B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was browsing around the MTA website and I saw this message on this page:

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612 (Updated 7/3/18):  Admission Letters were recently mailed to candidates that passed the multiple-choice test inviting them to complete the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) during the months of July and August. Please note that candidates that have already successfully completed the BOSS for another exam number (e.g., 7105, 7300) within the last year were not invited because they do not need to complete BOSS again for Exam No. 7612.

This explains why some people, like @blackmamba67, got an invitation, while I will not since I took the BOSS this past December for either MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA (don't recall).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 10:23 AM, DueceDrives said:

Reference Preferences..... Not guaranteed, but so far I know 3 that are currently Supt and came straight out of the  B/O seat without being a dispatcher.  

All the superintendent positions are resume jobs, so if you meet the qualifications, you can be hired off the street. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 5:40 PM, +Young+ said:

So I was browsing around the MTA website and I saw this message on this page:

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612 (Updated 7/3/18):  Admission Letters were recently mailed to candidates that passed the multiple-choice test inviting them to complete the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) during the months of July and August. Please note that candidates that have already successfully completed the BOSS for another exam number (e.g., 7105, 7300) within the last year were not invited because they do not need to complete BOSS again for Exam No. 7612.

This explains why some people, like @blackmamba67, got an invitation, while I will not since I took the BOSS this past December for either MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA (don't recall).

So I just took the boss exam on 7/26/18. I was wondering if we have a # or list for exam 7612? And if anyone would have a guess as to when the mta may start the next phase/step?

21 hours ago, New2this said:

So I just took the boss exam on 7/26/18. I was wondering if we have a # or list for exam 7612? And if anyone would have a guess as to when the mta may start the next phase/step?

We do, however the agency is not releasing it yet. The purpose of this is to try to eliminate some candidates from the list if they don't pass the BOSS.

As far as an educated guess: If you look at this post, they are up to the 7100's out of 8,221 candidates for the prior exam, B/O Exam 4600, in which the list expires in January of 2020 . Therefore, it all depends on the hiring needs of the agency. If I had to take an educated guess, since everyone does not make it, according to this video, I would probably say within the next 6 to 12 months. You also have to keep in mind those folks, like me, who plan on restoring their name to the prior list as well, in which my list number for B/O Exam 4600 is in the 1600's...

Edited by +Young+
Modification...

• 2 months later...

Just got a recorded message from MTA telling me that the list for exam 7612 has been established. It also said they my name would be added to the list and the letters will be mailed in a few weeks.  The recording then said that they plan on hiring from the list immediately. Good Luck to everyone !!!

12 hours ago, msmcmillan said:

Hey guys, I just received an email from NYCT about exam #7612. The list was established Oct. 17 and they will start calling from it soon! They will mail the test results in a few weeks. Everyone make sure you have all your paperwork and CDL permit. Good Luck!

What I find interesting though is that, according to The Chief and this site (by typing your last name or "7612" in the search box on the top right), the list has not been established yet!! And yet, for those who do not have the CDL, they're encouraging everyone to get their permits especially when they're only good for six months in which you have to re-take the exams in order to renew the permit?

I personally find this very interesting...

1. NYCT is Brooklyn, Queens & Staten Island. 

2. In the past, there were at least seven Independent bus lines throughout NYC. Queens Surface was one of them. They all merged into MTA Bus. 

3. MABSTOA is Manhattan & the Bronx. 

4. NJ Transit is hiring full time drivers as well. You'll be hired in two months. I've been here 2 years now and have 25 people below me in seniority already, with lots of student drivers coming in afterwards as well.. 

Good luck all!! 

On 10/24/2018 at 1:07 AM, +Young+ said:

What I find interesting though is that, according to The Chief and this site (by typing your last name or "7612" in the search box on the top right), the list has not been established yet!! And yet, for those who do not have the CDL, they're encouraging everyone to get their permits especially when they're only good for six months in which you have to re-take the exams in order to renew the permit?

I personally find this very interesting...

True, it doesn't come up on the website. But even more interesting is that some info does come up when you call DCAS!  (212) 669-1357 press #2 enter SS# and enter the exam# then press 1 for more info. The recording says basically what the email said. 

6 hours ago, msmcmillan said:

True, it doesn't come up on the website. But even more interesting is that some info does come up when you call DCAS!  (212) 669-1357 press #2 enter SS# and enter the exam# then press 1 for more info. The recording says basically what the email said. 

So the NYC Open Data website has been updated with the information. Out of 2,847 candidates, I originally got a 75% score on the exam with 20 incorrect answers. When I went to the Protest session, I submitted ten (10) protests and, as a result, my adjusted final average increased to 77.5% with my list number being in the 1900's.

With this said, I wonder how hard they're going to make Exam 9604 which is supposed to be administered this December...

19 hours ago, +Young+ said:

So the NYC Open Data website has been updated with the information. Out of 2,847 candidates, I originally got a 75% score on the exam with 20 incorrect answers. When I went to the Protest session, I submitted ten (10) protests and, as a result, my adjusted final average increased to 77.5% with my list number being in the 1900's.

With this said, I wonder how hard they're going to make Exam 9604 which is supposed to be administered this December...

I jus seen my score and I got a 80 does anybody know how fast they start calling back after the eligible list is realese btw does anybody know wat cdl permit endorsements that’s needed to start process 

2 minutes ago, mrem37 said:

General, Passenger & Air Brakes 

And if you need help studying, you can use the practice tests which can be found here. Just note that the site comes out of Ohio, therefore I would also read the CDL manual as well. If there are any discrepancies, I would rely on the manual and not on the website.

12 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

And if you need help studying, you can use the practice tests which can be found here. Just note that the site comes out of Ohio, therefore I would also read the CDL manual as well. If there are any discrepancies, I would rely on the manual and not on the website.

Thank you 

Yes. If you want to become a bus operator, you have to start driving like a normal person. Meaning zero points and having two closed tickets. 

Then start reading the drivers manual and memorizing every detail of the book. The General is 50 questions and the Passenger & Air Brakes is 20-25 questions each. 

There are numerous practice questions online to prepare you for the tests. 

Then for extra fun, you have to take the state brake test, inside the bus inspection test, and outside the bus inspection test. 

Once you pass all that, you'll have to drive the bus through an obstacle course without hitting the cones. Oh, and then comes the actual driving test. 

Cool, you passed all that? Then comes the weekly tests during school, to make sure you have what it takes to become a full time bus operator.  

Now, go get that drivers manual and start studying.. 

Good Luck! 

13 minutes ago, Richi3stayfly said:

I got 4 points on my driver lincense and 2 open tickets wit dmv would that effect my chance wit this bus operator position ? 

I don't think the 4 pts are a problem, but the open tickets are.  When they call you for pre-employment you can't have any open tickets. If they are tickets that don't involve more points added on your record. I think you are okay paying them when Transit calls you. If they add more points, it could mess things up depending on when they start calling people and your list#. If they take a few years to call us in, you could get a lawyer to help straighten them out.  Also, when does the 4 pts drop off?  Its all down to what kind of tickets and when they start hiring.  

5 hours ago, msmcmillan said:

I don't think the 4 pts are a problem, but the open tickets are.  When they call you for pre-employment you can't have any open tickets. If they are tickets that don't involve more points added on your record. I think you are okay paying them when Transit calls you. If they add more points, it could mess things up depending on when they start calling people and your list#. If they take a few years to call us in, you could get a lawyer to help straighten them out.  Also, when does the 4 pts drop off?  Its all down to what kind of tickets and when they start hiring.  

I’m not sure wen they drop off I got them like 3-4 years ago for a speeding violation how can I find out about dropping points