B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

Hey everyone. (Sorry if this is a repeat question) So i got the notice that i have been placed on the eligible list. So i am going to start studying to get my CDL. But I'm just wondering how long before someone gets called? Also I just recently got 6 points on my license for speeding. This is my first time getting points taken ever! I have paid that ticket already and I hope this doesn't affect anything. Also is the difference between TA and MaBSTOA is that TA is Brooklyn Queens and Staten Island and MaBSTOA is Bronx and Manhattan? 

Thanks.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, mrem37 said:

Yes. If you want to become a bus operator, you have to start driving like a normal person. Meaning zero points and having two closed tickets. 

Then start reading the drivers manual and memorizing every detail of the book. The General is 50 questions and the Passenger & Air Brakes is 20-25 questions each. 

There are numerous practice questions online to prepare you for the tests. 

Then for extra fun, you have to take the state brake test, inside the bus inspection test, and outside the bus inspection test. 

Once you pass all that, you'll have to drive the bus through an obstacle course without hitting the cones. Oh, and then comes the actual driving test. 

Cool, you passed all that? Then comes the weekly tests during school, to make sure you have what it takes to become a full time bus operator.  

Now, go get that drivers manual and start studying.. 

Good Luck! 

Wat do u mean by 2 closed tickets ? Do u work there already I heard from numerous of people that u can’t have over 4 ? 

9 minutes ago, Richi3stayfly said:

I’m not sure wen they drop off I got them like 3-4 years ago for a speeding violation how can I find out about dropping points 

The best thing to do would be to run your abstract, in which instructions for New York State residents can be viewed here. Once you run your abstract, which they'll pull up in the Human Resources office, then they can see if you have any open/pending tickets, points, accidents, etc. like @msmcmillan said, open tickets are a problem. In addition, anything within the past three years will be taken into consideration. So if you got your points on October 31st, 2015, and you're going down to Livingston Street on November 1st, 2018, you'll be fine. Keep in mind that it stays on your abstract for four years, so make sure you examine your abstract carefully.

56 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

The best thing to do would be to run your abstract, in which instructions for New York State residents can be viewed here. Once you run your abstract, which they'll pull up in the Human Resources office, then they can see if you have any open/pending tickets, points, accidents, etc. like @msmcmillan said, open tickets are a problem. In addition, anything within the past three years will be taken into consideration. So if you got your points on October 31st, 2015, and you're going down to Livingston Street on November 1st, 2018, you'll be fine. Keep in mind that it stays on your abstract for four years, so make sure you examine your abstract carefully.

Thanks 

2 hours ago, FLeXxX said:

Hey everyone. (Sorry if this is a repeat question) So i got the notice that i have been placed on the eligible list. So i am going to start studying to get my CDL. But I'm just wondering how long before someone gets called? Also I just recently got 6 points on my license for speeding. This is my first time getting points taken ever! I have paid that ticket already and I hope this doesn't affect anything. Also is the difference between TA and MaBSTOA is that TA is Brooklyn Queens and Staten Island and MaBSTOA is Bronx and Manhattan? 

Thanks.

According to this post, you can have four points maximum. In addition, you have to wait at least three years for them to come off - even if you take a Defensive Driving Class, as far as the MTA is concerned, that does nothing. Therefore, especially since the list contains about 2,850 names, you will probably have to restore your name to the list after the points come off your license.

Also, please keep in mind that all of us, including myself and the other moderators are volunteers. Therefore, although you're anxious for answers, you need to have patience. Eventually one of us will answer your question, however we all have lives, between work, school, family, second jobs, etc.

4 hours ago, Richi3stayfly said:

I’m not sure wen they drop off I got them like 3-4 years ago for a speeding violation how can I find out about dropping points 

1. According to the NYS DMV, points aren't counted towards the 11-point total for suspension after 18 months from the date of conviction

2. According to the NYS DMV, the conviction remains on your driving record/abstract until January 1 of the FOURTH year following conviction. 

For example... I got a speeding ticket in August 2012. Netted me some points. By February 2014 those points don't count towards the 11-point total. On January 1, 2016, however, the entire conviction dropped from my record. If I go to the MyDMV page and sign in to see my license details, the points from that conviction are no longer there!

Just make sure you paid all your tickets and be honest about them when asked because you won't be able to lie about them if they are still on your driving abstract. 

Good for you. 

NY allows 11 points? We're only allowed 5 in NJ to be hired. 

I signed up for this test (7612), but decided to stay with NJ Transit. 

After getting hired, you all will be "broken in" on all the lines in your garage. Then eventually, with seniority, you'll be able to choose which line you want to drive. 

For example, I drive a very busy line. But I sit in no traffic. I'd rather have a busy bus, than sit in traffic all day. 

Others are different. They don't mind sitting in traffic all day in an empty bus.. 

5 hours ago, Catz said:

I got my letter as well 15xx and I was thinking the same thing on how many people actually took this test 

If you look at the proposed answer keys which can be found here, you'll notice that the exam was only given on October 15th and November 18th. In addition, on October 15th, the exam was administered at two high schools - Midwood High School and Franklin D. Roosevelt High School in Brooklyn. Therefore, if each session at one school holds about 2,000 people, times that by four (two sessions at two high schools) and you get about 8,000 people. Again, this is an educated guess.

In addition, according to what was said in this post, I have a "gut" feeling a lot of people didn't pass...after all, the list does consist of approximately 2,850 people and that's it.

19 hours ago, +Young+ said:

You're welcome.

Received my list number 9x for exam 7612. I just  submitted my letter of resignation from MTA Bus part time , to start Mabstoa on the 11/12. I completed the medical last week for OA. If I get called for TA, before I start Mabstoa, do I have to do the Medical and drug test again?

1 hour ago, U4real said:

Received my list number 9x for exam 7612. I just  submitted my letter of resignation from MTA Bus part time , to start Mabstoa on the 11/12. I completed the medical last week for OA. If I get called for TA, before I start Mabstoa, do I have to do the Medical and drug test again?

Drug tests are valid for 30 calendar days; medicals are good for 90 calendar days. Therefore, it all depends on when you do your drug test and/or medical.