B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently found out i was mark not qualified for not having my passenger endorsement at the time of processing for exam 7612. This was something i was able to fix the same day 2 years ago. I was able to get the not qualified status off of my name so now im back on the list for bus operator. My question is how does that work? My list number was in the 70's. Is there a number i can call? Am i eligible for the next class?

14 minutes ago, Merk said:

I recently found out i was mark not qualified for not having my passenger endorsement at the time of processing for exam 7612. This was something i was able to fix the same day 2 years ago. I was able to get the not qualified status off of my name so now im back on the list for bus operator. My question is how does that work? My list number was in the 70's. Is there a number i can call? Am i eligible for the next class?

Providing you're back on the list, you just have to wait until the agency, in this case NYC Transit, requests the next "batch" or "group" of names from DCAS. To do this without annoying anybody, you can check this website on a regular basis. All you have to do is type in either your last name or "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top-right hand portion of the screen and you'll see when NYC Transit requested their last "batch" or "group" of names from DCAS.

Good luck!!

Hi, did anyone receive an email from 180 Livingston requesting they restore their name back to the list? I was last down their Feb 9th for final processing however, I was not put into the next class which if I remember correctly was Feb 14th nor the class that started Feb 28th. Now I received an email today with this message :

NYC Transit is expecting approvals to fill new bus operator vacancies in the next two months.

Please contact the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) to restore your name to the list.

Please send an email to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov and provide them with

your full name, address, phone number, email, exam and list number so they may put your name back on the list.

Please do this as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Ronald Saint Jean

I emailed him back and he said this is what needs to be done. No arguments from me!! Anyone else get this email?

Edited by MTA MAC
typo

4 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

Hi, did anyone receive an email from 180 Livingston requesting they restore their name back to the list? I was last down their Feb 9th for final processing however, I was not put into the next class which if I remember correctly was Feb 14th nor the class that started Feb 28th. Now I received an email today with this message :

NYC Transit is expecting approvals to fill new bus operator vacancies in the next two months.

Please contact the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) to restore your name to the list.

your full name, address, phone number, email, exam and list number so they may put your name back on the list.

Thank you,

Ronald Saint Jean

I emailed him back and he said this is what needs to be done. No arguments from me!! Anyone else get this email?

I did this and was told my name was restored to the list back in January but when I let Ronald St. Jean know what they said, he said to have them do it again.

5 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

Thank you,

Ronald Saint Jean

I received the same email and was told by the certification unit that my list number was already restored back in January 2021, when I informed St. Jean he told me to do it again so that I come up on the list again. I then sent another email asking to restore my number despite it having been done back in January-waiting to hear back.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:51 PM, MTA MAC said:

Thank you,

Ronald Saint Jean

With the fact that you received this e-mail message on March 17th (Wednesday), I find this very interesting. The reason why is because, if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box of this webpage, as of today, March 19th (Friday), the agency requested 4,000 names on March 15th (Monday) to fill 300 vacancies. Therefore, @MTA MAC and @Ljay, are your names on this new certification? The fastest way to check is to type your last name into the search box instead of "Bus Operator."

If not, then this is another way of how the Human Resources Personnel of NYC Transit work for the "City," in which they "don't work too hard" on a regular basis. If you're unsure of what I'm talking about, I would encourage you to read this and this post.

Good luck!!

4 hours ago, +Young+ said:

With the fact that you received this e-mail message on March 17th (Wednesday), I find this very interesting. The reason why is because, if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box of this webpage, as of today, March 19th (Friday), the agency requested 4,000 names on March 15th (Monday) to fill 300 vacancies. Therefore, @MTA MAC and @Ljay, are your names on this new certification? The fastest way to check is to type your last name into the search box instead of "Bus Operator."

If not, then this is another way of how the Human Resources Personnel of NYC Transit work for the "City," in which they "don't work too hard" on a regular basis. If you're unsure of what I'm talking about, I would encourage you to read this and this post.

Good luck!!

Thank you for the info.  I see my name on the list today. I also just received an email stating that my names was restored as of yesterday.  I'm glad they updated it because I was originally told that I didn't have to restore it again because I had already done so in January.  I emailed them several times and told them what happened in February and how I was supposed to be in the February 14 class and then the 28th and then all froze.  The email today says I was restored March 18.

1 hour ago, Ljay said:

Thank you for the info.  I see my name on the list today. I also just received an email stating that my names was restored as of yesterday.  I'm glad they updated it because I was originally told that I didn't have to restore it again because I had already done so in January.  I emailed them several times and told them what happened in February and how I was supposed to be in the February 14 class and then the 28th and then all froze.  The email today says I was restored March 18.

Ok thanks for the update, I, myself also email them today so ill keep you and everyone else updated when i hear something. 

6 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Good luck!!

Thanks for the update @Young, I went to the webpage and my name still appears on the list. In addition, I also sent an email to have my name restored as was suggested by 180 Livingston. As of this post I have yet to get a response saying my name was restored. I'm aware that they don't move as fast as I would like lol, so hopefully I'll get a response soon saying whether restoring my name was necessary or not. It look like I'll have to do the paperwork, medical and drug test over again smh. I'll keep you guys posted.

2 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

Thanks for the update @Young, I went to the webpage and my name still appears on the list. In addition, I also sent an email to have my name restored as was suggested by 180 Livingston. As of this post I have yet to get a response saying my name was restored. I'm aware that they don't move as fast as I would like lol, so hopefully I'll get a response soon saying whether restoring my name was necessary or not. It look like I'll have to do the paperwork, medical and drug test over again smh. I'll keep you guys posted.

You're welcome for the update.

(As far as how to tag me for future reference - make sure you type "@" followed by "+Young" with the plus sign.)

Good luck!

6 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

o no, you have passed the 90 day mark it seems.

March is almost finished and there has not been a new class so far...

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Slems said:

Hey everyone, any update on a new classes coming up. I know there was class on the 14th of February. Has anyone got emails to start the pre-empolyment? 

Thanks

Hi were you sent an email to have your name restored to the list? I know the list was recertified recently and people were told to contact DCAS to have their names restored to the list for upcoming classes.

33 minutes ago, MTA MAC said:

Hi were you sent an email to have your name restored to the list? I know the list was recertified recently and people were told to contact DCAS to have their names restored to the list for upcoming classes.

I was in the February 14th class, just wanted to know if anyone heard from HR for new classes. I put in my transfer for Staten Island and I was told that the only way my transfer will get accepted is when they start hiring new operators 

Hi everyone

I am currently a few days in training after passing the DMV road test and upgrading my permit to CDL.

The DMV in the Bronx didn't let me keep the School bus endorsement when I upgraded, so I only have P endorsement.

They said I have to pass the road test with a school bus, not the city bus.

Has this happened to anyone?

Also if I were to get called for track worker while I am doing bus operator training, what choices do I have?

Thank you

1 hour ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

I am currently a few days in training after passing the DMV road test and upgrading my permit to CDL.

The DMV in the Bronx didn't let me keep the School bus endorsement when I upgraded, so I only have P endorsement.

They said I have to pass the road test with a school bus, not the city bus.

Has this happened to anyone?

Also if I were to get called for track worker while I am doing bus operator training, what choices do I have?

Thank you

Congratulations on passing bus operator training and the road test!

For the school bus endorsement, you have to take the road test in a school bus.

If you get called for track worker, you can resign bus operator position, but you will likely have to do the Zerega training all over again since you neither "graduated" or completed the one-year probation period. However, if you decline (which you may up to three times so long as the list is active) the track worker position and complete the one-year probation in the bus operator title, you can reinstate your name on the track worker list and accept the call for the track worker. You should have the option of returning to the bus operator title within one year if for whatever reason being a track worker does not work out. 

Good Luck!

Edited by 161 New York

On 3/31/2021 at 1:42 PM, Slems said:

I was in the February 14th class, just wanted to know if anyone heard from HR for new classes. I put in my transfer for Staten Island and I was told that the only way my transfer will get accepted is when they start hiring new operators 

Congratulations on completing the bus operator training program at Zerega. There has not been any new bus operators for quite some time here on Staten Island. Whenever the DOB decides that Staten Island needs bus operators, then they will send over transfers. No-one aside from them knows. As a transfer you will likely do the following -

1) Ride the local lines of all three depots (there are four, but Merideth Ave is an express depot).

2) Do the express bus training where you will go through the HLC/BBT Tunnel and maybe the Lincoln Tunnel as well as some of the routes. This has changed since I completed it in 2016 so I cannot provide you with the details.

Edited by 161 New York

On 4/2/2021 at 1:40 PM, 161 New York said:

Congratulations on passing bus operator training and the road test!

For the school bus endorsement, you have to take the road test in a school bus.

If you get called for track worker, you can resign bus operator position, but you will likely have to do the Zerega training all over again since you neither "graduated" or completed the one-year probation period. However, if you decline (which you may up to three times so long as the list is active) the track worker position and complete the one-year probation in the bus operator title, you can reinstate your name on the track worker list and accept the call for the track worker. You should have the option of returning to the bus operator title within one year if for whatever reason being a track worker does not work out. 

Good Luck!

What does graduation mean?

so your saying if I graduate then I could resign bus operator and try for track worker and then come back with in a year if it doesn't work out ?

I don't necessarily need to complete the one year probation?

2 minutes ago, hh1a said:

What does graduation mean?

so your saying if I graduate then I could resign bus operator and try for track worker and then come back with in a year if it doesn't work out ?

I don't necessarily need to complete the one year probation?

You definitely need to complete the probation period.