortened version when traffic may become problematic.

Another reason to get the CDL on your own so once you pass the 7 day training session, the jobs yours providing you survive the 1 year probabtion.

6 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Speaking of Eastchester, does anybody have any of the "handouts" that they give to prepare you folks for the road test? I would love to add them to the "handouts" that I posted in this thread/topic...let me know.

Can a portion of the road test route be seen in the videos in this thread/topic? One of the things which helped me pass my CDL road tests back in 2014 and 2015 was that, after the instructor took me to the old road test site in Maspeth at least twice, I must have done that route at least ten times with my car, trying to "memorize" what to say, what to look out for, etc. Therefore, depending on where you live and/or your circumstances, if you're able to do it, from my perspective, it'll do nothing but help you on your road test!!

23 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Speaking of Eastchester, does anybody have any of the "handouts" that they give to prepare you folks for the road test? I would love to add them to the "handouts" that I posted in this thread/topic...let me know.

Can a portion of the road test route be seen in the videos in this thread/topic? One of the things which helped me pass my CDL road tests back in 2014 and 2015 was that, after the instructor took me to the old road test site in Maspeth at least twice, I must have done that route at least ten times with my car, trying to "memorize" what to say, what to look out for, etc. Therefore, depending on where you live and/or your circumstances, if you're able to do it, from my perspective, it'll do nothing but help you on your road test!!

I still have all the handouts from my training days, I'll see about scanning the pages from them if you'd like.

And yes, that video is almost the exact same route (shortened) you take on the road test in Co-op City. MTA has a unique road test location in the Bronx since it begins and ends within the depot. You do the pre-trip and the maneuvers in the depot then head out for the road portion. People sometimes bomb their first attempt clipping the curb making the left out of Eastchester.

Edited by SoSpectacular

On 5/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, SoSpectacular said:

You only have to report any pending moving violation tickets, such as the ones that get you points or your license suspended. Camera tickets are a gray area because those go to whoever owns the car and not the driver so they don't really go on your abstract. If they're not pending, then you're good. I didn't have to mention a ticket I got back in May 2017 because it was already taken care of by the time I got to pre-employment.

Hi

I am on hold because when I submitted my pre-employment about a month ago I couldn't continue until I got the cdl permit and resolved a pending ticket.

I had a pending moving violation (2 points) that I paid the fee for online a few days ago and now that ticket is closed. This violation happened on Feb 2019.

I have my cdl permit, do I still need to include this ticket on my pre-employment?

When they run my abstract will it show that my pending ticket was paid for and now it's not pending anymore?

I would like to submit proof that I paid my ticket but all I have is the amount I paid and a confirmation number, dmv never sent me an email as it said it would.

Thank You

2 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

I still have all the handouts from my training days, I'll see about scanning the pages from them if you'd like.

Thank you!! If you don't have a scanner, your local office supply store, such as Staples, has one and they charge a nominal fee. I also sent you a Private Message (PM) as well.

37 minutes ago, hh1a said:

Hi

I am on hold because when I submitted my pre-employment about a month ago I couldn't continue until I got the cdl permit and resolved a pending ticket.

I had a pending moving violation (2 points) that I paid the fee for online a few days ago and now that ticket is closed. This violation happened on Feb 2019.

I have my cdl permit, do I still need to include this ticket on my pre-employment?

When they run my abstract will it show that my pending ticket was paid for and now it's not pending anymore?

I would like to submit proof that I paid my ticket but all I have is the amount I paid and a confirmation number, dmv never sent me an email as it said it would.

Thank You

You still need to include the ticket in the pre-employment paperwork. When they run your abstract again, it should show that your former "pending ticket" was paid. If you are still unsure about this, click here to run off your abstract yourself. Just note that they run the "Standard Driving Abstract," so you don't have to worry about your "Lifetime Abstract" or anything to that nature.

You should not need to submit proof since the HR Department relies on your abstract from DMV. However, it would be a good idea to keep your confirmation number and the amount you paid in a safe place, in the event you need it in the future for whatever reason.

Good luck!!

On 11/3/2020 at 9:34 AM, Slems said:

Hey everyone did any one have a issue on being my passed up on the list I’m 22*** and still waiting to do the drug test. I was told there up to 24** on the list.

thanks

If you need someone to talk to in regards to this issue, and if the folks at the (347) 643 8229/30/31/32 phone number are giving you the "runaround," I would encourage you to get a hold of the following people:

-Ms. Patricia A. Lodge, the Vice President of Human Resources (her contact information is below)

-Emma Marie Rivera, the Manager of Employment Operations (click here for her information)

-The Office of the President, located out of 2 Broadway, at 646-252-5800.

Good luck!!

VP Lodge Business Card.jpg