B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, U4real said:

Received my list number 9x for exam 7612. I just  submitted my letter of resignation from MTA Bus part time , to start Mabstoa on the 11/12. I completed the medical last week for OA. If I get called for TA, before I start Mabstoa, do I have to do the Medical and drug test again?

What's the different between Mabstoa and TA whe it comes to salary, benefits and O/t? Which one work which boroughs? Help.

9 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

What's the different between Mabstoa and TA whe it comes to salary, benefits and O/t? Which one work which boroughs? Help.

9 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

With TA you are civil Service employee, it’s job security. TA operates out of all 5 borough. Mabstoa doesn’t work in Queens and Staten Island. Salary is the same. 

On 10/26/2018 at 8:06 PM, +Young+ said:

According to this post, you can have four points maximum. In addition, you have to wait at least three years for them to come off - even if you take a Defensive Driving Class, as far as the MTA is concerned, that does nothing. Therefore, especially since the list contains about 2,850 names, you will probably have to restore your name to the list after the points come off your license.

Also, please keep in mind that all of us, including myself and the other moderators are volunteers. Therefore, although you're anxious for answers, you need to have patience. Eventually one of us will answer your question, however we all have lives, between work, school, family, second jobs, etc.

Hi everyone,  hey young so are you saying that even tho you might got a number in 25xx you still might have a chance of getting called due to the amount of people that might of failed or just did not show up?  And if so will you say it will take more than 2 years to reach that list number.. any info is much appreciated thanks 

On 10/27/2018 at 5:24 PM, +Young+ said:

If you look at the proposed answer keys which can be found here, you'll notice that the exam was only given on October 15th and November 18th. In addition, on October 15th, the exam was administered at two high schools - Midwood High School and Franklin D. Roosevelt High School in Brooklyn. Therefore, if each session at one school holds about 2,000 people, times that by four (two sessions at two high schools) and you get about 8,000 people. Again, this is an educated guess.

In addition, according to what was said in this post, I have a "gut" feeling a lot of people didn't pass...after all, the list does consist of approximately 2,850 people and that's it.

Hey, this is the post I was referring to,

so my list number is 25xx I was surprised I even got in with my score , I was even more shocked to find out I did not bad lol. But am glad to be in.. will you say that because this list is short even tho am so far off I still might have a chance of getting called in a year or two... thanks I want to get your opinion... thanks once again!!

Hi all, just want to know i currently have class A, but do i need to get a class B for this? i heard some people said it must have class B to obtain this job. and for P endorsement, i already pass the written test from DMV but do i need to take a road test?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Dopeqdriver said:

Does anybody  have an idea of how many hours do an bus operator work roughly? Does anyone know if is 40 hours or more? Is overtime easily accessible? Do you work 60hours anybody? Thanks 

It depends on the runs you get when you're working the list and when you pick your run. You can have a 40 hour run for the week and be in charge of your bus (driving+layover) for 38 of them. There's others where you're on the clock for 14 hours but only driving for 6. There's others where you go out more than two times and have multiple breaks throughout the shift. For example, the run I worked last week was 9:23 from start to finish, but I was with the bus for 6:52 and on break altogether for 2:11, paid 8:18.

You are guaranteed to be paid at least 8 hours every day, regardless of what you do. There are different rules to calculating the pay for a run (because I know you're thinking how they got 8:18 for 9:23) I can explain it to you if you're genuinely interested. As for OT, it's definitely there. Some weeks it'll be dry, some weeks it'll be abundant, but it's there. 

2 hours ago, Db24 said:

I recieved my letter on Saturday my number is 3XX...does anyone know how long it will take to be called?

Most likely within the first year of when they first calling off this list.

34 minutes ago, cwing813 said:

Hi all, just want to know i currently have class A, but do i need to get a class B for this? i heard some people said it must have class B to obtain this job. and for P endorsement, i already pass the written test from DMV but do i need to take a road test?  Thanks.

Yes, you will have to take the road test after the 10 day training.

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

It depends on the runs you get when you're working the list and when you pick your run. You can have a 40 hour run for the week and be in charge of your bus (driving+layover) for 38 of them. There's others where you're on the clock for 14 hours but only driving for 6. There's others where you go out more than two times and have multiple breaks throughout the shift. For example, the run I worked last week was 9:23 from start to finish, but I was with the bus for 6:52 and on break altogether for 2:11, paid 8:18.

You are guaranteed to be paid at least 8 hours every day, regardless of what you do. There are different rules to calculating the pay for a run (because I know you're thinking how they got 8:18 for 9:23) I can explain it to you if you're genuinely interested. As for OT, it's definitely there. Some weeks it'll be dry, some weeks it'll be abundant, but it's there. 

Most likely within the first year of when they first calling off this list.

Yes, you will have to take the road test after the 10 day training.

I would like to know more about possible scenarios with scheduling during a work week. And do you know when, how many yrs to hit top pay? Thanks for your time

Quick question.

Did any of you guys take the BOSS survey?! 

I was reading that if you didn’t take the BOSS Survey then you wouldn’t get your score exam or list number. 

I didn’t take my BOSS exam because I am in school car for train operator but I somehow still received my score and list number 

1 hour ago, Elfamoso2020 said:

Quick question.

I was reading that if you didn’t take the BOSS Survey then you wouldn’t get your score exam or list number. 

I didn’t take my BOSS exam because I am in school car for train operator but I somehow still received my score and list number 

I took the BOSS and got my score and list number

2 hours ago, Elfamoso2020 said:

Quick question.

I wasn't able to come in for that exam either due to job constraints but I still received my list number and all that. Not sure how that works...

12 hours ago, Dopeqdriver said:

Hi everyone,  hey young so are you saying that even tho you might got a number in 25xx you still might have a chance of getting called due to the amount of people that might of failed or just did not show up?  And if so will you say it will take more than 2 years to reach that list number.. any info is much appreciated thanks 

Definitely!! Always think positive, they will eventually reach your list number. As far as how long it takes, it might take two years, it might be sooner, it might be longer...just make sure to follow this thread/topic for updates. There are a lot of variables, including how many vacancies need to be filled, how many people do not show up, how many people fail the initial drug test, etc.

12 hours ago, Dopeqdriver said:

Hey, this is the post I was referring to,

so my list number is 25xx I was surprised I even got in with my score , I was even more shocked to find out I did not bad lol. But am glad to be in.. will you say that because this list is short even tho am so far off I still might have a chance of getting called in a year or two... thanks I want to get your opinion... thanks once again!!

See the above comment.

8 hours ago, cwing813 said:

If you have the Class A, mind I ask what endorsements and restrictions you have? The reason why I'm asking is because when I initially attempted the 10-day training session, I had a Class A Permit with a "P" endorsement (click here for a full list of endorsements and restrictions for New York State residents). Since I failed the 10-day training session, I went ahead and took a road test in a tractor trailer. When that happened, I initially had a Class A CDL with a "N2" restriction. Since Transit does not allow any passenger-related restrictions, as a result of getting the "S" endorsement, I got a Class B Permit and I took another road test in a bus. As a result of all of that, I now have a Class A in which I'm able to drive either a tractor trailer and/or any kind of bus.

44 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

I wasn't able to come in for that exam either due to job constraints but I still received my list number and all that. Not sure how that works...

If I had to take an educated guess, since this list is unhealthy with less than 3,000 names, unlike the last list which had about 8,200 names, I personally think they just waived the BOSS exam altogether.

13 hours ago, +Young+ said:

If you have the Class A, mind I ask what endorsements and restrictions you have? The reason why I'm asking is because when I initially attempted the 10-day training session, I had a Class A Permit with a "P" endorsement (click here for a full list of endorsements and restrictions for New York State residents). Since I failed the 10-day training session, I went ahead and took a road test in a tractor trailer. When that happened, I initially had a Class A CDL with a "N2" restriction. Since Transit does not allow any passenger-related restrictions, as a result of getting the "S" endorsement, I got a Class B Permit and I took another road test in a bus. As a result of all of that, I now have a Class A in which I'm able to drive either a tractor trailer and/or any kind of bus.

Hi Young, 

i don't have any endorsements and restrictions, since i will need "P" endorsement for this job, will the training session provide that? or i have to schedule road test?

On 10/26/2018 at 5:29 PM, FLeXxX said:

Hey everyone. (Sorry if this is a repeat question) So i got the notice that i have been placed on the eligible list. So i am going to start studying to get my CDL. But I'm just wondering how long before someone gets called? Also I just recently got 6 points on my license for speeding. This is my first time getting points taken ever! I have paid that ticket already and I hope this doesn't affect anything. Also is the difference between TA and MaBSTOA is that TA is Brooklyn Queens and Staten Island and MaBSTOA is Bronx and Manhattan? 

Thanks.

Damn FLeXxX, you shouldn't have paid for the ticket so quickly. You don't know when Transit will call, and you could of plead "Not Guilty" , and got a lawyer to try to help you with the ticket. The lawyer could have won your case with no points before MTA called you.  Because you paid already you have to wait three years for those 6pts to come off because Transit only takes up to 4pts. 

22 minutes ago, msmcmillan said:

Damn FLeXxX, you shouldn't have paid for the ticket so quickly. You don't know when Transit will call, and you could of plead "Not Guilty" , and got a lawyer to try to help you with the ticket. The lawyer could have won your case with no points before MTA called you.  Because you paid already you have to wait three years for those 6pts to come off because Transit only takes up to 4pts. 

Does anyone know if they look at the date the ticket was issued or the date that  you were found guilty in trial? 

33 minutes ago, cwing813 said:

Hi Young, 

i don't have any endorsements and restrictions, since i will need "P" endorsement for this job, will the training session provide that? or i have to schedule road test?

You will have to take the road test either which way. The MTA will schedule and take you to your road test after you pass the initial 10 day qualification. However, if you want to do the road test on your own before training starts, you are more than free to do so.

18 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

You will have to take the road test either which way. The MTA will schedule and take you to your road test after you pass the initial 10 day qualification. However, if you want to do the road test on your own before training starts, you are more than free to do so.

Noted, thank you.

18 hours ago, New2this said:

I would like to know more about possible scenarios with scheduling during a work week. And do you know when, how many yrs to hit top pay? Thanks for your time

Alright. So first thing, top pay is after 5 full years of service. So when you start your 6th year, you'll be there.

When it comes to scheduling, it depends on the type of work that you pick. You will get to choose your work four times a year, roughly every 3-4 months. Now, the type of work you pick will determine your scheduling. There are 4 different types of work: Fixed/Straight Run, Work Run, Extra List & Vacation Relief. When you first get out of line training, more than likely, you will be on the extra list (XL).

With the XL, you are used to fill the open runs at the depot, if you are not on standby. Due to this, you won't have a fixed schedule. While they try to keep you in the same time frame (AMs, PMs, or overnights), this is not a guarantee. If you are in a PM slot and enough AM work is open, then you will be on an AM shift. XL assignments are usually posted by 3 PM at the depot, so you will know by then, what you will be doing the next day. If you are given a run, you will be given the start and finish time. If you are given a board job, then you will be on standby. I will explain the board job in a bit. Being on XL, you have the potential to do every route out of your depot, so you will be over the place.

Now while on board, you will still have a start time and a finish time 8 hours after, PROVIDED that they do not send you out on a run that finishes past your original end time. Being on board, you will be used when someone calls out, doesn't show up on time or when they need help around on the road or at the depot. Sometimes, you do absolutely nothing for those 8 hours, sometimes you do some work (and still finish within those 8 hours) and sometimes you get a run that finishes past those 8 hours. For example, you report for the board job at 12 PM and you finish at 8 PM. 4 hours in, they give you a whole run, that finishes at 1230 AM. You'll be done at 1230 and you will be given 8 hours off before you have to come back in again. XL has the same days off each week.

---------

Now with straight runs, you will be doing the same thing everyday, save for the weekends. However, you will either be dedicated to being AMs, PMs or overnights. Straight runs, you will come in at the same time, finish at the same time, same route, etc. The only exception to this, is if your run has a school trip at the beginning or end of your shift. When school is closed, your start and finish time respectively, will be different. You will have the same days off through the pick. Now some runs will have you around for 8 hours, some will have you for 12+. It depends on how the run is set up.

Work runs are more or less the same way. Your work may be different day by day BUT it will be that same schedule every week. Same days off each week.

--------

Finally, there is Vacation Relief. (VR) If you do pick this, then you will be covering the work of the operators on vacation for that week. You pick this work in seniority order (against everyone else on VR) in 3-5 week blocks. So your work AND days off will change every week but you will know what you will be doing, since because you picked it. (Unless you picked the extra list, in which then you're subjected to what I said above)