Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
+Young+

B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+

LIST STATUS UPDATE: 2/21/2021

The list for this exam has been published as of October 17th, 2018.

In addition, here is the Notice of Examination for this specific exam in case anyone needs this for future reference.

PAY: $23.84 to start, raises to $34.06

TRAINING: See this thread for more information.

HIGHEST LIST # CALLED: For initial P/E: (Last Known - 2847); For Medical: (Last Known - 2500s)

(According to the 12th page of the B/O 9604 thread, which can be viewed here, they have begun to canvass names off of this list. Therefore, I believe it is safe to say that everyone on this list has been called for the initial pre-employment at least once.)

NEXT SCHEDULED CLASS: Currently Unknown

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!!

Message added by +Young+

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, hh1a said:

What does graduation mean?

so your saying if I graduate then I could resign bus operator and try for track worker and then come back with in a year if it doesn't work out ?

I don't necessarily need to complete the one year probation?

Speak to your union rep. But I believe its best to finish up probation first just so if you do resign from the B/O position and you don't like Tracks, you may be able to return back within the one year period. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you for the responses

On Day 0 I put in for transferring to Queens.

I would like to go to Casey Stengel depot, if I get offered a transfer to Queens but Casey Stengel is not available, could I pick either Queens Village or Jamaica and transfer to Casey depot when it's available at a later time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hh1a said:

thank you for the responses

On Day 0 I put in for transferring to Queens.

I would like to go to Casey Stengel depot, if I get offered a transfer to Queens but Casey Stengel is not available, could I pick either Queens Village or Jamaica and transfer to Casey depot when it's available at a later time?

i am surprised that you said Casey Stengel no spot available.... we need around 40 people, and i guess you may transfer around September

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hh1a said:

thank you for the responses

On Day 0 I put in for transferring to Queens.

I would like to go to Casey Stengel depot, if I get offered a transfer to Queens but Casey Stengel is not available, could I pick either Queens Village or Jamaica and transfer to Casey depot when it's available at a later time?

Yeah if CS isn't available, you will go to either depot based on where the operators in front of you go. When a spot opens up at CS, they will let you know that it's time. 

Also finish probation before going to Track. If you leave before the year, it'll become a one way deal. You don't like it, you will have to go through the hoops of getting your name readded on the list. You'll lose all your seniority, etc. It's not fun nor a guarantee that you'll be able to come back to being a bus operator.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Also finish probation before going to Track. If you leave before the year, it'll become a one way deal. You don't like it, you will have to go through the hoops of getting your name re-added on the list. You'll lose all your seniority, etc. It's not fun nor a guarantee that you'll be able to come back to being a bus operator.

Does this also include waiting five [5] years before the member can even re-attempt the 10-Day Bus Operator Training Session?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Does this also include waiting five [5] years before the member can even re-attempt the 10-Day Bus Operator Training Session?

No. This is a different process to go back to your old title. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Yeah if CS isn't available, you will go to either depot based on where the operators in front of you go. When a spot opens up at CS, they will let you know that it's time. 

Also finish probation before going to Track. If you leave before the year, it'll become a one way deal. You don't like it, you will have to go through the hoops of getting your name readded on the list. You'll lose all your seniority, etc. It's not fun nor a guarantee that you'll be able to come back to being a bus operator.

but if I pick either Queens Village or Jamaica because Casey is not available, aren't I stuck for life in the depot ?

In Queens you can't move around the depots once you pick a depot, that's what I am hearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, hh1a said:

but if I pick either Queens Village or Jamaica because Casey is not available, aren't I stuck for life in the depot ?

In Queens you can't move around the depots once you pick a depot, that's what I am hearing.

No. You have the right to go to the depot of your choice once it becomes available. When they ask you where you wanna go, you will tell them Stengel. If there's no space, they will tell you so and give you a choice of the other two. When space opens in Stengel, they will let you know and give you the option of going or staying.

If you pick to go to QV or Jamaica without mentioning that you ultimately want to be at Stengel then yeah, you're stuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does it mean to be out of compliance in reference to 19a. I did my 19a yearly re-certification.  Handed paper in. Get a call that I am out of compliance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, trigger said:

What does it mean to be out of compliance in reference to 19a. I did my 19a yearly re-certification.  Handed paper in. Get a call that I am out of compliance.

Talk to the 19A dispatcher at your depot and see what's up. You should have gotten an observation ride (in service), a day in the class (where you drive NIS) and did the open book test. You need all 3 to be 19A qualified every year. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, so I just recieved the Employment Operations Canvass and I was instructed to fill it out and sumbit it back to the instructed email. While reading the instructions on the email I noticed that it asks to send a picture of your CDL with no restrictions. I noticed that I have a No manual trans CMV restriction. Will this hold me back? What should I do? Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merk said:

Hey guys, so I just recieved the Employment Operations Canvass and I was instructed to fill it out and sumbit it back to the instructed email. While reading the instructions on the email I noticed that it asks to send a picture of your CDL with no restrictions. I noticed that I have a No manual trans CMV restriction. Will this hold me back? What should I do? Thank you.

You're good, all buses are automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Merk said:

Hey guys, so I just received the Employment Operations Canvass and I was instructed to fill it out and submit it back to the instructed email. While reading the instructions on the email I noticed that it asks to send a picture of your CDL with no restrictions. I noticed that I have a No manual trans CMV restriction. Will this hold me back? What should I do? Thank you.

If you read the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination, which can be viewed here, it specifically says "...no restrictions that would disqualify you from performing the duties of this position."

Therefore, as I look at this online document, the following restrictions are acceptable:

-A3 (Medical Certification Exempt, since the agency does their own medicals, unless you're operating the S89 on Staten Island which goes into New Jersey. If so, the agency will provide this to you)

-B (Corrective Lenses)

-E (No Manual Transmission Commercial Motor Vehicle)

-K (CDL Intrastate Only)

-M (No Class "A" Passenger Vehicle, for those of us who took a road test in a tractor-trailer and a bus)

Some of the most common restrictions which the agency does not accept is "N1" or "N2," which means that you took your CDL road test in a box truck, and then added the "P" endorsement later on. For those of you who live in New Jersey, you can click here for your list of endorsements/restrictions and for those of you who live in Connecticut, you can click here.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the responses everyone.

I have been working with the New Flyer Artic a few times, just wanted some advice on leaving a bus stop and not hitting the rear with something like a hydrant,

and also turning, it's totally different for turning and challenging

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hh1a said:

Thank you for the responses everyone.

I have been working with the New Flyer Artic a few times, just wanted some advice on leaving a bus stop and not hitting the rear with something like a hydrant,

and also turning, it's totally different for turning and challenging

When I was line training, one of the operators gave me a pretty nice tip for dealing with things like hydrants in a bus stop- make sure the object is between your front and rear pivot point. That way when you pull off, you won't have to concern yourself with the tail swing when you pull off. For an artic, if you can, try to keep the object at or just behind the bellows and between the rear tires if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 11:25 AM, Flatbush Operator said:

Oh okay. When I clear today I will PM you some pictures of what you can use as a reference. What I notice that the superintendent doesn't show you the full structure technique how to maneuver these articulated buses which I plan to teach someday in the future if I ever joined the safety and training division at zerega. 

Hi,

Could you please send me that PM as well, I would gladly appreciate it.

Thank You

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2021 at 11:17 PM, Ljay said:

I received the same email and was told by the certification unit that my list number was already restored back in January 2021, when I informed St. Jean he told me to do it again so that I come up on the list again. I then sent another email asking to restore my number despite it having been done back in January-waiting to hear back.

Hey, did you recently receive a canvass/employment package?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

Hey, did you recently receive a canvass/employment package?

I did, I received an automated call and an email this past Thursday and Friday.  I submitted the packet, now I'm just waiting to hear back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ljay said:

I did, I received an automated call and an email this past Thursday and Friday.  I submitted the packet, now I'm just waiting to hear back.  

Good luck, had to email them to find out why I didn't receive a call. Not sure what happened since I was recertified to the list on 3/19. Smh!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MTA MAC said:

Good luck, had to email them to find out why I didn't receive a call. Not sure what happened since I was recertified to the list on 3/19. Smh!!

Have you tried reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here?

Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

Have you tried reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here?

Good luck!!

@+Young+I will definitely reach out to them today. I have a friend that didn't make the last recertification list but he received a canvass letter on Thursday. I find it kind of odd since his list number is higher than mine. Also I did get a response from the gentlemen that's handling the list he said "I'll look into it and be in touch". I don't find that to be to comforting.  Anyway thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

Also I did get a response from the gentlemen that's handling the list he said "I'll look into it and be in touch". I don't find that to be to comforting.  Anyway thanks for the info.

I agree with you 100%, especially since I learned the hard way that these folks work for the "City," in which they "don't work too hard" on a regular basis. I would just try to stay on top of this as much as possible without being annoying.

Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 12:25 AM, +Young+ said:

Have you tried reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here?

Good luck!!

@+Young+,thanks received a response and will submit pre-employment packet for the 3rd time. Smh!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

@+Young+,thanks received a response and will submit pre-employment packet for the 3rd time. Smh!!

You're welcome. Just try to stay on top of this as much as possible without being annoying.

Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.