B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

On 11/12/2020 at 10:22 PM, +Young+ said:

If you need someone to talk to in regards to this issue, and if the folks at the (347) 643 8229/30/31/32 phone number are giving you the "runaround," I would encourage you to get a hold of the following people:

-Ms. Patricia A. Lodge, the Vice President of Human Resources (her contact information is below)

-Emma Marie Rivera, the Manager of Employment Operations (click here for her information)

-The Office of the President, located out of 2 Broadway, at 646-252-5800.

Good luck!!

VP Lodge Business Card.jpg

Thank you Young I actually contacted her and Ronald but  keep getting tossed around to all different people. But Ronald saint jean I heard is the top guy. He took my info but was told there waiting on new classes to be scheduled. Have you heard anything about new classes? 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, train1290 said:

Slems, where did you hear that theyre up in the 2400s off of this list? (7612) Thanks in advance.

I called about 2 weeks ago and was told there up 2400s I’ve been tossed around in circles talking to all different people at HR. I got in touch with Ronald saint jean and was told there waiting for the department of bus to schedule classes. I was told they where going to have a class on November 8th but limited spots where available 

9 hours ago, Slems said:

I called about 2 weeks ago and was told there up 2400s I’ve been tossed around in circles talking to all different people at HR. I got in touch with Ronald saint jean and was told there waiting for the department of bus to schedule classes. I was told they where going to have a class on November 8th but limited spots where available 

In an effort for all of us to be on the same page, I just want to clarify - you were told that the HR Dept. is up to the 2400s as far as the initial drug test is concerned? How about medical?

The reason why I'm asking is because, if you look at this, this, this and this post in the 9604 thread, you will see that people on the next list have already been asked to submit the pre-employment canvassing paperwork, which can be found here. Hopefully this particular post will cut-down on the amount of confusion, not only among the members, but also for our anonymous guests as well.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by +Young+

44 minutes ago, imtheogre said:

They may be requesting more names, on or around, after New Years. I was informed to be sure I’m on the list by December 7th. Just FYI for anyone who needed to reinstate their name to the list and subsequently waiting to be called. 

Where did you hear this from? Who? Source? Thanks in advance

On 11/16/2020 at 11:06 PM, +Young+ said:

I have the slightest clue.

young, quick question, once they go through this list (7612). Whats going to happen? Will they do away with this list? What about people who dont want to take the job but want to at a later time, like say next year january 2021 for example? Also, this list is still good until October 17, 2022. Thanks in advance.

22 hours ago, train1290 said:

young, quick question, once they go through this list (7612). Whats going to happen? Will they do away with this list? What about people who dont want to take the job but want to at a later time, like say next year january 2021 for example? Also, this list is still good until October 17, 2022. Thanks in advance.

My apologies about the late reply, I just wanted to give this some careful thought before I posted a reply on this website.

If I recall correctly, as per the "Civil Service" rules and regulations of the City of New York, until the list expires, the agency is allowed to hire off of the list until the list expires, providing a candidate successfully restores their name to the list for a maximum of three [3] times. As of now, the list for Exam 7612 doesn't expire until October of 2022.

However, from doing some research, I find the lengthy sentence that I typed above "questionable." Here's why:

If you look at this webpage by either typing your last name or "4600" in the search box, you will see that the list for Exam 4600 was extended and expires on January 6th, 2021, which is a little over a month away. Even if you look at this webpage, you will see that this past summer, DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services) certified 5,000 names off of the three Bus Operator lists which are active (4600, 7612 and 9604) to fill their 600 vacancies. However, if you look at this page of the 4600 thread, as of this typing (Saturday, November 21st, 2020 at approximately 11 PM), there has been very little to no movement within that particular thread within the past calendar year, even though the list for 4600 is still active for a little over a month.

Therefore, as far as the answer to your original questions of "What's going to happen?" and "Will they do away with this list?" - I regret to inform you that I do not have a 100% concrete answer to this question. Going into this, myself and a lot of other people thought that these TA examinations were considered "Civil Service." However, as per this webpage, with the fact that the last DCAS certification was this past summer, and they've been having Bus Operator Training classes since this past mid-August when it was safe to re-open, who knows what's going to happen.

Just keep in mind that the folks in NYC Transit's HR Department work for the "City" in which they "don't work too hard" on a regular basis. Trust me.

Edited by +Young+

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

My apologies about the late reply, I just wanted to give this some careful thought before I posted a reply on this website.

If I recall correctly, as per the "Civil Service" rules and regulations of the City of New York, until the list expires, the agency is allowed to hire off of the list until the list expires, providing a candidate successfully restores their name to the list for a maximum of three [3] times. As of now, the list for Exam 7612 doesn't expire until October of 2022.

However, from doing some research, I find the lengthy sentence that I typed above "questionable." Here's why:

If you look at this webpage by either typing your last name or "4600" in the search box, you will see that the list for Exam 4600 was extended and expires on January 6th, 2021, which is a little over a month away. Even if you look at this webpage, you will see that this past summer, DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services) certified 5,000 names off of the three Bus Operator lists which are active (4600, 7612 and 9604) to fill their 600 vacancies. However, if you look at this page of the 4600 thread, as of this typing (Saturday, November 21st, 2020 at approximately 11 PM), there has been very little to no movement within that particular thread within the past calendar year, even though the list for 4600 is still active for a little over a month.

Therefore, as far as the answer to your original questions of "What's going to happen?" and "Will they do away with this list?" - I regret to inform you that I do not have a 100% concrete answer to this question. Going into this, myself and a lot of other people thought that these TA examinations were considered "Civil Service." However, as per this webpage, with the fact that the last DCAS certification was this past summer, and they've been having Bus Operator Training classes since this past mid-August when it was safe to re-open, who knows what's going to happen.

Just keep in mind that the folks in NYC Transit's HR Department work for the "City" in which they "don't work too hard" on a regular basis. Trust me.

Alright +young+, i do appreciate though for taking the time to answer my question to the best of your ability. 

Oh and BTW, I do agree with you 100% on the NYC transit's HR Department. From not just witnessing it in person, as well as hearing about it. Again, thanks again for taking the time out of your day to read and answer my question. I appreciate it.

Stay safe and healthy during these times.... take care and be well!

5 hours ago, imtheogre said:

One of the 4 contacts provided in this thread replied back to my emails that I have sent seeking instructions on how I may proceed.

If this is the case, can you please share your list number with us? Don't forget to hide the last two digits in order to protect your identity.

Thanks!!

Hey all made my year yesterday,clean off probation now.When I popped that brake last night and got to the yard it was just a weird source of pressure and anxiety that left my body .If any of you new folks need any help or any advice with anything don't be afraid to reach out to me.I was here bothering @+Young+ last year and he was the biggest help through alot it stuff.Thanks again for all that help .

17 hours ago, Cactus683 said:

Hey all made my year yesterday,clean off probation now.When I popped that brake last night and got to the yard it was just a weird source of pressure and anxiety that left my body .If any of you new folks need any help or any advice with anything don't be afraid to reach out to me.I was here bothering @+Young+ last year and he was the biggest help through alot it stuff.Thanks again for all that help .

Congratulations @Cactus683. Keep striving in your career.  

18 hours ago, Cactus683 said:

Congratulations and best of luck out there!

22 hours ago, Cactus683 said:

Feels great, don't it? My last day on probation was the day before my RDOs, haha I had a little night out with friends!

On 11/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, Cactus683 said:

Congratulations. 

On 11/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, Cactus683 said:

Did you have any issues throughout your probation? How did your observation rides go?

Im 2 weeks fresh out of line training. 

43 minutes ago, Biggington said:

Did you have any issues throughout your probation? How did your observation rides go?

Im 2 weeks fresh out of line training. 

Congratulations on getting this far. I’m still on probation and I can tell you it can be nerve wrecking at times. But always go back to the keys you learnt on the 7 day and you will be fine. The most important thing to remember is “Safety”, “Service”, “Schedule” in other words. If you are late then so be it. Don’t rush for anyone or anything. Your clear time isn’t a mandatory time. You will be paid for every minute you are late. Take your time. In regards to observation ride, although it can be stressful knowing someone is watching your every move, no one at Transit wants to see you fail. On my last ride, the superintendent wanted to help me more than harm me and he made it very clear after the ride was over. They invest a lot into you up to this point and would be happier if you had a long career than to fire you. That being said, someone that I started with has already been shown the door. Be safe and Good Luck on your career. 

2 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Congratulations on getting this far. I’m still on probation and I can tell you it can be nerve wrecking at times. But always go back to the keys you learnt on the 7 day and you will be fine. The most important thing to remember is “Safety”, “Service”, “Schedule” in other words. If you are late then so be it. Don’t rush for anyone or anything. Your clear time isn’t a mandatory time. You will be paid for every minute you are late. Take your time. In regards to observation ride, although it can be stressful knowing someone is watching your every move, no one at Transit wants to see you fail. On my last ride, the superintendent wanted to help me more than harm me and he made it very clear after the ride was over. They invest a lot into you up to this point and would be happier if you had a long career than to fire you. That being said, someone that I started with has already been shown the door. Be safe and Good Luck on your career. 

Just like this gentleman said.Drive slow.Dont worry about that paddle.Probation for me was clean,I had one ride at 8 months,not sure if I had any undercover rides,was never told.Started in Manhattanville and finished over here on Staten island .What I also did was being able to keep the same run on probation.If you can that's what I did.Ans always use those mirrors,they will keep you out of alot of trouble.

5 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Thank you and cactus for the reply. What did the Supt correct you on?

I feel like I’ve developed a bit of a heavy foot at times and I try to keep as close to my schedule as I can only cause my swings are so short now that I just want my chance to eat and use the bathroom before I get back on the bus. 

4 hours ago, Biggington said:

I feel like I’ve developed a bit of a heavy foot at times and I try to keep as close to my schedule as I can only cause my swings are so short now that I just want my chance to eat and use the bathroom before I get back on the bus. 

He didn’t correct me on anything, but I’ve been driving commercial vehicles for 8 years so I’ve been pretty good about checking mirrors and covering my brakes. I understand about the short swing. Do remember if needed you can call a personal for bathroom brakes. 

4 hours ago, Biggington said:

SLOW down and ignore the paddle. This job is about making money and being safe. If you blow your swing (20 minutes), You are entitled for a 30 minutes lost meal and still get paid for it. There’s a lot of tricks and things you need to know I can tell you in Private Message that will benefit you as the operator on the road and not feel overwhelm. If you need to use the rest room, like @lornaevo stated, you’re entitled to take a personal to use the “rest room only” at the end or while in service. You’ll just need to press RTT and relay the message.