B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Greg1029 said:

This is ridiculous...like its making ger a panic attack...I tried to do a sleep study before but the insurance I have will only allow them to mail me the machine then I have to mail it back to them then they notify me of results...I think its going to take too long

Most of the people who had to do a sleep study would wind up reinstating their name since this does take at least a month. What's good though is that, if you have to do this, your list number stays the same so you'll have an advantage compared to somebody who has a lower list number than you.

14 hours ago, Dorrell Love said:

Question? On the exam info I've noticed that an accident record can disqualify someone, what does that mean? What if the accident is minor or your not at fault. Exactly what does that mean in detail? Does anyone know?

58 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

I've heard if you have more than two accidents you were involved in on your abstract, that may affect whether or not you get in...

You can have at max two accidents (at-fault or not) and four points. In addition, you cannot have any suspensions, DUI, DWI, etc. within the past three years.

An an example, say for example you currently have three accidents on your abstract and the oldest one took place December 9th, 2015. Since December 9th, 2018 falls on a Sunday, by the time you go down Monday, you'll be good to go. Just keep in mind that those defensive driving classes do not count as far as point violations are concerned.

In addition, if anyone had to go to court, for whatever reason, it is the date of the offense that counts, not the date of conviction.

21 hours ago, DLovo313 said:

Hey, what was the process like when you went for your medical?

What were the different steps the Physicians put you through?

As for the medical, I would invite you to refer to posts 925, 1517 & 3986 of the B/O 4600 thread.

In addition, I would invite you also to refer to posts 1175, 1220, 1241, 1269, 1541, 1667, 1918, 1922 & 2489 of the Track Worker 3600 thread. Although it is a different title, some of these posts go into more detail of what to expect for your physical. In addition, if you compare the medical physicals for the two different titles, 95% of the physical is very similar.

Hope this helps.

Edited by +Young+
Added valuable information regarding Medical

13 hours ago, DLovo313 said:

So some have said it's random. 

Just to add my two cents regarding the "random" that's going on:

According to this post, not everyone who received a score and list number took the BOSS, since this list contains 2,847 names which is worse than Exam 2613 which contained 3,621 candidates. Therefore, in an effort to get things 'moving' with this list, after selected candidates take a drug test to probably get them 'excited' about the job, the next step for these selected candidates is to take the BOSS exam which they previously failed to take for whatever reason. Again, with this list containing less names than Exam 2613 should say something to begin with.

If this is the case, then it makes sense why the folks who are taking Exam 9604 within the next two weeks are taking the BOSS and the civil service examination together, primarily to avoid any conflicts within or immediately outside of 180 Livingston Street.

Edited by +Young+

21 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Just to add my two cents regarding the "random" that's going on:

According to this post, not everyone who received a score and list number took the BOSS, since this list contains 2,847 names which is worse than Exam 2613 which contained 3,621 candidates. Therefore, in an effort to get things 'moving' with this list, after selected candidates take a drug test to probably get them 'excited' about the job, the next step for these selected candidates is to take the BOSS exam which they previously failed to take for whatever reason. Again, with this list containing less names than Exam 2613 should say something to begin with.

If this is the case, then it makes sense why the folks who are taking Exam 9604 within the next two weeks are taking the BOSS and the civil service examination together, primarily to avoid any conflicts within or immediately outside of 180 Livingston Street.

That makes a lot more sense. I was originally sent a notice to come in to take the BOSS back in July, but I could not make the date as I could not get that specific day off a week in advance due to being short on staff. I emailed the exams unit about other times to come take it but they say its only available on the first Wednesday of every month...

15 hours ago, Bsalick1992 said:

Wow that’s crazy because my list number is 1,2xx I haven’t received anything I check my email everyday 

Its random because my list number is 7xx and is schedule to be there 12/12 for pre-employment.  Hmmmm. 

Edited by sisslims29

12 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

Its random because my list number is 7xx and is schedule to be there 12/12 for pre-employment.  Hmmmm. 

They're known to do a lot of batch processing of list numbers so there's sometimes a huge variation of who's getting called and for when. Like I tell everyone, go to 180 in person, if you can. It's time out of your day, but they can definitely pinpoint what's going on with your process and advise you. If they know for a fact that they skipped you by mistake, they will tell you come in at any time to get caught up. Again, time from your day but slow movement is better than none.

5 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

They're known to do a lot of batch processing of list numbers so there's sometimes a huge variation of who's getting called and for when. Like I tell everyone, go to 180 in person, if you can. It's time out of your day, but they can definitely pinpoint what's going on with your process and advise you. If they know for a fact that they skipped you by mistake, they will tell you come in at any time to get caught up. Again, time from your day but slow movement is better than none.

That is why I am not stressing myself out. I already did this 3 times for other exams numbers and I'm  almost already tired doing the same time over and over. However, once I see people are being called for class/training that is when I will call or go in person. But for now since it is just paperwork I am good. They cannot go from 7xx to 14xx in a space of one day. Just to show you they are all over the place.

Edited by sisslims29

15 minutes ago, sisslims29 said:

...They cannot go from 7xx to 14xx in a space of one day. Just to show you they are all over the place.

Or, as I stated earlier, they're probably trying to get those selected candidates down to their facility for the BOSS exam, which would make sense why they are going "all over the place" with no class/training date being announced as of yet.

4 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Or, as I stated earlier, they're probably trying to get those selected candidates down to their facility for the BOSS exam, which would make sense why they are going "all over the place" with no class/training date being announced as of yet.

Maybe. Bit how do they class candidates for pre-employment before them even doing the BOSS exam first? Is this even possible?

17 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

Maybe. Bit how do they class candidates for pre-employment before them even doing the BOSS exam first? Is this even possible?

As far as I know, no. To my knowledge, this is the first time they're doing this, probably because of how short the list is with less than 3,000 names.

4 hours ago, cwing813 said:

Hi all, i have another question, do i need to check one of the box on the pre-employment under Motor Vehicle License info.

PERMANENT PROMOTION, PROVISIONAL PROMOTION, TEMPORARY PROMOTION, PERMANENT APPOINTMENT, PROVISIONAL APPOINTMENT, 

23 hours ago, +Young+ said:

As far as I know, no. To my knowledge, this is the first time they're doing this, probably because of how short the list is with less than 3,000 names.

And the list then will probably get smaller since some might fail the Boss exam.

4 hours ago, cwing813 said:

Hi all, i have another question, do i need to check one of the box on the pre-employment under Motor Vehicle License info.

PERMANENT PROMOTION, PROVISIONAL PROMOTION, TEMPORARY PROMOTION, PERMANENT APPOINTMENT, PROVISIONAL APPOINTMENT, NON-COMPETITIVE

Just leave that part blank. They will fill that part in or ask when you get there. When are you scheduled to be there?