B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

For those still waiting like myself, not only is there a class starting Feb 14th, but there is one scheduled to start on the 28th of Feb as well. Arrived at 180 Livingston around 5:40am this morning for a 6:30am appointment for medical. After waiting for about 20 minutes were told that we were being bumped and rescheduled for another day, reason being the building was closed on Tuesday due to the snow storm. The people originally scheduled for Tuesday the 2nd were then rescheduled for today, since they are only allowed max 15 people for medical the people for Feb 2nd took precedence, those scheduled for today we were told to wait for an email to come back. Fortunately I received the email a few moments ago for a date next week. Good luck to all that still waiting...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

For those still waiting like myself, not only is there a class starting Feb 14th, but there is one scheduled to start on the 28th of Feb as well. Arrived at 180 Livingston around 5:40am this morning for a 6:30am appointment for medical. After waiting for about 20 minutes were told that we were being bumped and rescheduled for another day, reason being the building was closed on Tuesday due to the snow storm. The people originally scheduled for Tuesday the 2nd were then rescheduled for today, since they are only allowed max 15 people for medical the people for Feb 2nd took precedence, those scheduled for today we were told to wait for an email to come back. Fortunately I received the email a few moments ago for a date next week. Good luck to all that still waiting...

Ok thank you for the updatet...now what list number are you if you dont mind me asking? ( and please remember to hide the last digit or two for privacy reasons)

On 2/4/2021 at 4:22 PM, MTA MAC said:

Hi

Did they tell you that the class for Feb 28th is 100% ready and scheduled to start?

Which day is your medical?

thanks

On 2/6/2021 at 11:46 PM, hh1a said:

Hi

Did they tell you that the class for Feb 28th is 100% ready and scheduled to start?

Which day is your medical?

thanks

Well no it wasn't said as if it were written in stone. Things with transit are always subject to change based on agency needs.  

On 2/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, MTA MAC said:

Went to 180 Livingston this morning did the medical and passed. Filled out more paperwork, only to find out I wouldn't be in the Feb 14th class, it more than likely filled up. Had to do a second urine test the same day. Now waiting for another email for the Feb 28th class

Ok. Best of luck to you....keep us posted when you hear something new. 

Yay , qualified on Day 7 , line training tomorrow . There was a lot to learn , and at times overwhelming not “getting it right” .. but no one is perfect . The camaraderie displayed and shared with me made me want this even more , I’m very happy .. and thanks to everyone who posted valuable info in regards to this position and process. 

2 minutes ago, imtheogre said:

Yay , qualified on Day 7 , line training tomorrow . There was a lot to learn , and at times overwhelming not “getting it right” .. but no one is perfect . The camaraderie displayed and shared with me made me want this even more , I’m very happy .. and thanks to everyone who posted valuable info in regards to this position and process. 

Good job,what depot you line training in

2 hours ago, imtheogre said:

Congrats on your day 7 qualification. Good luck on the road. Hope there's another class soon.

56 minutes ago, Yarg said:

Congratulations i heard there are some people who have to go to gun hill today as well. Is there line training there too.

Day 8 and 9 students that didn't qualify on day 6 and 7.

12 hours ago, imtheogre said:

Congratulations, and you’re not doing line training until you pick or placed into a depot. The students that qualified on day 7 will meet up at Jamaica depot to learn other types of buses. Students who didn't qualify on day 7, will get a second chance by going to days 8 and 9. 

20 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Day 8 and 9 students that didn't qualify on day 6 and 7.

Congratulations, and you’re not doing line training until you pick or placed into a depot. The students that qualified on day 7 will meet up at Jamaica depot to learn other types of buses. Students who didn't qualify on day 7, will get a second chance by going to days 8 and 9. 

Yes you’re right .. I was looking at the sheet and assumed that’s what I was doing yesterday .. A few conversations with some Supt. cleared that up and informed me how the next few weeks will go . 

On 2/23/2021 at 6:46 PM, imtheogre said:

Congrats

how many students are in your class and what was the most difficult part to learn to in those 7 days?

thanks

Forward planning, which to me is putting everything learned, together, and into practice. Must stay vigilant, constantly looking ahead (around you as well) and planning your next move down the road. My instructors gave me all the tools, which was easy.. I have to make sure to use them. 

28 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know if there's any training material online for driving the 60 footers? 

They give you a brief document when they qualify you on the bus. It's pretty much the same as the 40 ft buses in terms of driving and turning. The artic joint is your reference point for turning.

Edited by dman1455

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know if there's any training material online for driving the 60 footers? 

If the depot you pick or is sent to has articulated buses, they will train you for 30 minutes on that bus. Overall, you gain more techniques with the articulated buses the more you operate them especially learning how to squeeze and maneuver through tight weird spaces or between double park cars on both side of a traffic street. For example, if you’re familiar with the Brooklyn bus Route SBS46, B35, and B38 uses articulated buses and the traffic on that route is a hot mess with double park vehicles and trucks that you have to maneuver through a 2-way single lane traffic. It takes operating experience to go up and down that route without being involved on a accident. 

51 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

If the depot you pick or is sent to has articulated buses, they will train you for 30 minutes on that bus. Overall, you gain more techniques with the articulated buses the more you operate them especially learning how to squeeze and maneuver through tight weird spaces or between double park cars on both side of a traffic street. For example, if you’re familiar with the Brooklyn bus Route SBS46, B35, and B38 uses articulated buses and the traffic on that route is a hot mess with double park vehicles and trucks that you have to maneuver through a 2-way single lane traffic. It takes operating experience to go up and down that route without being involved on a accident. 

I understand, what I have the most difficulty with is my tailswing when pulling out of a lane or a bus stop, like if I'm along a 2 lane street and there's a double parked car in front of me, once I start turning i cant see my back wheel or what its going to hit.