B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

4 hours ago, msmcmillan said:

Damn FLeXxX, you shouldn't have paid for the ticket so quickly. You don't know when Transit will call, and you could of plead "Not Guilty" , and got a lawyer to try to help you with the ticket. The lawyer could have won your case with no points before MTA called you.  Because you paid already you have to wait three years for those 6pts to come off because Transit only takes up to 4pts. 

I mean i was speeding lol there was no way to prove me not guilty. I'm just hoping if i ever get called i can just talk to them and explain it was my 1st ever offense and that i was speeding 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Alright. So first thing, top pay is after 5 full years of service. So when you start your 6th year, you'll be there.

When it comes to scheduling, it depends on the type of work that you pick. You will get to choose your work four times a year, roughly every 3-4 months. Now, the type of work you pick will determine your scheduling. There are 4 different types of work: Fixed/Straight Run, Work Run, Extra List & Vacation Relief. When you first get out of line training, more than likely, you will be on the extra list (XL).

With the XL, you are used to fill the open runs at the depot, if you are not on standby. Due to this, you won't have a fixed schedule. While they try to keep you in the same time frame (AMs, PMs, or overnights), this is not a guarantee. If you are in a PM slot and enough AM work is open, then you will be on an AM shift. XL assignments are usually posted by 3 PM at the depot, so you will know by then, what you will be doing the next day. If you are given a run, you will be given the start and finish time. If you are given a board job, then you will be on standby. I will explain the board job in a bit. Being on XL, you have the potential to do every route out of your depot, so you will be over the place.

Now while on board, you will still have a start time and a finish time 8 hours after, PROVIDED that they do not send you out on a run that finishes past your original end time. Being on board, you will be used when someone calls out, doesn't show up on time or when they need help around on the road or at the depot. Sometimes, you do absolutely nothing for those 8 hours, sometimes you do some work (and still finish within those 8 hours) and sometimes you get a run that finishes past those 8 hours. For example, you report for the board job at 12 PM and you finish at 8 PM. 4 hours in, they give you a whole run, that finishes at 1230 AM. You'll be done at 1230 and you will be given 8 hours off before you have to come back in again. XL has the same days off each week.

---------

Now with straight runs, you will be doing the same thing everyday, save for the weekends. However, you will either be dedicated to being AMs, PMs or overnights. Straight runs, you will come in at the same time, finish at the same time, same route, etc. The only exception to this, is if your run has a school trip at the beginning or end of your shift. When school is closed, your start and finish time respectively, will be different. You will have the same days off through the pick. Now some runs will have you around for 8 hours, some will have you for 12+. It depends on how the run is set up.

Work runs are more or less the same way. Your work may be different day by day BUT it will be that same schedule every week. Same days off each week.

--------

Finally, there is Vacation Relief. (VR) If you do pick this, then you will be covering the work of the operators on vacation for that week. You pick this work in seniority order (against everyone else on VR) in 3-5 week blocks. So your work AND days off will change every week but you will know what you will be doing, since because you picked it. (Unless you picked the extra list, in which then you're subjected to what I said above)

Thanks for the info its greatly appreciated

On 10/29/2018 at 9:00 PM, SoSpectacular said:

I wasn't able to come in for that exam either due to job constraints but I still received my list number and all that. Not sure how that works...

The emailed/letter had also stated if you passed the Boss 7105 exam then you will not get call to take the Boss for 7612 exam. So maybe you guys passed the 7105 why you did jot get call to do the Boss 7612 but got your listed number.

44 minutes ago, Chris628 said:

One guy i know he said starting pay is 32.50 and hour 

He must be talking about train operator. Bus operators starting pay is $23.84 for TA, Mabstoa and MTA Bus. MTA Bus new contract recently went into effect, so their pay is the same as TA and OA now.

2 hours ago, msmcmillan said:

I don't think they called anyone yet. Aren't they still working on exam #4600? I think they are still calling from that list. 

I don't think so either. Although that thread has been relatively quiet and not as busy compared to what we've seen in the past, the other day I was riding one of the buses out of the Jamaica Depot and I observed some line training going on, especially with the way the operator was driving. I asked the operator what exam he/she was hired off of and he/she did say Exam 4600.

Therefore, if I had to take an educated guess, they're probably finishing up that list and will begin calling from this one shortly.

Edited by +Young+

53 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I don't think so either. Although that thread has been relatively quiet and not as busy compared to what we've seen in the past, the other day I was riding one of the buses out of the Jamaica Depot and I observed some line training going on, especially with the way the operator was driving. I asked the operator what exam he/she was hired off of and he/she did say Exam 4600.

Therefore, if I had to take an educated guess, they're probably finishing up that list and will begin calling from this one shortly.

I did the pre-employment for the 4600 and then got that Article letter which had stated you were considered but we don't want you kind of letter.  I don't understand why, but I left it alone.

Edited by sisslims29

4 hours ago, Catz said:

What’s a article letter. 

Click here and here. The part that I personally don't understand is, from what I learned in a class I just took and from attending the "hiring pools" for other agencies, NYC Transit does not have hiring pools. In addition, they do not have a Commissioner, just a "President" who is Andy Byford. Finally, unlike NYPD, FDNY, NYC DOT, etc., they do not have regular board meetings, while the MTA does, with the exception of August. I just don't understand...

20 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

I did the pre-employment for the 4600 and then got that Article letter which had stated you were considered but we don't want you kind of letter.  I don't understand why, but I left it alone.

If we can stay on-topic, as far as posting in the relevant forum, as per the guidelines of the website, since there is a thread/topic for Bus Operator 4600, it would be appreciated.

That letter is crazy. The only thing I can think of is that DCAS is still involved with the certification process, so they can give us the 1-n-3 rule. I believe MTA is considered state not city, so we shouldn't even get those stupid letters. Why don't they just do the right thing and combine MTA Bus, OA and TA and have transit handle the certification process? But, as for now, they usually issue those letters when MTA doesn't like something in your background. 

On 11/3/2018 at 4:47 PM, msmcmillan said:

That letter is crazy. The only thing I can think of is that DCAS is still involved with the certification process, so they can give us the 1-n-3 rule. I believe MTA is considered state not city, so we shouldn't even get those stupid letters. Why don't they just do the right thing and combine MTA Bus, OA and TA and have transit handle the certification process? But, as for now, they usually issue those letters when MTA doesn't like something in your background. 

Oh okay. I guess my work history since they caught me off guard.  I hardly remembered jobs and dates which probably was accurate.  But that was sad man.