B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

On 6/25/2021 at 1:03 PM, KDGallagher said:

Do most students qualify on day 7? 

After getting hired and being placed on probation, how likely is it to not make it past probation? Is it easy to get laid off or must you really screw up BADLY? 

About 11% of folks (going off a video I'd seen on YouTube from Transit themselves) don't get past the probationary period but that's not too bad considering most other civil service positions have 18-month (or more) probationary periods.

What I have noticed is that you'd have to screw up pretty badly or repeat mistakes more than once to even get your probation extended. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

About 11% of folks (going off a video I'd seen on YouTube from Transit themselves) don't get past the probationary period but that's not too bad considering most other civil service positions have 18-month (or more) probationary periods.

What I have noticed is that you'd have to screw up pretty badly or repeat mistakes more than once to even get your probation extended. 

Guy I came in with got extended,had a beakie on the bus,was going 10 over in the hov lane heading to Staten island ,took him out of service and 6 month extension,always gotta be on top of your game here.

6 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Click here to view the specific YouTube video. The statistics can be seen from 1 minute, 20 seconds to 1 minute, 30 seconds.

As a side note, this video was published in May of 2014, and since then, the road test to obtain a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) has gotten harder, which now includes an inspection of the engine compartment. For more information about this, click here.

Finally, my apologies in advance for repeating myself and/or being annoying about this, however, for those who are currently and/or about to go through the initial 10-Day Training Session, have you considered looking at the handouts?

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Clarification

3 hours ago, Cactus683 said:

Guy I came in with got extended,had a beakie on the bus,was going 10 over in the hov lane heading to Staten island ,took him out of service and 6 month extension,always gotta be on top of your game here.

That is definitely a GOOD way to get yourself in trouble... 10 over?! Sheesh!! I've heard the express buses were capable of 60 but DO NOT do that as a probie!!

12 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

That is definitely a GOOD way to get yourself in trouble... 10 over?! Sheesh!! I've heard the express buses were capable of 60 but DO NOT do that as a probie!!

Lol I havent did express since line training on Staten island over a year now,they do over 60 I can tell ya that much .But yes don't get close to that especially on probation.I stay out of Manhattan as much as I can.

Thanks you guys for all the help w my questions. One last question for now, from what I understand you need to do 25 years of service for the full pension. Is there an age requirement? My dad worked sanitation and there was no age requirement as long as you did your 20 years. 

I'm not young but I'm young enough to finish my 25 years before I turn 50. Is it possible to retire before 50 and receive pension as soon as I retire? 

Bonus: Do most of you operators see yourself retiring in the seat? Or plan to become Dispatchers / train operators / further up the TA ladder?

3 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Thanks you guys for all the help w my questions. One last question for now, from what I understand you need to do 25 years of service for the full pension. Is there an age requirement? My dad worked sanitation and there was no age requirement as long as you did your 20 years. 

I'm not young but I'm young enough to finish my 25 years before I turn 50. Is it possible to retire before 50 and receive pension as soon as I retire? 

Bonus: Do most of you operators see yourself retiring in the seat? Or plan to become Dispatchers / train operators / further up the TA ladder?

It's 25 years of service and you have to be 55 years old. (25/55) You will receive a reduced pension if you retire without the age.

And everyone's career here is different. Some stay operators forever because union, money, OT, etc. Some start climbing the ladder. Some people have to climb the ladder because they're not medically qualified to operate a vehicle.

On 6/30/2021 at 7:32 AM, Cactus683 said:

Whats a beakie?

19 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

It's 25 years of service and you have to be 55 years old. (25/55) You will receive a reduced pension if you retire without the age.

And everyone's career here is different. Some stay operators forever because union, money, OT, etc. Some start climbing the ladder. Some people have to climb the ladder because they're not medically qualified to operate a vehicle.

What happens if they're not medically qualified to operate a vehicle? What position do they do then instead?

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

What happens if they're not medically qualified to operate a vehicle? What position do they do then instead?

In buses, you become "Restricted", so you can only do work that fits your qualifications as per the MAC. If there's restricted work available, you'll be doing that until you are cleared to drive again. Common stuff includes cleaning the depot/buses, office work, drilling/shifting (if you are cleared for that)...

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

In buses, you become "Restricted", so you can only do work that fits your qualifications as per the MAC. If there's restricted work available, you'll be doing that until you are cleared to drive again. Common stuff includes cleaning the depot/buses, office work, drilling/shifting (if you are cleared for that)...

Ok, and if you are on restriction, and there is no work to do, you just sit there at the depot until something becomes available while being on restriction?

On 7/1/2021 at 11:11 PM, train1290 said:

Ok, and if you are on restriction, and there is no work to do, you just sit there at the depot until something becomes available while being on restriction?

The crew might find some menial task for you to do eventually, but yes, depending on whether you're qualified to be a shifter or not you might find yourself sitting in the crew room bored to high hell.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:02 PM, train1290 said:

Whats a beakie?

A beakie is an undercover person which can be either a Dispatcher, 19a Dispatcher or Superintendent giving you a observation ride. They ride your bus to ensure you are operating the bus safely and following the rules. Some rides are random and some are assigned by zerega or depot management. 

5 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

A beakie is an undercover person which can be either a Dispatcher, 19a Dispatcher or Superintendent giving you a observation ride. They ride your bus to ensure you are operating the bus safely and following the rules. Some rides are random and some are assigned by zerega or depot management. 

Gotcha, ok thank you!

Hey guys, happy 4th of july. This past friday I passed my road test for My CDL class B license. Now, I just have to pass the 10 day training for the Bus Operator, Would anyone happen to have the phone number for the Bus Operator management person thats in charge for the bus department?

3 hours ago, train1290 said:

What list number are they up to? My list number is 20xx.

3 hours ago, train1290 said:

Hey guys, happy 4th of july. This past friday I passed my road test for My CDL class B license. Now, I just have to pass the 10 day training for the Bus Operator, Would anyone happen to have the phone number for the Bus Operator management person thats in charge for the bus department?

First of all, congrats on passing the road test!

As far as what list number they are up to, if you click here, you will see that someone in the 430s (430 - 439) received the canvass e-mail for the next list, Exam #9604. Therefore, the phone number(s) that you are looking for are either (347) 643 7413, which can be found on the bottom of the first page of this PDF document, or either (347) 643 8229/30/31/32.

In addition, have you considered restoring your name to the list via DCAS? If not, the instructions to do so can be found in the green announcement box located at the top of this webpage.

Finally, have you considered sending an e-mail to employmentcenter@nyct.com or employmentcenterbuses@nyct.com to see what they have to say?

Good luck!!

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

First of all, congrats on passing the road test!

As far as what list number they are up to, if you click here, you will see that someone in the 430s (430 - 439) received the canvass e-mail for the next list, Exam #9604. Therefore, the phone number(s) that you are looking for are either (347) 643 7413, which can be found on the bottom of the first page of this PDF document, or either (347) 643 8229/30/31/32.

In addition, have you considered restoring your name to the list via DCAS? If not, the instructions to do so can be found in the green announcement box located at the top of this webpage.

Finally, have you considered sending an e-mail to employmentcenter@nyct.com or employmentcenterbuses@nyct.com to see what they have to say?

Good luck!!

Ok, but when i called DCAS about restoring my name it said the automated recording that im still on the list for bus operator exam number 7612. And I know that you mentioned exam no 9604, my list number for that exam number is 18xx. And for 7612 it's 20XX, so, I'm sure they're way passed me but they still have names on that list to go through that didnt accept the job, don't want it. etc. So, i guess I'm going to have to call one of the (347) phone numbers and talk to someone from MTA, and even follow up with an Email for that matter. +Young+ thanks again for your time in answering my question. And Thank you about the road test....it was hard but I'm happy I passed it, one less hurdle I have to deal with.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

is this list ta or oa?

7612 is a TA exam

6 hours ago, MarkieMark said:

I'm just wondering what is going on with this particular list. It's been awhile and nothing. I'm aware of the pandemic setting lots of things back not to mention the issues with the MTA and NYC as a whole but any info on who to contact or what to do if anything would be greatly appreciated 

This list should have been close to exhausted by now if they're calling names off of 9604, what is your list number if so? There were only like 2800+ who made it on this list.

• Harry unfeatured this topic
  • 10 months later...

My apologies for "bumping" this thread, however, according to this webpage, this list has been extended to October 17th, 2023. In addition, I also included instructions in the blue announcement box for those who wish to restore their name to the Civil Service List as well.

Good luck everyone!!

Edited by +Young+
Typographical correction